U.S. soldier kills up to 16 Afghan civilians

Ariadne
Sure he had a head injury ... he bumped his head on a vehicle when he was getting out of it. I think everyone in the world has that "head injury".

"An official told ABC News that the soldier has suffered a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI) in the past, either from hitting his head on the hatch of a vehicle or in a car accident. He went through the advanced TBI treatment at Fort Lewis and was deemed to be fine."

abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=15900289 (external - login to view)

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

So I guess the man that went on a home-invastion style murderous rampage in the middle of the night, slaughtering small children, amongst others, has been protected by the US and will not be prosecuted for his crimes by the people he slaughtered. I wonder what would happen if a US murderer disguised as a soldeir came to Canada and did the same thing ... would the US grab their man and sneak him out of the country so that Canadians could not have justice? I think it's rather disgusting that mass murderers that are born in the US and commit their crimes in foreign countries are protected by their government.

Are you referring to this Soldier or how many others are you aware of?

CDNBear
+2

Sure he had a head injury ... he bumped his head on a vehicle when he was getting out of it. I think everyone in the world has that "head injury".

Your's seems far more severe than his...

Quote:

U.S. official said that during a recent tour of duty in Iraq, the suspect suffered a head injury in a traffic accident. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the matter is under investigation. The vehicle accident was not a combat-related event, the official said. There was no available indication about the extent of the injury, or whether his injury could be linked to any abnormal behaviour afterward.

But don't let that stop your head injury from making up whatever you like, to suit your imagination.

Goober
+1

"An official told ABC News that the soldier has suffered a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI) in the past, either from hitting his head on the hatch of a vehicle or in a car accident. He went through the advanced TBI treatment at Fort Lewis and was deemed to be fine."

Soldier Held in Afghan Civilian Massacre Had Brain Injury, Marital Problems - ABC News (external - login to view)

Are you aware of the massive trauma inflicted on a body that hits an IED?

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Are you referring to this Soldier or how many others are you aware of?

I'm only talking about the mass murderer that "underwent mental health screening necessary to become a sniper and passed in 2008. He had routine behavioral health screening after that and was cleared". This particular murderer was not acting as a soldier, he was nothing more than a routine murderer that should have been prosecuted by the people he harmed ... in Afghanistan.

How does one accidentally burn a bunch of religious books!

Are you aware of the massive trauma inflicted on a body that hits an IED?

He had full physical and psychological testing and he was completely cleared.

Did he hit an IED? I don't think that happened.

CDNBear

I'm only talking about the mass murderer that "underwent mental health screening necessary to become a sniper and passed in 2008. He had routine behavioral health screening after that and was cleared". This particular murderer was not acting as a soldier, he was nothing more than a routine murderer that should have been prosecuted by the people he harmed ... in Afghanistan.

Who received a head injury, in a traffic accident.

Have a plate in my head, from a traffic accident in a military vehicle, I can assure you, it isn't like a civilian vehicle, in the most remotest sense.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Your's seems far more severe than his...

At least my bump on the head didn't leave me obsessed with sex - eh.

CDNBear

What does that have to do with this case?

Quote:

In 2008, he received a head injury after that.

At least my bump on the head didn't leave me obsessed with sex - eh.

Not that I'm obsessed with sex, aside. No but it left you utterly stupid apparently.

Ariadne

Who received a head injury, in a traffic accident.

Have a plate in my head, from a traffic accident in a military vehicle, I can assure you, it isn't like a civilian vehicle, in the most remotest sense.

He may have bumped his head in car accident.

No but it left you utterly stupid apparently.

I'm not utterly stupid.

CDNBear

He may have bumped his head in car accident.

You may have a clear thought.

Only one of those hasn't been proven false yet.

Quote:

I'm not utterly stupid.

Completely than.

lone wolf
+2

And you're absolutely positive his li'l boo-boo on the noggin had nothing to do with it? I mean ... it's gone from bumping his head on a vehicle to mild traumatic brain injury within the scope of one post. Medical science is still researching the effects of head injury. Why not share your expertise? Hell, I may even be able to take advantage of that....

How do buildings accidentally burn?
How do airplanes accidentally fall out of the sky?
How do the whites get mixed with the dark laundry?

Human error maybe?

Ariadne

You may have a clear thought.

Only one of those hasn't been proven false yet.

Completely than.

No comprendez ... no speak partial thought.

CDNBear

No comprendez ...

Completely stupid it is. Thanks for removing all doubt.

Goober

1- You do not know what happened.

2- Soldiers with head trauma are routinely sent back into combat

3- Soldiers suffering from PTSD are issued meds - sent back to the field.

4- He will be tried by the us Military -

5 - Why would he be tried in Afghanistan Think about it

6- If the Korans were mixed in with a number of things - shxt happens.

Ariadne
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

And you're absolutely positive his li'l boo-boo on the noggin had nothing to do with it? I mean ... it's gone from bumping his head on a vehicle to mild traumatic brain injury within the scope of one post. Medical science is still researching the effects of head injury. Why not share your expertise? Hell, I may even be able to take advantage of that....

How do buildings accidentally burn?
How do airplanes accidentally fall out of the sky?
How do the whites get mixed with the dark laundry?

Human error maybe?

If he had a head injury that was so significant that it would excuse a murderous rampage, he should have been discharged. The fact that he successfully completed all physical and psychological tests after the head injury indicates that this "head injury" was not significant enough to warrant any concerns. It sounds like a post-event excuse.

