Canada Jobless Rate Rose for Third Month in December to 7.5%

Kakato
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

I decided to stay with contract work ... I haven't noticed that I repaid too much ... always careful to maximize profits while optimizing quality of life.

Seasonal is a bit of a racket, I think. I didn't realize this until I worked for the city and learned that all parks/grounds employees are laid off as soon as they qualify for EI and rehired the following season. The city uses the EI system to keep their employees year round but paying them only half the time. I was rather disgusted ... thinking that the following season all the EI recipients should be expected to find different work, or the city should be responsible for their annual income ... one or the other.

In the energy/mining industry all work is seasonal,it's a fact of life.Unless you work in the oilsands in Alberta then you will be laid off at least 3 months a year.
I have to pay back a portion of my ei,you do realize that dont you?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

I think that anyone today that wants to work, who has a good attitude and current skills, can find a job.

Absolutely, but you have to be in or go to an area where there are jobs. A lot of unemployment in B.C. is happening in one industry towns!

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

Teck mining is trying to bring in filipino workers and house them,put them through a 6 week red seal training program and put them to work and yet we have single mothers struggling to feed their families and we have trained journeymen that cant even get an interview!

People are hitting the food banks in record numbers,we have lots of jobs,the big corporations are trying to get the wages down though so they can make a nice return on the stocks that most people own and make money off.
How many of the Canadians here have mutual funds that they will retire on and how many of you dont really care how the return is got as long as it's on the bank statement?

It will be like the Arbeit worker in Europe ... the guest worker. They came in, Turkish, Greeks and et cetera, to fill the labour jobs that locals didn't want to do. They worked for a while, receiving full beneifts. Then, they moved in the wife and children, with full benefits, next came the extended family, with full benefits and soon enough, the Arbeit worker wasn't needed, but his entire extended family lived in Northern Europe. This may have been the start of culturally exclusive, residential communities in places like Paris (where we've seen major riots, fires and protests).

There are two ways to invest: give the money to others to invest (mutual funds - nothing like stock brokers from the olden days), or invest it yourself.

In the energy/mining industry all work is seasonal,it's a fact of life.Unless you work in the oilsands in Alberta then you will be laid off at least 3 months a year.
I have to pay back a portion of my ei,you do realize that dont you?

I had no idea. I don't think I repaid anything. How would I know?

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Absolutely, but you have to be in or go to an area where there are jobs. A lot of unemployment in B.C. is happening in one industry towns!

There are jobs to be had. For example, teaching distance education or web design ... off the top of my head. One doesn't have to be in any particular location anymore. A good attitude, good skills, willingness to relocate ... there are jobs. My son is serving pizza tonight. He loves his job because the work is easy, he likes what he does, the people he works with are fantastic and he has a little pocket money.

When E.I. (U.I.C.) first started it was meant to cover unplanned layoffs (Iike life insurance used to cover unplanned deaths)

I collected when there was an unplanned layoff. I was filling an "on leave" position and there was mixed information about the length of the "leave".

Kakato

Theres no industry in my town,nothing,being on the Alta/BC border everyone works at the coalmines in the elk valley in BC.
I did my 22 years, there,got tired of being a number.Now I go wherever the work is including the Arctic.

I been around!

Last thing I would ever want to do is settle into one job like being a furnace salesman all my life.

oleoleolanda
+1
I talk to an awful lot of people at stores and gas stations who work 7 days a week with two or three part time jobs just trying to make ends meet. Many are people who lost better full time jobs during the recession. This has made it harder for students to find jobs. I think we actually do have a problem in the economy and I think the jobless rate for youth is too high, and that combined with the way internships are being exploited by many organizations into slave labour, rather than as an investment in the future, we have a double problem.

I just hope we're not as a country dealing with these issues with short term thinking rather than long-term thinking and deluding ourselves about the severity of the challenges we're facing.

JLM

Last thing I would ever want to do is settle into one job like being a furnace salesman all my life.

Yeah, it might get kind of slow with this Global warming!

Ariadne
The predicted coldest winter in 15 years has been downgraded to endless record high temperatures ... at least furnaces salesman come with an air conditioning option.

damngrumpy
The social order of the society has been turned upside down. I know some
older workers that have never been out of work and their cruise through the
system is a serious problem. Yes there are some who wait to long but I do
believe most people are serious about looking for work. As for how much
they get on EI well that depends of what they were paying in. Again we are
talking about insurance here and the Federal Insurance rules should apply.
The government takes these funds under the guise of insurance and then they
raid the system to pay for their incompetence.
We need to understand that people are sometimes not ready to go to work, as
the shock of layoff is serious, I know several people who have this happen to
them. It is easy to condemn someone for being out of work but comments that
are general are not always based on the facts. I have been laid off, I have also
been fired a couple of times, no problem I have always been outspoken and I
was able to move on. Yes for a short period I did collect what was called UI
back then, but I could always find work quickly, besides its easier to find a job
you like if you have a job at the time you are looking.
The times are getting harder and the economy is about to get a lot tighter

