Jann Arden kicked off Via Rail train for boarding with dog

B00Mer
Jann Arden kicked off Via Rail train for boarding with dog

OTTAWA — Juno-award winning singer Jann Arden has unleashed a furious Twitter tirade against Via Rail after she was kicked off a train for travelling with her pint-sized dog Midi.

The Canadian singer-songwriter was on her way to Ottawa from Toronto on Sunday to perform at the National Arts Centre, but was asked to disembark in Oshawa, Ont., because the company doesn’t allow pets to travel in passenger cars.

Arden, 49, immediately turned to Twitter, where she shared her displeasure with about 38,000 followers.

“Midi and I got booted off of via rail on route to Ottawa . . . scrambled and am in a town car now,” she tweeted at 11:03 a.m. She added soon after: “To clarify the kicked off train thing . . . you apparently can’t have little quiet dogs in bags who are sound asleep I might add. S—balls . . .”

The acerbic singer’s Twitter feed was active for much of the afternoon.

She told the company to “eat my bra” and asked what it would have done “with an 86 yr old woman with a little dog in a bag? Dump HER at the next station?”

And she claimed she was dropped off “in the middle of nowhere,” when in fact it was Oshawa, where she said she hired a car and driver to bring her the rest of way to Ottawa in time for the concert.

“The show will go on!” Arden tweeted.

Sunday night, at the NAC’s stage door, Arden said many Via Rail employees saw the dog without informing her of the policy before the “drink cart guy” made an issue of the three-year-old female “morky” — part Maltese, part Yorkshire terrier.

Source: Jann Arden kicked off Via Rail train for boarding with her Yorkshire terrier-cross | News | National Post

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

LOL I never even new of Jann Arden until I saw her on Rick Mercer Report..

Geeez watching this, my balls shrink up like peas.. I don't like heights!!!

L Gilbert
+1
Just wondering, are you going to cut n paste in here every news article you see?

B00Mer
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Just wondering, are you going to cut n paste in here every news article you see?

Nope just the Interesting Canadian news..

I am giving mentalfloss a run for his money..

btw, this is posted under NEWS..

WLDB
It annoys me how difficult companies make it to travel with animals.

Ariadne
+4
#5  Top Rated Post
Did Arden think that she was special and that she did not have to follow the rules? When did she become so obnoxious? Who in their right mind travels with an animal but doesn't check the rules?

"Pets — excluding guide dogs (external - login to view) — are not allowed in passenger cars. They must travel in the baggage car, which means aboard trains that offer checked baggage service."

Travelling with pets on board the train | VIA Rail (external - login to view)

talloola
+2
yeah, why should she be given special consideration, she's no better than anyone who loves their dogs,
and would love to travel with them.

rules are rules, and I agree with VIA rail, kick her butt off the train.

B00Mer
... or maybe she can become a spokes person for changing the laws in Canada to make travel more accessible for pet owners.. (cats & dogs)

I support her.. just hope the sword she just fell on wasn't too sharp.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

yeah, why should she be given special consideration, she's no better than anyone who loves their dogs,

Do you think that everyone should have the right to take their pet cat, dog, rabbit and snake into the passenger compartment? Are you suggesting that VIARail should change their rules, or are you suggesting that a loud mouth, obnoxious (by the sounds of it) woman should have been able to have her way after violating the widely available rules?

Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

... or maybe she can become a spokes person for changing the laws in Canada to make travel more accessible for pet owners..

I support her.. just hope the sword she just fell on wasn't too sharp.

Loud mouthed women with pets should have more rights than people with allergies to pets?

The woman had every right to take her pet with her, all she had to do was put it in the baggage cart with the other pets. Did she think the rules only applied to other people?

talloola
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Do you think that everyone should have the right to take their pet cat, dog, rabbit and snake into the passenger compartment? Are you suggesting that VIARail should change their rules, or are you suggesting that a loud mouth, obnoxious (by the sounds of it) woman should have been able to have her way after violating the widely available rules?

Loud mouthed women with pets should have more rights than people with allergies to pets?

The woman had every right to take her pet with her, all she had to do was put it in the baggage cart with the other pets. Did she think the rules only applied to other people?

you better read my post again, I said the exact opposite.

Niflmir
+1

I agree with you that rules are rules, and she doesn't deserve special treatment. But having been on many a train with many a dog while I was in Germany, I don't see the point of this particular rule. I think the train over a flight is a logical choice for a person with a dog.