Regarding the book burning, if a pile of bibles was going to be set on fire, would you believe that the person starting the fire was completely oblivious to the fact that they were bibles? I wouldn't.

Cliffy
At the risk of snide and sarcastic remarks from the peanut gallery: I have had a severe head trauma from being hit by a logging truck who was traveling at 90 km/hr and I have never come close to wanting to kill anybody.

Ariadne

Completely stupid it is. Thanks for removing all doubt.

So you're a smart guy that can't think of anything more clever to say than "you're completely stupid"?

CDNBear
+1

1- You do not know what happened.

She thinks she does.

Quote:

4- He will be tried by the us Military -

As convention dictates. Just like in Canada.

But than we come back to the same old same old, anti Americanism BS. It gets in the way clear thought for people Ad.

SLM
+1

So I guess the man that went on a home-invastion style murderous rampage in the middle of the night, slaughtering small children, amongst others, has been protected by the US and will not be prosecuted for his crimes by the people he slaughtered. I wonder what would happen if a US murderer disguised as a soldeir came to Canada and did the same thing ... would the US grab their man and sneak him out of the country so that Canadians could not have justice? I think it's rather disgusting that mass murderers that are born in the US and commit their crimes in foreign countries are protected by their government.

Quote:

U.S. Secretary of Defence Leon Panetta said the soldier may face capital charges

That's protection?

Now everything else that I read in that article about this incident is prefaced with things like "officials spoke on condition of anonymity" which usually means they're still investigating and they haven't laid charges yet. The police do it here all the time, frankly I sometimes wonder why they bother even holding a press conference they reveal so little.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

At the risk of snide and sarcastic remarks from the peanut gallery: I have had a severe head trauma from being hit by a logging truck who was traveling at 90 km/hr and I have never come close to wanting to kill anybody.

That sounds about right. Hockey players, cyclists, car accident victims ... the list goes on and on .. and if any one of those people with a bump on the head went on a murderous rampage, the head injury wouldn't make any difference when it came to prosecution. It's like rapists that claim, after they've been caught, that they had an unfortunate childhood. It makes no difference.

Goober

And that means what?

CDNBear

If he had a head injury that was so significant that it would excuse a murderous rampage, he should have been discharged. The fact that he successfully completed all physical and psychological tests after the head injury indicates that this "head injury" was not significant enough to warrant any concerns. It sounds like a post-event excuse.

It's potential mitigating circumstance.

Quote:

Regarding the book burning, if a pile of bibles was going to be set on fire, would you believe that the person starting the fire was completely oblivious to the fact that they were bibles?

Irrelevant.

Neither have I. But I have met people with severe head trauma, that have suffered severe nightmares, that have cause insomnia, and that causes all manner of other psychosis.

So you're a smart guy that can't think of anything more clever to say than "you're completely stupid"?

I said utterly, you said you were utterly stupid, then went on to express complete stupidity.

Work on it.

Goober
+1

That sounds about right. Hockey players, cyclists, car accident victims ... the list goes on and on .. and if any one of those people with a bump on the head went on a murderous rampage, the head injury wouldn't make any difference when it came to prosecution. It's like rapists that claim, after they've been caught, that they had an unfortunate childhood. It makes no difference.

How about doing a tad of research before coming to such an asinine conclusion.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

That's protection?

Now everything else that I read in that article about this incident is prefaced with things like "officials spoke on condition of anonymity" which usually means they're still investigating and they haven't laid charges yet. The police do it here all the time, frankly I sometimes wonder why they bother even holding a press conference they reveal so little.

So the guy may face capital charges? What are the alternatives?

CDNBear
+1

That sounds about right.

Wrong as usual.

Quote:

Hockey players, cyclists, car accident victims ... the list goes on and on .. and if any one of those people with a bump on the head went on a murderous rampage, the head injury wouldn't make any difference when it came to prosecution.

Wrong again, as usual.

Quote:

It's like rapists that claim, after they've been caught, that they had an unfortunate childhood. It makes no difference.

Three for three.

Ariadne

What is assinine - that I don't believe a bump on the head is a defence when it comes to murder?

CDNBear

Back to completely it is...

What is an assinine - that I don't believe a bump on the head is a defence when it comes to murder?

Bump on the head?

Do you have a link to a quote of that description in the media?

Goober
+1

So the guy may face capital charges? What are the alternatives?

Well yours would be to hand him over to the Afghanis. Who would sentence him to death, same day and off with his head. All done within hours

It is apparent you have no idea of what constitutes Justice in Afghanistan.

CDNBear
+1

It is apparent you have no idea.

Full stop.

FIFY.

Ariadne
+1

Back to completely it is...

Bump on the head?

Do you have a link to a quote of that description in the media?

I posted a link upthread. The guy had a head injury, possibly from a car accident, and after the accident he was cleared physically and psychologically. According to medical doctors and psychologists, there was nothing wrong with him when he was trained as a sniper in 2008, after the head injury. It's absurd to look for anything in the guy's past to excuse what he did.

Well yours would be to hand him over to the Afghanis. Who would sentence him to death, same day and off with his head. All done within hours

It is apparent you have no idea of what constitutes Justice in Afghanistan.

The US practices capital punishment ... so what's the problem?

no new posts