Beat this besti4lity thread if you can...

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Well, how about something like guns? Is that a reasonable comparison? Guns owned by responsible owners are as safe as can be, but every year guns kill dozens or hundreds of people (as opposed to maybe one dog mauling death). We know they are used by gangs and criminals. We know they cause death and destruction. Should responsible, law abiding gun owners be banned from possessing them because the lowest common denominator types drag their reputation down too?

What is the real difference between the two?

Considering much of the population supports a total gun ban for civilians, aren't you being counterproductive to your own arguement?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Considering much of the population supports a total gun ban for civilians, aren't you being counterproductive to your own arguement?

I don't believe most of the population does support a total gun ban for civilians in Canada considering Canadian civilians have about 7 million guns.

I know they don't support it here in the US.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hmm.... Guess that rules out naming the pitbull "Uzi".

Seriously.... Way Harper's been harping on about killing the Bill and going back to the way things were, seems the majority doesn't even support registration - let alone a total ban.

Back to dogs. Harbouring a vicious animal is a crime in Ontario. Maybe it should be a Criminal Code thing punishable by a total ban on the ownership of any animal. Two bites or one fatal attack and the dog is put down. A shame the animal has to pay its master's price too many times.

Wolf

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
ok flame me for saying this....but is it really always the fault of the owner.....as the thread progresses it seems the owness is less on the dog and all on owners.... and lets train the owner....all this to keep a dangerous animal in the public.
Oh i'm not allowed to say it's dangerous..it's only dangerous when the owner is not like some animal trainer.....hell what happened with sigfried and roy...forget the species ...these were top trainers and something happened....was it roy's fault?

but then again didn't the lil rascals have a pit?
awe cute lil puppy....

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Absolutely positively 100% no question it's the fault of the owner.
The owner has the responsibility to ensure that a dog never bites anyone.
Even if someone is tormenting the animal, even if the animal is injured or traumatised. The owner must take steps to prevent an attack.

This isn't to say that should you find someone tormenting your dog, you shouldn't beat the living hell out of them with a rolled up newspaper until they learn how to act around animals. ;)

No.

G'night. :smile:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't see how it isn't the owner's responsibility? It may not be their fault, the dog may have just snapped one day (unlikely, but it happens)... but, the owner is still the one responsible for their dog's behavior. They choose to get the animal, they knowingly take that risk.

I say make owners legally responsible for their dogs behavior. If your dog kills someone, you go to jail.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
all this to keep a dangerous animal in the public.

Well that's bee the topic of debate....is this fictional breed..the pitbull...really a dangerous animal?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't see how it isn't the owner's responsibility? It may not be their fault, the dog may have just snapped one day (unlikely, but it happens)... but, the owner is still the one responsible for their dog's behavior. They choose to get the animal, they knowingly take that risk.

I say make owners legally responsible for their dogs behavior. If your dog kills someone, you go to jail.

Ah, sticky language issue... resposibility (yes, we are, by law, all resposible for our animals), versus fault. A bit of a different word.

I've seen dogs turn for no apparent reason, and bite kids who weren't really doing anything to provoke it.

I've seen kids let their neighbors dogs out to play, because they're kids and don't realize the possible danger.

While there are all these things kids SHOULD know, and trainers SHOULD anticipate, life doesn't often work along those lines. The unexpected comes screaming out of left field, and shtuff happens.

While the owner is still responsible to help deal with the aftermath (be it pay for the wrecked car that hit their beloved pooch, or the lawsuit for a child who's been mauled), the 'fault' isn't there IMO.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I admit, I see fault in most of these mauling stories. It's usually something like a toddler being with a big dog or big dogs running loose in the neighbourhood. Both are completely avoidable.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Quote docdred:
all this to keep a dangerous animal in the public.

