The town of Herouxville, Que., wants immigrants that fit in with its citizens

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
They are accepted in lay positions are they not? Apparently some of my info is outdated. Good thing I posted with a ? mark.

I'm not sure to be honest with you. Sanctus probably knows. I don't, by the way, mean to suggest I necessarily agree with the new revision to the guidelines. Traditionally celibacy would've been enough. I guess with the scandals the Church went drastic.It was approved and pushed through by Pope John Paul 2nd.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
There is still a difference between homosexuality and pedophilism. The latest scandal in Ontario had a "straight" molester. I can see the RC church calling homosexuality a sin but even the RC church must differentiate between sin and crime. I can see a devout RC taking refuge in orders to escape the temptation to engaging in homosexual acts but does a pedophile do so as well? Or are pedophiles more sinister and actually plotting to be in a place of trust to "troubled" children or trusting parents?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
The Church in Quebec, like most of Canada, is in a process of realingement, but it is not yet ready to bite the dust. Statcan gives the population of the province as just over 7 million people, 51/2 million of which identify themselves as Catholic. Masses are well attended, and in fact there is a slight increase in attendance the past few years. The school system is still full of children, and the dioceses are reporting an increase in vocations to the priesthood. We have been over the worst, and are heading towards a stabilization in the Church in Canada.

There isnt any Catholic School system. If there is, the number of students probably isnt over 2000. I've never seen 1 church fill up for mass(Or even at half capacity). Except on Christmas. I identify myself as Catholic, havnt attended one church in years. That means nothing. And you know it. The fact that people still identify as Catholic, is only a remenant of tradition. Most don't practice, don't attend mass, and do not practice the teachings of the religion. If you can prooce otherwise, then I have an open ear. But I doubt you can.

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
There isnt any Catholic School system. If there is, the number of students probably isnt over 2000. I've never seen 1 church fill up for mass(Or even at half capacity). Except on Christmas. I identify myself as Catholic, havnt attended one church in years. That means nothing. And you know it. The fact that people still identify as Catholic, is only a remenant of tradition. Most don't practice, don't attend mass, and do not practice the teachings of the religion. If you can prooce otherwise, then I have an open ear. But I doubt you can.

I don't know where you live, but what you write is not true. The parishes in Montreal are full every Sunday. And yes, there are many that do not go to Mass, but still, the Church is hardly dying out in la belle provence.If you think otherwise, you are blind.

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
There is still a difference between homosexuality and pedophilism. The latest scandal in Ontario had a "straight" molester. I can see the RC church calling homosexuality a sin but even the RC church must differentiate between sin and crime. I can see a devout RC taking refuge in orders to escape the temptation to engaging in homosexual acts but does a pedophile do so as well? Or are pedophiles more sinister and actually plotting to be in a place of trust to "troubled" children or trusting parents?

Saddly, research by the Church internally suggests just that, that in the liberalization of the Church seen in the 60's and 70's many men sought the priesthood to hide behind the skirts of the Church. Naturally, their lust overcame them as people cannot hide from a problem as you know. Holy Mother Church took a knee-jerk reaction to the sex scandals of a few years ago.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I don't know where you live, but what you write is not true. The parishes in Montreal are full every Sunday. And yes, there are many that do not go to Mass, but still, the Church is hardly dying out in la belle provence.If you think otherwise, you are blind.
Well here in the eastern township churches are empty. so empty that some go where there is mass in other villages.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Well here in the eastern township churches are empty. so empty that some go where there is mass in other villages.

But they go to Mass, somehow, someway. Rather defeats your argument that the Church is losing membership. Don't make the mistake of assuming your small part of the country is the rule for the whole.

Last edited:

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec

Saguenay. And yes, it is.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I'm not sure to be honest with you. Sanctus probably knows. I don't, by the way, mean to suggest I necessarily agree with the new revision to the guidelines. Traditionally celibacy would've been enough. I guess with the scandals the Church went drastic.It was approved and pushed through by Pope John Paul 2nd.

