Boy kills himself with family gun


mentalfloss
#1
Boy kills himself with family gun

A boy of three shot himself dead after finding his father's gun in their car during a stop at a US service station.

The father had put the pistol under the seat and got out to fill the tank while the mother went inside the convenience store, leaving their son and baby daughter in the car.

The boy climbed out of his child seat, found the gun and shot himself in the head. He was declared dead at hospital. The girl was not injured.

Detectives in Tacoma, Washington questioned the parents and called the shooting a tragic accident. The father has a concealed weapons permit, and no charges were anticipated.

It was the third recent shooting by a child in western Washington."It is incredible in light of the other ones," said policeman Naveed Benjamin. "You would think people would take more care, not less."

Washington state does not have a law specifically concerning child access to firearms.

The shooting follows the death of the seven-year-old daughter of a police officer on Saturday when her brother found a gun and fired while the parents were out of their car. And on February 22, an eight-year-old girl was critically wounded in a classroom when a gun fired inside the backpack of a nine-year-old boy as he put it on a desk.

"It's another tragedy in a very short period of time," Officer Benjamin said. It highlights the need for people to secure guns, he said.

"You can't predict what children are going to do," he said. "You need to unload and lock it up if you're not carrying it. ... It's really not that hard to practice firearm safety."

Twenty-seven states have some form of law to prevent child access to firearms, but Washington is not one of them. Such laws can include criminal penalties for adults who allow children to get their hands on guns.

The Press Association: Boy kills himself with family gun (external - login to view)



 
#juan
#2
What the hell is a "family gun"?
 
damngrumpy
#3
Every family down there has a channel changer for the TV why not a family gun?
I suppose this will bring out the spring ban gun brigade. Just as sure as the flowers
return for the season the calls for ban everything will begin. Now I agree that the
guns people have should be secured and hand guns need to be registered. Not
for criminals as much as for police going to domestic disputes.
There has to be accountability but we need not punish everyone for the stupidity
or neglect of the few, punish them not everyone else. It is a sad day for the family
though, what a waste of a life.
 
lone wolf
+4
#4
Odd how it never makes news when a kid drowns in the family swimming pool - even when both parents leave the kids unattended
 
WLDB
+2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Odd how it never makes news when a kid drowns in the family swimming pool - even when both parents leave the kids unattended

I've seen stories like that in the news before. Some parents are idiots.

Who the hell leaves a loaded gun in a car with a kid without at least having a safety lock on?
 
skookumchuck
#6
This shows as being posted under "fun and jokes" am i missing something?
 
Colpy
+5
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Boy kills himself with family gun

A boy of three shot himself dead after finding his father's gun in their car during a stop at a US service station.

The father had put the pistol under the seat and got out to fill the tank while the mother went inside the convenience store, leaving their son and baby daughter in the car.

The boy climbed out of his child seat, found the gun and shot himself in the head. He was declared dead at hospital. The girl was not injured.

Detectives in Tacoma, Washington questioned the parents and called the shooting a tragic accident. The father has a concealed weapons permit, and no charges were anticipated.

It was the third recent shooting by a child in western Washington."It is incredible in light of the other ones," said policeman Naveed Benjamin. "You would think people would take more care, not less."

Washington state does not have a law specifically concerning child access to firearms.

The shooting follows the death of the seven-year-old daughter of a police officer on Saturday when her brother found a gun and fired while the parents were out of their car. And on February 22, an eight-year-old girl was critically wounded in a classroom when a gun fired inside the backpack of a nine-year-old boy as he put it on a desk.

"It's another tragedy in a very short period of time," Officer Benjamin said. It highlights the need for people to secure guns, he said.

"You can't predict what children are going to do," he said. "You need to unload and lock it up if you're not carrying it. ... It's really not that hard to practice firearm safety."

Twenty-seven states have some form of law to prevent child access to firearms, but Washington is not one of them. Such laws can include criminal penalties for adults who allow children to get their hands on guns.

The Press Association: Boy kills himself with family gun (external - login to view)



I say it again, as I said it over and over and over to my students: there are only two acceptable places for a loaded handgun to be: in the holster on your hip, or in your hands.

