CFB Trenton Commander Charged with Murder

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Interesting news item from the Globe and Mail:

A senior military official faces a pair of first-degree murder charges in two separate Ontario slayings.
Police said Monday that Colonel Russell Williams, 46, of Tweed, Ont., has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Jessica Lloyd, of Belleville, Ont., who went missing Jan. 28.
As well, he faces a second count of first-degree murder in the death of Marie Comeau, a Corporal with 437 Squadron at Canadian Forces Base Trenton.
Col. Williams, who is a commander at CFB Trenton, also faces two counts of forcible confinement and two counts of break and enter and sexual assault.

During a visit at 8 Wing/Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Defence Minister Peter MacKay and General Walter J. Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff, are pictured with Colonel Russ Williams (far right), Wing Commander of 8 Wing/CFB Trenton, on Jan. 17, 2010. (Combat Camera)

Early reports Monday suggested that Col. Williams's home in Tweed had been cordoned off while police searched the residence.
Ms. Lloyd was reported missing after she failed to show up for her job with the Tri-Board Student Transportation Services in Napanee, Ont. The last time anyone heard from Ms. Lloyd was at 10:36 p.m. on Jan. 28 when she sent a text message to a friend.
Cpl. Comeau was found murdered in her Brighton, Ont., residence on Nov. 25, 2009.
Col. Williams enrolled in the Canadian Forces in 1987 after receiving his degree in economics and political science at the University of Toronto, according to his official biography.
While posted to squadrons in Shearwater, N.S., and Ottawa he flew the CC144 Challenger.
He was promoted to lieutenant colonel in June 2004, and was commanding officer of 437 Squadron in Trenton for two years.
Between December 2005 and June 2006, he was the commanding officer for Camp Mirage, the secretive Canadian Forces forward logistics base that's not officially acknowledged by the government or military but has been widely reported to be near Dubai.
His Defence Department biography says he is married.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It sounds like the case against Williams is going to grow as more women turn up to report assaults. Hopefully he had just started killing with these two.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Perhaps point-man in IED scouting in Afghanistan may be a great job for the hemorrhoid.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I can only assume that these killings and the other two sexual assaults are not the first in this guy's history. I wonder how many assaults were not reported because of the man's rank and influence. The guy was a four striper who's word was normally accepted as better than God's. I would bet that Williams had been assaulting women for quite a few years and the killings were the final escalation that got him caught..

Last edited:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
This guy was my son's former Commanding Officer.

All silly comments aside about "kharma" or as said on a CBC forum "what to expect from a trained killer."

This is a shock, but people tend to forget that soldiers are normal citizens of this Country who also, despite the uniform, have the occasional monster step into their midst.

I hope people are able to separate the two as the case against this individual unfolds.

Cheers
M

Reactions: Ron in Regina

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This guy was my son's former Commanding Officer.

All silly comments aside about "kharma" or as said on a CBC forum "what to expect from a trained killer."

This is a shock, but people tend to forget that soldiers are normal citizens of this Country who also, despite the uniform, have the occasional monster step into their midst.

I hope people are able to separate the two as the case against this individual unfolds.

Cheers
M

Hey, the guy used to fly the PM and the GG around. I was in the military and yes we were trained to kill, but we were also trained to save lives. This Williams is an ugly anomoly that will show up now and then. He wasn't planned.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Hey, the guy used to fly the PM and the GG around. I was in the military and yes we were trained to kill, but we were also trained to save lives. This Williams is an ugly anomoly that will show up now and then. He wasn't planned.

Couldn't agree more.

aman12

Feb 22, 2009
Hay River,NT
To say that this is a shock is an understatement.This officer is an anomaly and should not be used against the CF in any way. As an Air force officer myself, I can only say that this person in no way rflects the service.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Yep.

**** happens.

And this guy is ****.......or at least he is accused of being ****.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yep.

**** happens.

And this guy is ****.......or at least he is accused of being ****.

God Colpy, it would really be **** if Williams was found innocent. I think they likely have enough evidence to hang the guy tomorrow if needs must, but I think there will be a long, drawn out, trial with a lot more victims than we have right now.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It sounds like the case against Williams is going to grow as more women turn up to report assaults. Hopefully he had just started killing with these two.

He is also being the target of an investigation into a woman who was murdered in 2001, so it looks like there may be more victims out there that they may(or may not) know about.:-(

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Seeming he was stationed elsewhere they will be looking for other unsolved deaths in those areas and time window he was there.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I would expect that the evidence must be pretty strong, because he's a pretty high profile figure.

There are nutjobs in every profession, so you can't use him as an 'example' of anything.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The elite of nut cases make it as far as he did in the climb to the top. In the news, the evidence seems to point out Williams is a good candidate for stretching a rope - or firing squad considering one of the dead is a Corporal