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

The rule allows for guide dogs. What will the allergic people do then?

Either allow all on or none.

I'm in favour of all.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

I agree with you that rules are rules, and she doesn't deserve special treatment. But having been on many a train with many a dog while I was in Germany, I don't see the point of this particular rule. I think the train over a flight is a logical choice for a person with a dog.

This could be a huge marketing tools for Via rail to step up and say they change the rules to allow caged dogs and cats under 25 lbs.

They may get 1000's of new customers and pull them away from the Air Lines..

Locutus
+1
Poor poor Jann.

lone wolf
+3
How Insensitive....

Ariadne

you better read my post again, I said the exact opposite.

Sorry ... I need to stop multitasking ... can't do it right anymore.

This could be a huge marketing tools for Via rail to step up and say they change the rules to allow caged dogs and cats under 25 lbs.

They may get 1000's of new customers and pull them away from the Air Lines..

They'll lose a thousand customers. I can't be near someone that has cat hair on their clothes without have a serious allergic reaction. I say keep the pets in the baggage compartment where they belong.

SLM
+1

Sunday night, at the NAC’s stage door, Arden said many Via Rail employees saw the dog without informing her of the policy before the “drink cart guy” made an issue of the three-year-old female “morky” — part Maltese, part Yorkshire terrier.

See that right there, in bold. That's the reason small breed dogs should not be allowed to be inter-bred. The "new breed" created always has a really stupid name.

A purse pooch is not a real dog anyway. It's just a facsimile of a dog, lol.

Quote:

I'll assume that's the one where they went on the walk outside of the CN Tower and I won't press play.

Kakato
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

How Insensitive....

I got that one!

Locutus
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

How Insensitive....

You don't know me...

lone wolf
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

You don't know me...

Holy Moses! I'm A Million Miles Away

Serryah

LOL I never even new of Jann Arden until I saw her on Rick Mercer Report..

I watched the video and the entire time I was seriously waiting for either one of them to fall. I think if I had balls, they would have shrunk up, too. I don't just like heights, the one time I went to Toronto and saw the CN tower from the ground up, I got dizzy and almost fell over.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SerryahView Post

I I don't just like heights, the one time I went to Toronto and saw the CN tower from the ground up, I got dizzy and almost fell over.

LOL, Me too! You couldn't pay me enough to go up there!

skookumchuck
What a shame! Rule enforcers having the temerity to go against the wishes of a Diva. I mean, a real live Diva, give yer heads a shake! Oh and btw rule makers, I could be wrong but IRC she may be part of a minority as well, now you may have really done it.

talloola
I would imagine there would be many many people who would love to take their dog on a long train ride with
them, BUT I can see the other side of it.

Many people are very irresponsible with their pets, don't give a damn about where they 'do what', then
just wipe it up, the pets have to pee and poop, should they build pet bathrooms or?, on the train.

Pets sleep somewhere, all over the chairs and beds of train cabins, then the clean up after is much
more than usual, the dog smell that would be left in cabins or on seats.
I always have had a dog, sometimes 2 or 3 dogs, but I don't expect via rail to put up with our dog
residue left on the train.

Whatever rules there would be about what you are or are not allowed to do with your
dog on the train, would be ignored by many pet owners.

People who are allergic to animals have to be considered.

damngrumpy
+1
Good God someone could not travel with their pet dog? What is the world coming to?
Can you imagine if we all brought our dogs, cats, snakes and chickens when we went
on vacation or business? The railroad has a policy and I would think it applies to all of
us. I suppose it comes down the the fact that we are all equal except that some are
more equal than others.

lone wolf
As much as I love my dog, and as much as he likes to go everywhere with me, there are just some places he can't be and people I wouldn't want to expose him to

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

The railroad has a policy and I would think it applies to all of
us.

Not the blind!

taxslave
+3
Son of a bitch. The rich and famous DO have to follow the same rules as the rest of us. Kind of takes all the fun out of being someone.

bill barilko
Arden is a nauseating character-it's difficult to imagine someone more full of themself.

B00Mer
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Arden is a nauseating character-it's difficult to imagine someone more full of themself.

That's easy..... Rosie O'donnell

Locutus
+1
I look forward to seeing her nude layout in Zoomer Magazine.