Yes, men who profess themselves with a homosexual inclination can still work within the parish-but what is NOT known(I'll probably be beaten up by rabid nuns for admitting this:) ) is that most of the Dioceses have issued instructions to the clergy to NOT allow them to be in any position which involves children. You should also realize the Church is like an army, not a democracy. So that, "instructions" are pretty much commands from on high.

And you're right about the new guidelines for entrance into Holy Orders. Having a homosexual inclination will automatically stop the process towards ordination. This was a decision by the Vatican a few years ago put into force by Pope John Paul 2nd.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
But they go to Mass, somehow, someway. Rather defeats your argument that the Church is losing membership. Don't make the mistake of assuming your small part of the country is the rule for the whole.
well I don't use polls and stats and percentange to hide behind. You can make numbers say anything you want it all depends on what your looking for. Churches here are less than half full or not at all.
Don't tell me whats going on in my back yard. Of course in MTL the churches are filled thats because theres more people around to fill them dah! I see the cars parked outside,not as much as before, that speaks for itself. But then again I'm not in MTL so I don't know there. The news here doesn't speak of a rise followers. Anything else is wishful thinking.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Yes, men who profess themselves with a homosexual inclination can still work within the parish-but what is NOT known(I'll probably be beaten up by rabid nuns for admitting this:) ) is that most of the Dioceses have issued instructions to the clergy to NOT allow them to be in any position which involves children. You should also realize the Church is like an army, not a democracy. So that, "instructions" are pretty much commands from on high.

And you're right about the new guidelines for entrance into Holy Orders. Having a homosexual inclination will automatically stop the process towards ordination. This was a decision by the Vatican a few years ago put into force by Pope John Paul 2nd.

Yes Sanctus, and to a point that is my problem with some churches and the catholic church in particular. If there were really decree's from high that is one thing, but thwey are not, They are earthly decree's by earthly people telling others how to conduct themselves...To me this seems a bit of "Give Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar and give god what belongs to God"

I try to stay away from the politics of Church..being an Anglican I am only one step off course from the R.C. church. I do have difficulty with many early desisions that are wrapped up as God given...Feel a lot of "what would Jesus do" Not sure he wouldn't be trashing many churches if he was here in Human form right now.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
well I don't use polls and stats and percentange to hide behind. You can make numbers say anything you want it all depends on what your looking for. Churches here are less than half full or not at all.
Don't tell me whats going on in my back yard. Of course in MTL the churches are filled thats because theres more people around to fill them dah! I see the cars parked outside,not as much as before, that speaks for itself. But then again I'm not in MTL so I don't know there. The news here doesn't speak of a rise followers. Anything else is wishful thinking.

But you are being small-minded. Your small area is not the whole world or the whole of the Church. Hide behind figures and statistics? You'd rather rely on prejudice and rumours?

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Yes Sanctus, and to a point that is my problem with some churches and the catholic church in particular. If there were really decree's from high that is one thing, but thwey are not, They are earthly decree's by earthly people telling others how to conduct themselves...To me this seems a bit of "Give Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar and give god what belongs to God"

Good point. During the height of the scandals a few years ago, many of us who were devout and loyal were distressed and confused, as you can imagine. There was a hold on the priests and they were not even allowed to discuss the situation with their own parishioners. It was shameful. does it mean I love my Church less? No, but I had serious issues with the men running it at the time. When the last Pope issued his new guidelines for entrance into the priesthood, I am shamed to say many of us felt glad. We made the mistake of thinking the worst would be over. But reality sets in and we realized that having homosexual inclinations does not necessarily make one a child-molester.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
But you are being small-minded. Your small area is not the whole world or the whole of the Church. Hide behind figures and statistics? You'd rather rely on prejudice and rumours?
Comming from you of being small minded ha ha ha
i've seen your post the kettle calling the pot black, typically christian of you thank you:angel8:

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Comming from you of being small minded ha ha ha
i've seen your post the kettle calling the pot black, typically christian of you thank you:angel8:
and what makes someone typically Christain??? I love how the world should be so pigeon holed for some...makes life easier to cope with???

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
and what makes someone typically Christain??? I love how the world should be so pigeon holed for some...makes life easier to cope with???
yes it does and she addmited to being catholic I do believe, she's no muslim or jewish sochristian seems to fit the bill.
Any other easy questions?