Pickup truck drivers are the worst drivers on the road..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You would think that if one was driving at the prescribed 110 kph on a mountain highway, the most likely vehicle to pass you would be a Porche, or a Mustang GT, or something low, sleek, and Italian............But no...........On a recent trip to Calgary and back, the vehicles that passed me on a corner, or on a blind hill while I was going seventy miles an hour, were mostly big, four door, pickup trucks. Pickup truck drivers seem to be unaware that their vehicles require twice the distance to stop in an emergency than most cars. In Nanaimo, where I live, there have recently been a number of accidents involving these big, overpowered, gas guzzling monsters. Owning and using one of these vehicles to commute back and forth to work, is both irresponsible and stupid.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
You would think that if one was driving at the prescribed 110 kph on a mountain highway, the most likely vehicle to pass you would be a Porche, or a Mustang GT, or something low, sleek, and Italian............But no...........On a recent trip to Calgary and back, the vehicles that passed me on a corner, or on a blind hill while I was going seventy miles an hour, were mostly big, four door, pickup trucks. Pickup truck drivers seem to be unaware that their vehicles require twice the distance to stop in an emergency than most cars. In Nanaimo, where I live, there have recently been a number of accidents involving these big, overpowered, gas guzzling monsters. Owning and using one of these vehicles to commute back and forth to work, is both irresponsible and stupid.

Not bright to be sure. But are these trucks not being given away at bargain prices. Power is one thing in a vehicle designed for it but a pick-up ... I think not.

scratch

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol
The purpose of a pickup has changed. They used to be for scooting into town to bring back lumber and things of that nature. Now they are partially a fashion statement (or something of that nature) and partially security blanket for the owner.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Not bright to be sure. But are these trucks not being given away at bargain prices. Power is one thing in a vehicle designed for it but a pick-up ... I think not.

scratch
Wrong. The worst drivers are those that drive those pi$$assed little compacts who dart in and out and think they are invincible... until they are smeared all across the highway when they tangle with a pick-up.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Wrong. The worst drivers are those that drive those pi$$assed little compacts who dart in and out and think they are invincible... until they are smeared all across the highway when they tangle with a pick-up.
......... and minivan drivers who think they can drive their minivans like they are driving sports vehicles.

BTW, I think some of the compact drivers' attitude is the same as the attitude of short men .... I call it the little big-man syndrome.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
lol
The purpose of a pickup has changed. They used to be for scooting into town to bring back lumber and things of that nature. Now they are partially a fashion statement (or something of that nature) and partially security blanket for the owner.
I have a pick-up because I tow a boat and am constantly haulling stuff to and from my cottage. It is by no means a speed machine.

A fashion statement? A security blanket? I don't think so!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I have a pick-up because I tow a boat and am constantly haulling stuff to and from my cottage. It is by no means a speed machine.

A fashion statement? A security blanket? I don't think so!
And I use mine for transporting heavy loads like lumber, cement, machines, and such, too. So, what? However, I see many people driving pickups so they can carry groceries home. I see celebrities spending hundreds of thousands on stereos and wonderful paintjobs for their pickups. I see people driving pickups because they like being able to see over compacts. I see people driving pickups because they feel safer.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
And I use mine for transporting heavy loads like lumber, cement, machines, and such, too. So, what? However, I see many people driving pickups so they can carry groceries home. I see celebrities spending hundreds of thousands on stereos and wonderful paintjobs for their pickups. I see people driving pickups because they like being able to see over compacts. I see people driving pickups because they feel safer.
And they are safer in pick-ups.

I also see great paint jobs on muscle cars, stereos worth thousands of dollars in compacts, so what is your point????

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I also see great paint jobs on muscle cars, stereos worth thousands of dollars in compacts, so what is your point????

That's actually not true.Pickups are not safer.

Here's an amusing story from an ER doc forum:

Here's a twist on this idea:

Recently, a man was brought in to the ER to see me, who had been in a car crash and was pretty banged up. His pickup truck was hit head on by another vehicle. He repeatedly stated how lucky he was that he was in his 6000 pound truck and that it probably saved his life. Nevertheless, he had significant injuries, fractures, cuts and abrasions and the truck was completely totalled. I asked him what kind of car hit him.

