UK Gov In Turmoil & Bexit Mess.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Chancellor of the Exchequer Sajid Javid has reiterated his government's position of leaving the EU on 31 October, echoing the Tory Party conference (in Manchester) slogan of "Get Brexit Done".

"We are leaving the European Union," he said. "It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of days - 31 days, deal, or no deal."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Go back even further, then ... to Charles De Gaulle or Marshal Petain.

Why? The article is about Jacques Chirac, the man who won London the bid to host the 2012 Olympics.

According to your crazy logic - which really doesn't surprise, truth be told - one mustn't write an article about Theresa May without mentioning Archibald Primrose or Pitt the Younger.

Sometimes I wonder if you're more intelligent than Tecumseh's Boner or he's more intelligent than you. But comparing your respective IQ levels is like comparing the IQ levels of a rust mite and a soybean cyst nematode.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Johnson rubbishes rumours that he is about to ask the EU for another extension:

Boris Johnson insists the UK will leave the EU by Halloween with 'no delay'

Boris Johnson has insisted the UK will leave the EU by Halloween with 'no delay' after a court was told the PM will ask Brussels for a Brexit extension if the two sides have not struck an agreement by October 19. The Prime Minister has long maintained that he will stick to his 'do or die' pledge to deliver Brexit with or without a deal by October 31. But he has also insisted that the government will abide by an anti-No Deal law passed by rebel MPs. Today clarity appeared to emerge over those seemingly contradictory positions as the Court of Session in Scotland heard that government papers said the PM will comply with the law and seek an extension if he is unable to strike an accord with the bloc. Documents submitted to the Court on behalf of Mr Johnson were read out and in them it is made clear he will not attempt to frustrate the so-called Benn Act. Downing Street did not deny that was an accurate representation of Mr Johnson's position but said that they would not be commenting further. However, Mr Johnson subsequently recommitted to his 'do or die' promise as he tweeted: 'New deal or no deal - but no delay.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This 1990 episode of political satire show Spitting Image predicted Brexit:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You do understand Europe is in recession , France and Germany are almost broke , but still propping up Greece , Italy and Spain . The rats will be fleeing this sinking ship soon . Fortunately for Britain they will be the first rat .

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Boris Johnson will 'sabotage' the EU by vetoing its budget and causing diplomatic havoc if Brussels forces him to delay Brexit

Britain will leave the EU in 25 days without a deal unless senior figures agree to compromise, in which case Boris Johnson will 'paralyse' the EU, senior aides revealed. If Brexit is delayed after October 31 the leader of the Brexit Party, Nigel Farage, could be drafted in as the British Commissioner in Brussels to 'disrupt' systems the EU currently have in place, reports claim. Two cabinet ministers told the Sunday Telegraph they were among others backing the more 'aggressive' approach to Brussels.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
BORIS JOHNSON Pack Eur bags, deal or no Brexit deal we are walking out of the European Union in 25 days

Comment
Boris Johnson
The Sun
5 Oct 2019

AFTER decades of campaigning, three years of arguments and seemingly endless months of pointless delay, it is now just 25 days until the UK’s membership of the EU ends.

We will be packing our bags and walking out on October 31.

The UK will leave the European Union on October 31, with or without a deal Credit: Paul Edwards - The Sun

The only question is whether Brussels cheerily waves us off with a mutually agreeable deal, or whether we will be forced to head off on our own.

I’ve been clear from the start that, while it is prudent to prepare for the possibility of a No Deal Brexit, it would be best for everyone if we could reach an agreement that is acceptable to both sides.

This week we put forward our ideas to make that happen. It’s a practical compromise that gives ground where necessary while still protecting the UK’s interests and delivering the Brexit this country voted for.

Our proposals get rid of the anti-democratic “backstop” while avoiding any infrastructure or checks at the Irish border. Our plan respects the Northern Ireland peace process and the Good Friday agreement.

'TAKE BACK CONTROL'

It gives farmers and other businesses on both sides of the Irish border the assurances they need. And it gets the UK out of the EU and its customs union, allowing us to take back control of our trade policy and do free trade deals with friends around the world.

In short, it gets Brexit done on October 31.

Yes, we have made compromises, and I’m sure that not everyone will be happy with that. But this is a negotiation and achieving the deal we all want inevitably requires some give and take on both sides.

The way I see it, the proposals published this week represent we in the UK jumping to the island in the middle of the river. If we’re to leave with a deal, we need the EU to jump over from its side and join us there, showing its own willingness to do a deal that the UK Parliament can support.

The UK can leave with a deal if President Jean-Claude Juncker is willing Credit: Reuters

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says he and several Labour MPs will oppose Boris Johnson's deal

Northern Ireland’s DUP, led by Arlene Foster, claim the Prime Minister's deal looks like one they can get behind Credit: Getty Images - Getty

Regrettably, there are some MPs — led, unsurprisingly, by that serial wannabe Brexit-wrecker Jeremy Corbyn — who have said they will oppose this deal in any circumstances.

It doesn’t matter what the EU say or how negotiations pan out between now and the end of the month – they don’t want to deliver Brexit full stop, so will reject any and every attempt at finding a way forward. They say they’re against No Deal, but actually favour no Brexit.

But speaking to my fellow Parliamentarians, I was really encouraged to discover that not all are so recalcitrant.

MPs from every wing of my own Conservative Party, from Northern Ireland’s DUP, even from Jeremy Corbyn’s own ranks have said our proposed deal looks like one they can get behind.

'SPIRIT OF COMPROMISE'

Where the previous Withdrawal Agreement, backstop and all, drove an almighty wedge through the heart of Parliament, I have heard positive noises from across the House.

And I salute the spirit of compromise from MPs on all sides who have looked at what’s on the table, reflected on what’s best for their constituents, and decided they are willing to put aside their personal beliefs and back the deal that they know will get Brexit done.

They know if I go to Brussels armed with a set of proposals MPs support, it is much more likely the EU will accept our outstretched hand and make that leap on to the island.

The British public wants to move on. Most MPs want to move on. And I honestly believe the EU does, too.

So I say to our European friends: grasp the opportunity our new proposal provides. Join us at the negotiating table in a spirit of compromise and co-operation. And let’s make Brexit work for both sides.

We are leaving in 25 days. We can do it with a deal if the EU is willing. But they should be under no illusions or misapprehensions.

There will be no more dither or delay. On October 31 we are going to get Brexit done.

The Sun on Sunday Says

IN JUST 74 days Boris Johnson has already achieved what dithering Theresa May failed to do in three years.

He has fashioned a credible Brexit offer that could win a Commons majority, confounding critics who insisted he only wanted No Deal.

His compromise has been carefully crafted so it is palatable to MPs from all sides who genuinely want a deal.

But as he says on these pages, it only works if the EU are willing to show they want one too.

With his customary optimism, the PM says: “The British public wants to move on. Most MPs want to move on. And I honestly believe the EU wants to move on too.”

The trouble is Parliament’s Remainers have already given the EU a get-out with the Benn “Surrender Act”.

And Brussels seems happy to sit back and let the wreckers do their worst to prevent ANY deal.

With time running out, the Eurocrats must abandon their stubborn posturing and meet the PM halfway — or explain to businesses why they are risking their futures.

But don’t hold your breath.

If his deal is rejected at the EU summit in a fortnight Boris is still determined to leave without one on the 31st.

You can’t blame him for keeping his tactics secret, but it will take some very fancy footwork to stay within the law AND avoid an extension.

What the Remainers and Brexit-wreckers on all sides of the Commons need to ask themselves is this:

Would you bet against BoJo?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10074279/boris-johnson-deal-no-deal-brexit-25-days/