Why we Muslims must stop the flogging of the Teddy Bear teacher

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
British teacher, Gillian Gibbons, faces a year's jail or 40 lashes in Sudan. Her crime? Naming a teddy bear "Mohammed". Saira Khan, a British Muslim and author, speaks out....

Why we Muslims must stop the flogging of the Teddy Bear teacher

By SAIRA KHAN
29th November 2007
Daily Mail

Saira Khan: "I call upon all of us who are proud to be British and Muslim to voice our protest"

Sudan, Africa's largest country by land area, gained independence from Britain in 1956. With a teacher threatened with 40 lashes for naming a teddy bear "Mohammed" it seems that the British were unsuccessful in civilising the Sudanese

At first glance, you could be forgiven for thinking the story was some sort of joke.

A nice, middle-aged British teacher locked up in a primitive North African prison, facing the prospect of 40 lashes simply because she called her class's teddy bear Mohammed.

But this is far from funny; it's deadly serious.

Gillian Gibbons is discovering, to her cost, that the Islamic state of Sudan is one of the most primitive and repressive countries in the world.

It's a country where brutal Sharia law is the norm, where no Sudanese woman would dare leave the house with her head uncovered and where the barbaric rite of female circumcision is still routinely practised.

Mrs Gibbons, in short, is in terrible danger - she has now been charged with insulting religion - and desperately needs our help.

By "our" help, I don't just mean that of the Government and diplomatic service.

I mean Britain's Muslim community, who must now unite in condemnation of this shocking and shameful persecution of an innocent woman.

I call upon all of us who are proud to be British and Muslim to voice our protest. We should demonstrate outside the Sudanese Embassy in London. We should make our voices heard in the street and the media. We must say, loud and clear, that we find this case despicable.

This is the perfect opportunity for us to show that Islam is not the faith of hatred and intolerance that many imagine it to be.

But sad to say, I'm not holding my breath. For there is a real danger that, within the British Muslim community, the extremists are winning the ideological battle - making it difficult, dangerous or downright impossible for moderate Muslims to stand up and be counted.

As a moderate Muslim who is outraged at the creeping tentacles of extremism, I will not be silenced.

I believe the treatment of Mrs Gibbons brings shame upon the peace-loving faith that I practise. If this woman is guilty of anything, it is only of naivety.

After all, it was not she who chose the bear's name in the first place. It was the children in her class, who selected it simply because it is the most popular boy's name in Sudan - just as it is in many parts of Britain's cities with large Muslim populations.

Venture into a playground in certain parts of Birmingham or East London and shout "Mohammed" and I'll wager that half the boys in the playground will turn round.

It's a name we love and respect and, as such, it's a name we give to many of our male offspring.

If I was six or seven years old and growing up in an Islamic state - as the children in Mrs Gibbons's class are - and thinking up a name for a class mascot, Mohammed would be the first one I'd settle on, too.

Not out of mockery, but from pride and tradition.

Dress: Sharia law insists women cover up

But the increasingly powerful Islamic thought police claim that calling a teddy bear Mohammed is disrespectful of the Prophet and must be punished. This is absurd on so many levels that it beggars belief.

For a start, if we are searching for people who have truly disrespected the faith, how about men like Mohammed Siddique Khan, the July 7 suicide bomber, or Mohammed Atta, the leader of the attack on the World Trade Centre?

It is Mohammeds like these, with their barbaric acts of murderous violence, who have brought the greatest shame on the name of our beloved Prophet, not some child's teddy bear.

So where are the protests about these men's offence again Islam? Where are the Muslims calling for the fanatics to be rooted out and punished?

The answer, all too often, is that they are concealing their outrage for fear of being targeted by extremists or branded "un-Islamic".

That is not only cowardly, it is dangerous. For if we moderates stay silent, then all the wider British public hears is the angry voices of the fanatics.

Take, for example, the reaction to a series of crass cartoons depicting the Prophet that were published in a Danish magazine two years ago.