Period.
 
CDNBear
+2
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

This shows as being posted under "fun and jokes" am i missing something?

Fuzzy thinks little kids shooting themselves in the head is funny.

That's how he rolls.
 
DaSleeper
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

This shows as being posted under "fun and jokes" am i missing something?

Maybe someone has a warped mind????????
 
Colpy
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Fuzzy thinks little kids shooting themselves in the head is funny.

That's how he rolls.

an error, methinks.

perhaps the moderators could move it to "in the news".....
 
CDNBear
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

an error, methinks.

Fuzzy doesn't make those.
 
Niflmir
+3
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Odd how it never makes news when a kid drowns in the family swimming pool - even when both parents leave the kids unattended

Actually, people get up in arms about that too. For that reason it is against the law to own a pool and not have a very large fence around your yard.
 
CDNBear
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

Actually, people get up in arms about that too. For that reason it is against the law to own a pool and not have a very large fence around your yard.

Two, in my region.

One around the yard, and another around the pool.
 
Niflmir
+2
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Two, in my region.

One around the yard, and another around the pool.

Ridiculous. Honestly, there needs to be some sort of selection in life. I would like to think that people survived to become adults not because other people dulled all the sharp edges to life.
 
CDNBear
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

Ridiculous. Honestly, there needs to be some sort of selection in life. I would like to think that people survived to become adults not because other people dulled all the sharp edges to life.

Amen to that!!!
 
lone wolf
+4
#16
Kinda scary to think I grew up with painted metal dashboards, no seat belts, lead paint, walks to and from school and unsupervised after school (as both parents worked)
 
SLM
+3
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Kinda scary to think I grew up with painted metal dashboards, no seat belts, lead paint, walks to and from school and unsupervised after school (as both parents worked)

Lol. You and me both.

Why my childhood would killed a kid today!
 
TenPenny
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Boy kills himself with family gun

A boy of three shot himself dead after finding his father's gun in their car during a stop at a US service station.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what a gun is for? To kill people?
 
Colpy
+3
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what a gun is for? To kill people?

Actually, handguns are made for a bunch of reasons: to kill game, to punch holes in targets, or to provide the ability to stop an attacker.

In the first instance, killing is the entire point, in the second there is no correlation, and in the third killing is simply an unpleasant side effect.

But, like practically everything else, weapons need to be handled correctly to be safe.......
 
talloola
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Actually, handguns are made for a bunch of reasons: to kill game, to punch holes in targets, or to provide the ability to stop an attacker.

In the first instance, killing is the entire point, in the second there is no correlation, and in the third killing is simply an unpleasant side effect.

But, like practically everything else, weapons need to be handled correctly to be safe.......

yep, just like a car, people kill others with their vehicle all the time, and get a slap on the wrist.

the car is no different than a loaded gun.

a friend of ours, many years ago, ran over his own child in their driveway, drinking and driving, killed
his child, then drank all the more, a ruined man at the age of 25, never recovered.

the parents were negligent, and careless, they will be punished by the memory of what they did, and what
that cost their child, for the rest of their lives.
 
TenPenny
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Actually, handguns are made for a bunch of reasons: to kill game, to punch holes in targets, or to provide the ability to stop an attacker.

In the first instance, killing is the entire point, in the second there is no correlation, and in the third killing is simply an unpleasant side effect.

But, like practically everything else, weapons need to be handled correctly to be safe.......

You so funny, you must be on city council.

The 'punch holes in targets' is a derivative use, using targets instead of people. To kill game is a pathetic attempt; tell me, who hunts deer or ducks with a handgun in North America?

The third is stupid - the whole point is to kill people, and you hope the intruder runs away first. That's the whole point of a handgun, if it wasn't meant to kill people, you wouldn't carry it for self defense, you'd carry a banana. The whole point of a handgun is that it is for killing people, and you hope people are scared off by it. That's the point of it.
 