Well that's bee the topic of debate....is this fictional breed..the pitbull...really a dangerous animal?

thanks twila, i put that line in there as a sort of devil's advocate thing....but if i'm honest i have to admit i view pit bulls as dangerous.
I've been round ones that are like puppies friendly as hell.Love playing with them..Scary as hell when you play tug of war or do that tree game where they jump and hold onto a rolled up hanging cloth.

but if i search my inner most thoughts...I feel it is a dangerous animal.
The more i review the thread the more i bend towards this thought.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
If i can add to my post..i don't know if it's ignorance or legend that creates this uneasy feeling and my thoughts on them being dangerous....
I just don't know....I've never been bitten by one..i have played with them when coaxed...always felt like i was being brave..they showed no signs of attack mode.of course i never was in the vicinity of like some trained to kill pit bull....i love dogs ....so it's not like i'm some anal dog hater for thinking of them in this way.

but yeah here is the stance.
they are a dangerous animal....IMHO

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I admit, I see fault in most of these mauling stories. It's usually something like a toddler being with a big dog or big dogs running loose in the neighbourhood. Both are completely avoidable.

I see fault in most of the DUI fatalities but I don't call for a ban on GM.
All dogs, like guns are just fine in the right hands. People who respect what they do and what they are for as well as what they are capable of in the wrong hands take steps to ensure they remain secured. It's not impossible to prevent kids or anyone for that matter from being mauled by a dog, it just takes some sense and effort on the part of the dogs owner and a constant vigilance to keep things safe.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I see fault in most of the DUI fatalities but I don't call for a ban on GM.
All dogs, like guns are just fine in the right hands. People who respect what they do and what they are for as well as what they are capable of in the wrong hands take steps to ensure they remain secured. It's not impossible to prevent kids or anyone for that matter from being mauled by a dog, it just takes some sense and effort on the part of the dogs owner and a constant vigilance to keep things safe.

Hey, I'm with you on that. Like I said, we've had dozens of pits and never a bite.

I respect that some people will always be uneasy around pitbull type dogs (I've got my own dog prejudices with German Shepherds). I just don't think their emotional reaction justifies a ban. These dogs are just the latest victims of bad owners and a hysterical media. In 10 years we'll all be talking about banning the Presa Canario or Dogo Argentino or Dogues de Bordeaux or maybe Rottweilers and Dobermans again.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Soooo the admission about some genetic factor in pitt bulls and the fact they were bred for aggression, is omited for the sake of saving a breed by putting all the blame on the owner.....
so i'm back to square one where i started in this thread.....

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Soooo the admission about some genetic factor in pitt bulls and the fact they were bred for aggression, is omited for the sake of saving a breed by putting all the blame on the owner.....
so i'm back to square one where i started in this thread.....

No omissions. I'm just being specific about what they were bred for (fighting other dogs) and looking beyond the media hype to the facts (which show that they score better as a breed on temperament testing than almost any other breed of dog). No one denies this breed can do damage. They dispute the notion that they are more aggressive than other breeds towards humans.

There are several breeds which were bred to be aggressive towards people, they are the guard dog breeds used in protection work.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
No omissions. I'm just being specific about what they were bred for (fighting other dogs) and looking beyond the media hype to the facts (which show that they score better as a breed on temperament testing than almost any other breed of dog). No one denies this breed can do damage. They dispute the notion that they are more aggressive than other breeds towards humans.

There are several breeds which were bred to be aggressive towards people, they are the guard dog breeds used in protection work.
Ok so thats clear for me now....i'm a lil slow actually and need things spelled out..ask the mods as they scratch their collective heads...LOL

Ok i know this will not be answered by unf, wish he would though.

I actually have always been fond of the bull terrier. Never had one.
How related are these to pitt bulls?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Quote docdred:

been round ones that are like puppies friendly as hell.Love playing with them..Scary as hell when you play tug of war or do that tree game where they jump and hold onto a rolled up hanging clo

The above games should 'never' be played with 'any' puppy, that is a human error, which becomes
a dog fault when they are adults.