Now, as a Muslim, I share the belief that neither Allah nor Mohammed should be represented visually (it is based on the compelling principle that no human hand could ever do their image justice).

As such, the cartoons were certainly crude and insensitive. But the sheer viciousness of the backlash from fanatical Muslims advocating jihad was out of all proportion to the perceived offence.

Around the world, Muslims-rose up in violent protests that led to more than 100 deaths. Is it any wonder, then, that so many of my non-Muslim friends now see Islam as a cruel, violent and unforgiving faith, totally at odds with the kind, tolerant religion that my father taught me about as a child?

I know I am not alone in pleading for moderation and understanding. But so many of us would rather withdraw into the safety of our own families than confront the hatred that is carried out in our name.

We cannot allow this to continue. And right now we have the perfect opportunity to seize back the agenda. We must speak up for Mrs Gibbons - a thoroughly decent woman who never meant to cause offence.

This is the moment for the Council of British Muslims, the unelected body (of men) who claim to speak for Muslims in this country, to step up and condemn in the strongest possible terms what is going on in Sudan - and indeed in Saudi Arabia, where a young women faces being publicly lashed 200 times for the "crime" of being raped.

dailymail.co.uk

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Mrs Gibbons named a class mascot Mohammed - in the interests of promoting good feelings to Islam. How many Muslim mothers have named their as$holes (sons) Mohammed? Freakin drama!

Woof!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Everyone should name everything Mohammed and complain about due proccess. Stupid laws call for drastic measures. Kind like the crack down on pot smokers in Canada and even more so in the US.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There is a huge differewnce between calling a son Muhammad and calling a teddy bear Muhammad. The name means praise worthy, it's revered by Muslims. But calling an inanimate object Muhammad is idolatry, which is a cardinal sin in Islam. Muslims take idolatry very seriously. Worshiping a crucifix would be idolatry. By definition it is, but Christianity seems to have forgotten the worship of idols as something to be cautious of.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I wonder who that stupid teacher worked for realy, you'd think she'd know about a cultural phuck-up like that wouldn't you, I mean how many teddys are called JesusChrist right. She was a **** disturber, the lash is to good for her. I wonder what OJ thinks about it?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The kids are the ones who wanted to name it Mohammed... perhaps they should whip them too? Teach those little bastards a lesson.

I just named my coffee mug Mohammed, my lips are on Mohammed.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The kids are the ones who wanted to name it Mohammed... perhaps they should whip them too? Teach those little bastards a lesson.

I just named my coffee mug Mohammed, my lips are on Mohammed.

At least you didn't name your socks Muhammad. The feet are considered quite dirty I'm told. Or imagine naming a toilet seat Muhammad8O

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
At least you didn't name your socks Muhammad. The feet are considered quite dirty I'm told. Or imagine naming a toilet seat Muhammad8O

haha, disposable Mohammed toilet seat covers, I bet they would sell great in Karthoun. I think I need to start up an export company, specializing in insulting your religions.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The teddy-bear is the real victim here, what's become of him, has he been flogged.?

he has been sentenced to 2 years of hard labour and 4000 lashes. I am going to get PETA on this case, they'll stand up for Teddy's rights, or maybe I'll send in Team America-World Police:lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
haha, disposable Mohammed toilet seat covers, I bet they would sell great in Karthoun. I think I need to start up an export company, specializing in insulting your religions.

I'm sure it's not too hard to insult religions. I have none, have at er:lol:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Traditional Christian teaching holds that suffering builds character.

Therefore, let her languish in jail and take the 40 lashes. Heck, let her ask for more (in Christian parlance that's called walking the extra mile). That would make her even more Christian!

Alternately, some good martyr out there may offer to become her human shield as becomes a good Christian.

Therefore, you must NOT stop the flogging of that errant teacher!!;-)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

According to the dictates of her culture, this is a fine fashion statement.

As we Yanks say, to each his/her own. Therefore, she is free to believe what she wants.