CDNBear
#22

Pistol deer hunt - YouTube

 
skookumchuck
#23
It seems these days that people spend much time feeling sorry for illegal drug addicts, wanting lately to supply them with drugs even though they made a wrong choice.
However, an argument can be made that the choices these addicts made are responsible for numerous deaths in the drug trade, not just among themselves, that would mean all illegal drug addicts share the responsibility.
How does that stack up against the very very small percentage of legal gun owners involved in an accidental death or murder due to a wrong choice? Why should they all share the responsibility when they have not made a wrong choice? Do anti gun types feel sorry, even for those few? Or do they merely reload their rhetoric and carry on?

Simple, consider it a wrong choice to own a firearm
 
mentalfloss
+1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Fuzzy doesn't make those.

No, I fuzzed up. I posted this in a hurry before leaving work. Colpy suggested 'In the news' - that's fine.
 
CDNBear
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

No, I fuzzed up. I posted this in a hurry before leaving work.

That's why you shouldn't blow a fatty, right after you get up.
 
mentalfloss
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

That's why you shouldn't blow a fatty, right after you get up.

You blow fatties?
 
CDNBear
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

You blow fatties?

Obviously not, I'm not the one, that "Fuzzed up".

Maybe you shouldn't blow fatties and post either. You keep Fuzzing up.
Last edited by CDNBear; Mar 14th, 2012 at 07:13 PM..
 
taxslave
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

That's why you shouldn't blow a fatty, right after you get up.

Who waits that long? Or don't you smoke in bed?
 
CDNBear
+1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Who waits that long? Or don't you smoke in bed?

I don't partake.

I'd feel like a Fuzzy if I Fuzzed up and posted an article like this in the haha sub section.
 
bobnoorduyn
+2
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

You so funny, you must be on city council.

The 'punch holes in targets' is a derivative use, using targets instead of people. To kill game is a pathetic attempt; tell me, who hunts deer or ducks with a handgun in North America?

The third is stupid - the whole point is to kill people, and you hope the intruder runs away first. That's the whole point of a handgun, if it wasn't meant to kill people, you wouldn't carry it for self defense, you'd carry a banana. The whole point of a handgun is that it is for killing people, and you hope people are scared off by it. That's the point of it.

First, you punch holes in paper to become proficient with the firearm for the same reason I have to go to sim every six months to be proficient in what I do. You hope to never have to kill someone just as I hope to never have to deal with the catastophic failures simulated in the sim. But when you do have to meet the challenge, you are able to react decicively because of training and repetition rather than by guesswork or instinct.

Second, yes, handguns are used for hunting. I have used my .22 Ruger to hunt grouse. I have fired a Thompson Centre Contender that was chambered in .257 Roberts, ideal for deer and I can hit a 4" steel target a 100 yards, and buddy also has a .410 shot barrel and a .410 slug barrel for it. I want one in 300 Savage, (because I already have the dies for reloading them). They are only illegal for hunting in Canada because our wimpy Canadian masters have an irrational fear of hanguns. Hunting pistols are as accurate and powerful as rifles. I was not convinced until we tested both with chronometers and other high tech gear. The only advantages a rifle has over a pistol are that they give a more stable shooting platform while standing and the weight helps to absorb the recoil. The barrel length of a rifle is actually a detriment to accuracy because it flexes, the longer the barrel, the more the flex, or whip.

Third, yes, all basic firearm designs come from the need to kill, though they can be modified for different purposes, but the basic design is the same. A handgun is designed as a defense firearm, it is a reactive tool. If you go looking for action, take some friends, and a tank. A pistol allows you to fight your way back to your gun. It also allows you to get yourself out of a threatening situation, a banana won't do that. Sure you hope you'll scare away the assailant, but you have the access to force if you need it. At my age, I know I can't outrun or fight my way out of a situation. Defense of self and those under my care is a basic human right and that far and away trumps anyone else's right to the "feeling" of safety.
 

Similar Threads

118
Montreal family kills daughters
by damngrumpy | Feb 3rd, 2012
18
GW Kills Science
by Scott Free | Jun 30th, 2008
0
Man Kills Family With Carbon Monoxide
by sanctus | Oct 21st, 2007
no new posts