Ariadne

Martin Solveig amp Dragonette - Hello Official Music Video HD - YouTube

Kakato
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

The social order of the society has been turned upside down. I know some
older workers that have never been out of work and their cruise through the
system is a serious problem. Yes there are some who wait to long but I do
believe most people are serious about looking for work. As for how much
they get on EI well that depends of what they were paying in. Again we are
talking about insurance here and the Federal Insurance rules should apply.
The government takes these funds under the guise of insurance and then they
raid the system to pay for their incompetence.
We need to understand that people are sometimes not ready to go to work, as
the shock of layoff is serious, I know several people who have this happen to
them. It is easy to condemn someone for being out of work but comments that
are general are not always based on the facts. I have been laid off, I have also
been fired a couple of times, no problem I have always been outspoken and I
was able to move on. Yes for a short period I did collect what was called UI
back then, but I could always find work quickly, besides its easier to find a job
you like if you have a job at the time you are looking.
The times are getting harder and the economy is about to get a lot tighter

Unfortunately the libs used the EI surplus to pay down the debt,folks who paid into it all their life should be proud when they get refused for EI knowing they helped Paul Martin look like a hero as he raped an insurance fund to make his party look like they actually did something.

Liberalman
Alberta has lots of jobs for people that want to work.

relic
Re #41
Right,your fifty five-ish,and the mill you just worked at for thirty years just shut down,no problem,just head out to the promised land,load up on milk & honey.You've done this have you,or at least you'd have no problem doing it if the problem came up ?
Some of you goomers aren't very realistic.

Dixie Cup
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Not everyone who wants a job has one, the problem our country faces is that we
have not kept up with proper training. Training programs were cut over the years
as governments called the expenses, instead of investments in the future.
There are all kinds of jobs and not enough trained people to take them across the
country. In addition there are parts of the country where the jobless rate rose to
quickly in changing times and people don't react immediately either. Then there
are the people who are looking for work, that ran out of EI and they no longer
qualify for benefits. If they don't show up on the rolls they are considered to be
working and that is also misleading.
This country is going to get a huge adjustment shortly and it won't be pretty. All
the talk about how Harper saved us is about to be put to the test. It should also be
remembered. if a government takes credit for something wonderful and it goes
sour they must also take the blame, none of this oh, its a world wide recession thing.
Taking credit ahead of the curve can backfire and this is a case where that may soon
happen to Harper.

OMG, there are ALL KINDS of training programs out there if one cares to look!! If there was a cut back, it was likely because there were so many of them and they couldn't fill their "quotas" - thus the cuts! In order for a "program" to work, they have specific goals and if those goals aren't met, the funding is cut.

Just so's yuh know....

Yeah, I'm hearing more and more that if you're over 40 and, especially over 50 in good health, active and ready to work, no one will hire you at that age (or it's very difficult). I think the biggest reason is that companies feel, because of experience) they have to pay "top dollar" when in fact, all they need to do is pay a "reasonable" wage. Most individuals my age just want to work, share our knowledge and get a decent pay cheque until we chose to retire. And no, I don't want to work for minimum wages which is insulting in and of itself. I also don't want (or need) a $30/hr job either. I suppose though, having said that, there are those who feel they deserve the "big bucks" and refuse to settle for less. Somehow, I think that's self defeating, but hey, that's just me.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about my job, but I know of others who have gone through this and have ended up taking an "early" retirement because they couldn't find work, even though they have the skills needed (and government claims are in short supply). Doesn't make sense to me but there you have it!

JMO

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by relicView Post

Re #41
Right,your fifty five-ish,and the mill you just worked at for thirty years just shut down,no problem,just head out to the promised land,load up on milk & honey.You've done this have you,or at least you'd have no problem doing it if the problem came up ?
Some of you goomers aren't very realistic.

The land of milk and honey still flows in Wild Rose country the heartland of opportunity.

The mayor of Calgary did his eastern Canada tour begging for people to move to his city because of a labour shortage.

I have also read that the province of Saskatchewan is having the same problem

http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/front-page-news/alberta-continues-to-lead-country-in-job-creation-1712.html (external - login to view)

http://www.lloydminstersource.com/News/tabid/68/entryid/1546/Default.aspx (external - login to view)

Adrian8100
The strong reason is economic recession in whole the world...i'm totally agree that now some companies are also seeking to trim labor costs.Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this.

JamesBondo
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Every damn snowfall.

that was maybe 3 or 4 days of work for the guys that were willing to get off their ***.