“It was an old lady in a Subaru,” he said.

“Wow, what happened to her?” I asked, assuming she had been flown to another hospital.

“Oh she walked away,” he said, clearly perturbed that she was uninjured despite her tree-hugger car.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
That's actually not true.Pickups are not safer.

Here's an amusing story from an ER doc forum:

Here's a twist on this idea:

Recently, a man was brought in to the ER to see me, who had been in a car crash and was pretty banged up. His pickup truck was hit head on by another vehicle. He repeatedly stated how lucky he was that he was in his 6000 pound truck and that it probably saved his life. Nevertheless, he had significant injuries, fractures, cuts and abrasions and the truck was completely totalled. I asked him what kind of car hit him.

“It was an old lady in a Subaru,” he said.

“Wow, what happened to her?” I asked, assuming she had been flown to another hospital.

“Oh she walked away,” he said, clearly perturbed that she was uninjured despite her tree-hugger car.

...not surprised....have seen a Mini take on a Lincoln and win...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

I already said my point. Not my problem if you can't understand it. But I will explain it again, pickups are not solely used for utilitarian purposes, but also for aesthetic purposes and the illusion of safety.
Here's a metaphor describing our conversation for you: I say, water is for dissolving things in and providing something for fish to swim in. You say I am wrong and that it is for drinking.

I say you are right but I am not wrong.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I already said my point. Not my problem if you can't understand it. But I will explain it again, pickups are not solely used for utilitarian purposes, but also for aesthetic purposes and the illusion of safety.
Here's a metaphor describing our conversation for you: I say, water is for dissolving things in and providing something for fish to swim in. You say I am wrong and that it is for drinking.

I say you are right but I am not wrong.
So what? People use pick-ups for several things. Same as Corvettes, VWs, Porches, Civics, etc etc.

AL67

May 13, 2007
Alberta
Last time I checked this was still a free country, you can drive what ever hell the law will allow you, you drive what you can afford, I drive a pick-up because I have a camper, boat, sleds I don,t drive it to be cool or to make a statement, that is what I require and need.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I drove a nice little pick-up truck this summer, as well as last summer. My dad's 4-cylinder S-10. Good on gas, and has the space to haul my landscaping tools/supplies when needed. Wouldn't handle a load of pavers very well, but that's what the bigger work trucks were for :D

Also, I would have been the guy that drivers in those Duramax and Cummins beasts were swearing at through the Crowsnest pass. Some of those hills were hard on that little truck! lol
Lean forward Dad! lol

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
You are funny. I haven't heard anyone else complaining so apparently you are the only one that thinks that I don't have a point. This indicates that you are the only one that cannot understand my point. I am sorry for you.

As I said, to a lot of people the purpose of having a pickup truck has changed. They are used for aesthetics and a sense of security as well. If one takes an item with a single use and starts using it for a couple other purposes, there will indubitably be more of that item around in a short timespan. More uses for the pickup leads to more pickups which leads to more drivers using them which leads to more bad drivers using them. It's a pretty simple concept to grasp for most people.

I have another point, there are bad drivers in ANY kind of vehicle. To state that pickup drivers are the worst is simply ranting unless you can back the statement up with evidence.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I couldn't resist this one.

There’s an old joke that pickup trucks don’t have “black box” recorders because before every accident you’d hear the same thing, “Hey woman, hold my beer and watch this…“

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
You are funny. I haven't heard anyone else complaining so apparently you are the only one that thinks that I don't have a point. This indicates that you are the only one that cannot understand my point. I am sorry for you.

I have another point, there are bad drivers in ANY kind of vehicle. To state that pickup drivers are the worst is simply ranting unless you can back the statement up with evidence.
LOL, I think if you check back in this thread, it was not me who complained that pick-up drivers were the worst. Not only you talk pointless points you can't read as well...:p