Should A Dead Person Be Allowed To Sue For The Right To Die?

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... gloria taylor who sued to make it legal for the right to a doctor-assisted suicide has died. however, for some reason the government is allowing her lawsuit to proceed -- even though she's dead ...

... story HERE ...

... should taylor's petition be allowed to continue even though she's no longer in need of a doctor-assisted suicide? i see it as a perversion of justice to allow a dead person to sue for anything ...

... any comments on this?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Aside from the legal ramifications of this case on living people there are a great many bureaucraps and liars still wanting to make much money off the case.

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
Aside from the legal ramifications of this case on living people there are a great many bureaucraps and liars still wanting to make much money off the case.
... precisely. it's obviously a good money maker for the lawyers so why not keep the machine rolling on, petitioner or no petitioner ...

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W

And I think it also goes a little deeper than that too. Some of these folks probably agree with legal suicide and want to further this cause because they believe it's "progress".

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes and for one really good reason, in some areas the dead people still vote
and have done for decades.

My grandmother got a voting card for my grandfather in the 1997 election. Thing is he died in 1993. She corrected them though.

Not sure how I feel about this case. It can still have effects on living people so it should probably still go forward but with a living plaintiff.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
And I think it also goes a little deeper than that too. Some of these folks probably agree with legal suicide and want to further this cause because they believe it's "progress".

It is progress when they win. It will be one more small victory of personal rights VS state control.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
It is progress when they win. It will be one more small victory of personal rights VS state control.

And just look at all the wonderful things "progress" has given us so far. God's been kicked out of the public schools, we have a modern-day genocide of the unborn, and the radical gay agenda being crammed down our throats.

♪ "And I think to myself... what a wonderful world...." ♪

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
And just look at all the wonderful things "progress" has given us so far. God's been kicked out of the public schools, we have a modern-day genocide of the unborn, and the radical gay agenda being crammed down our throats.

It would appear that you are a large part of the PROBLEM.
Please show us where anyone is preventing you from believing in your myth or forcing you to marry a gay man.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Yes, that's progress, I agree.

Kids saying the Lords Prayer every morning was ridiculous.

It's not just reciting prayer, the point is that the bible use to have a place of honor in our society, and once that changed we started a downward spiral.

It would appear that you are a large part of the PROBLEM.
Please show us where anyone is preventing you from believing in your myth or forcing you to marry a gay man.

Actually God is the problem for the anti-God crowd friend. He's the one that defined marriage, and I'm pretty sure the Lord's been around a lot longer than myself. So if you have a problem with "progress" being "held back", then your beef is with your Creator.

You seem to be fixated on something being crammed down your throat, and it's always in connection with gay men.

I find that quite amusing, it's a grand example of a freudian slip.

Whenever you would like to have a serious discussion I'll be waiting. (And I would personally love it, but you seem to be more interested in cracks and insults.)

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

As opposed to how it used to be...God being crammed down our throats, old-school genocide of the unborn, and gays being kicked out of school! My my how things have gone downhill!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As opposed to how it used to be...God being crammed down our throats, old-school genocide of the unborn, and gays being kicked out of school! My my how things have gone downhill!

Yes and no. We have more tolerance today for some members of society, the homosexual, the mentally ill, just to list a couple!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
It's not just reciting prayer, the point is that the bible use to have a place of honor in our society, and once that changed we started a downward spiral.
It is a bunch of short stories from hundreds of years after the fact without any hard evidence or even anecdotal evidence it holds any true words at all. Why should we honor such a book? Might as well honor Archie's Digest. It might help you get through life but I don't need it and I shouldn't have it forced upon me, especially at an early age in a public school.

Actually God is the problem for the anti-God crowd friend. He's the one that defined marriage, and I'm pretty sure the Lord's been around a lot longer than myself. So if you have a problem with "progress" being "held back", then your beef is with your Creator.
Actually there was no definition of marriage until the God Squad required the govt to make one so as to make life difficult enough for all the homos to repent and see the straight light. I'm sure I have been around a lot longer than you too so maybe you should listen to me. He is not my creator, I had 2, their names are Paul & Kate, they are living, tangible entities. You might believe some old dude in the clouds made you but it just ain't true....your parents had sex is what really happened!

Just an FYI...I am not anti-god as you put it. I don't believe in him/her/it myself but if you need to believe to get you through the day without killing yourself or someone else then I am pro-god. Whatever it takes for you to be happy with you is just fine with me.

On the topic of the OP....

I believe the case is being allowed to move forward to establish a precedent upon which any further case would rest. I also believe the crown may see it as a cheaper alternative than starting from scratch on another case disputing the same question. I think we need this issue put to bed sooner than later and setting the precedent (even over a dead guy) will obviously move it toward a conclusion.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Redundancy aside, this is about opening up options available to people who are at the end of their life and are suffering from incurable diseases. So while the initial challenger is now deceased, the challenge itself if both pertinent to all and very much alive.