Haitian airport backlog- what's your suggestion?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Chavez et al. are being opportunists. A few posters here as well. Petty, opportunism.

So, what's your alternative? How would you land more airplanes? Where do they taxi, and "park"? How about shipping? Very few deep water ports.

Out with it. What idea do you have that works better?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Build new runways- but given the time that would take and immediate needs of the country, it's unfeasible.

I think the countries involved are doing the best with the infrastructure that remains.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
How about that port the cruise ship used, the bay looks usable and it is not that far away?

It's 60 miles away and is a private beach. Hardly a port for unloading tons of supplies. Did you see a pier? A dock?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If folks - many experienced with aircraft carriers - can't find a way to stack them up on the tarmac, there really can't be a lot of ways to do it at that airport. Hovercraft may be able to get stuff from ship to beach. What happens at the beach though?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Haiti Relief Effort Faces ‘Major Challenge’ - NYTimes.com
"Large shipments of supplies cannot yet reach the capital by sea, either, because of heavy damage to Haiti’s largest seaport at Port-au-Prince. Richard Lebrun, a spokesman for Terminal Varreux, the company that operates the main port facilities, said that its two terminals in the city were destroyed by the quake. Thirty dock workers who had been unloading freight drowned when the quake struck Tuesday, the company said.

Cap Haitien, a port on the north side of the island, was likely to become the primary port for relief supplies.

But Richard Dubin, the vice president of Haiti Shipping Lines, based in Miami, said Cap Haitien could handle only a third of the volume of Port-au-Prince."

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Get the choppers in the air offloading the supplies from the ships. Drop the supplies inside the blocked off areas. Station some of the troops in there to keep control and start dishing out the goods. Expediency should be the order of the day. Everyday without food, water and medical care is another day closer to death for some of these people. One week later and they're still trying to figure this out.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It's 60 miles away and is a private beach. Hardly a port for unloading tons of supplies. Did you see a pier? A dock?
I was going by this report.
"The Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines' ship Independence of the Seas went ahead with its scheduled stop at a fenced-in private Haitian beach surrounded by armed guards, leaving its passengers to "cut loose" on the beach, just a few kilometers from one of the worst humanitarian disasters in the region's history. The ship's owners justified it as a humanitarian call, because the ship also delivered 40 palettes of relief supplies while its passengers frolicked on zip-lines and ate barbeque within the 12-foot-high fence's perimeter:"
Cruise ships still find a Haitian berth | World news | The Guardian

How was the aid that was dropped off delivered?

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Much of the confusion in Hati is because its own citizens have been denied control of relief efforts. There are far to many alien gun bearers in Hati and there has been for five years.

barney

Electoral Member
Aug 1, 2007
Hovercraft may be able to get stuff from ship to beach. What happens at the beach though?

Set-up floating piers to accommodate cargo carriers. Set up large-scale relief camps near targeted coastal areas. Move people there. Use military road-building systems to rapidly build working roads between airport, primary populated areas and beach landing sites to facilitate movement of people and supplies. Coordinate a continuous stream of supplies and relief personnel to these points.

For reference as to how to go about doing this, see WW2 Normandy.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Much of the confusion in Hati is because its own citizens have been denied control of relief efforts. There are far to many alien gun bearers in Hati and there has been for five years.

TOO FUNNY!

So the people on the ground should just leave the supplies and let the Haitians claw and fight for them? Maybe the roving bands of machete gangs can be in charge?

Good grief Charlie Brown.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I would think that the USN and USMC would have the capability to land large amounts of cargo on a beach without port facilities......the only question being where in the world are the necessary assets?????

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I heard the remark, all I was saying is where is there any sign of the aid. The person also mentioned 1995. What do you mean they can't carry supplies of they just don't. I'm pretty sure they come with cargo hooks.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I heard the remark, all I was saying is where is there any sign of the aid. The person also mentioned 1995. What do you mean they can't carry supplies of they just don't. I'm pretty sure they come with cargo hooks.

So there are no clips out there of aid being delivered...or were you just selective with this one because it just carried troops?