COVID-19 'Pandemic'

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Re: COVIDD-19 'Pandemic'

Eating and drinking at public places is now a needlessly dangerous activity. On an ethical level cities should be discouraging it and looking for ways to further enable home delivery. But business is business.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020

Amazing the risks some will take for an important cause.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

, but the Pet Shop Boys were too cheesy to ever be a top band.

Far more successful than INXS:

Pet Shop Boys have sold more than 100 million records worldwide,[10][better source needed] and are listed as the most successful duo in UK music history by The Guinness Book of Records.[11] Three-time Brit Award winners and six-time Grammy nominees, since 1985 they have achieved 42 Top 30 singles, 22 of them Top 10 hits in the UK Singles Chart, including four UK number ones: "West End Girls" (also number one on the US Billboard Hot 100), "It's a Sin", a synthpop version of "Always on My Mind", and "Heart". Other hit songs include a cover of "Go West", "Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)" and "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" in a duet with Dusty Springfield. With five US top ten singles in the 1980s, they are associated with the Second British Invasion.[12]

At the 2009 Brit Awards in London, Pet Shop Boys received an award for Outstanding Contribution to Music. In 2016, Billboard magazine named Pet Shop Boys the number one dance duo/group over the 40 years since the chart's inception in 1976.[13] In 2017, the duo received NME's Godlike Genius Award.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Shop_Boys

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Not only are they all Covidiots who risk spreading the disease to countless thousands of people - they should all be arrested - but you weren't saying that about all the people who have taken part in protests against lockdown (many of whom were arrested).

It seems like it's one rule for hypocritical lefty morons and another for the rest of us.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020

Not only are they all Covidiots who risk spreading the disease to countless thousands of people - they should all be arrested - but you weren't saying that about all the people who have taken part in protests against lockdown (many of whom were arrested).
It seems like it's one rule for hypocritical lefty morons and another for the rest of us.

What lockdown?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Amazing the justification "Dr." Tam gave when saying it's now okay to mass in groups of hundreds or thousands but ONLY to protest what happened in a foreign country and ONLY if you don't yell. But if you protest the lock down in Canada, no matter how quietly you do it, you're just an asshole for disobeying govt diktats.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

The Remainer middle class Leftie sorts don't seem to think the rules apply to them. They only apply to the "little people" - the common working class masses. And they seem to be right. Hence why cops arrest Corbyn's brother for attending an anti-lockdown march but nobody gets arrested for breaking lockdown in these marches.

Labour-voting Tarquin and Araminta from Islington can attend their fashionable marches when having days off from their college gender studies classes and the police won't touch them. But as soon as working class Sun-reading Dave who works in a warehouse and lives in Middlesbrough attends a pro-Brexit march, the police arrest him.

It's no wonder in the last election the working class masses switched over to the Tories, handing them a landslide victory. It's no wonder liberalism is losing its way.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020

Amazing the justification "Dr." Tam gave when saying it's now okay to mass in groups of hundreds or thousands but ONLY to protest what happened in a foreign country and ONLY if you don't yell. But if you protest the lock down in Canada, no matter how quietly you do it, you're just an asshole for disobeying govt diktats.

Red herring.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020

Like risking other people's health or lives? Oh that's right, none of that matters to the pandemic narrative anymore because a cop killed a Black man in Minnesota.

Clearly the outrage over this and other similar events has driven people past the risk of getting the virus.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Eating and drinking at public places is now a needlessly dangerous activity. On an ethical level cities should be discouraging it and looking for ways to further enable home delivery. But business is business.

Sometimes people get hungry when they don't happen to be at home!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Sometimes people get hungry when they don't happen to be at home!

Exactly. I miss the restaurant experience. Drive thru is not the same and is primarily fast food. Real food is colder if delivered or picked up when you eat it too. There is no reason they can't open limited spaces inside restaurants when appropriate.

Some people think this 'new normal' should be the permanent normal. That is absolutely stupid. We will have to have controls and distancing for a bit until we get a vaccine. But this cower in your home forever in fear is not a permanent lifestyle I would choose.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone else find it peculiar that some progressives who were urging us all to social distance, and encouraging people who defied the quarantine to gather in small groups for church services and small protests, are conspicuously absent and silent, when tens of thousands of protesters, some violent, with none of them practicing social distancing.

I guess COVID is over, and we can get back to our lives...
the health advisories are still in place ......but are lifting gradually. Many protesters are wearing face covers. Those that are not are just silly, and irresponsible. this is not a "progressive" i sue....... it is a health issue.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Exactly. I miss the restaurant experience. Drive thru is not the same and is primarily fast food. Real food is colder if delivered or picked up when you eat it too. There is no reason they can't open limited spaces inside restaurants when appropriate.

Some people think this 'new normal' should be the permanent normal. That is absolutely stupid. We will have to have controls and distancing for a bit until we get a vaccine. But this cower in your home forever in fear is not a permanent lifestyle I would choose.

Depends on who you are! People like my bro-in- law and me to a little lesser extent just can't take ANY chances at contracting the virus.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary

I get the outrage over the killing of George Floyd and understand the protests, and I support the fact that people have the right to protest and that they are. But I can also see how it's somewhat a double standard when it comes to vilifying those who gather in large numbers be they beach goers or park visitors etc. Granted the protests are a result of yet another death of a black man while in police custody and the strong emotions related to that, but the fact remains that if people gathering in large numbers are considered a risk to us all virus wise, then that should mean all large gatherings should come under the same scrutiny. So while I get it and support that they feel strongly enough to do it, I am concerned with the risk they are taking in possibly spreading the virus.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020

I get the outrage over the killing of George Floyd and understand the protests, and I support the fact that people have the right to protest and that they are. But I can also see how it's somewhat a double standard when it comes to vilifying those who gather in large numbers be they beach goers or park visitors etc. Granted the protests are a result of yet another death of a black man while in police custody and the strong emotions related to that, but the fact remains that if people gathering in large numbers are considered a risk to us all virus wise, then that should mean all large gatherings should come under the same scrutiny. So while I get it and support that they feel strongly enough to do it, I am concerned with the risk they are taking in possibly spreading the virus.

Reasonable concern and well put.