Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I would assume planting evergreen would be the priority due to the slow germination and vulnerability of the sapling versus cloning of deciduous and quick regrowth rate. That's what they do here in the prairies concentrate planting on pines and let poplar replenish naturally.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I would assume planting evergreen would be the priority due to the slow germination and vulnerability of the sapling versus cloning of deciduous and quick regrowth rate. That's what they do here in the prairies concentrate planting on pines and let poplar replenish naturally.

I understand some species are better self - seeders than others, but off the top I have no which ones. Commercially I imagine Douglas Fir be a preferred one due to its strength.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I understand some species are better self - seeders than others, but off the top I have no which ones. Commercially I imagine Douglas Fir be a preferred one due to its strength.
Sitka spruce .... used to be used for sailboat spars. Flexible is strong.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The main reason I asked is because fir trees tend to be a lot more flammable. They also noticed in one of the forests in Europe where they've been replacing deciduous stands with fir stands that the surrounding temps are higher. Deciduous stands also create natural fire breaks. Yeah, they'll still burn but they take longer to really get going.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Question: Are deciduous patches of forest that are cut down in BC replaced with deciduous trees, or faster growing fir trees for the forestry industry?
I could be wrong but I believe it depends on what part of the province it is as there are various and very different ecosystems within our province. What grows in the Okanagan may not do well up here in the Cariboo and vice versa. Though I must admit that that has changed somewhat over the years as I see that Ponderosa Pines are doing well here whereas the Cedar is slowing dieing out.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Your education is sadly lacking, I actually worked? with a guy who couldn't tell a Douglas Fir from a Red Cedar. He was as useless as a cut cat.
They are both big trees with green stuff growing on them .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
White spruce is the commercial tree of choice in the boreal. 25 years from seed to harvest.

Dougie grows too slow, hard to cure and is too dense for anything beyond floor joists and stairs in modern homes.

Boreal lumber is far far cheaper than the mountain stuff to farm and harvest.

You'd be surprised at how any homes in BC are framed and sheeted with SK forest products.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hey Mowich The difference 1 year makes huh?
Will I need to get a couple Riders to do a flood video for you? It must be climate change induced extreme weather.

I spent 6 days in the Rockies last week. Started in Jasper and went all the way down to Good Grief Idaho. 18C was the warmest day and our last. It was snowing a couple hundred metres higher up at The ice fields at 3C at the base. Not typical for the 4th of July. It did warm up to 6.5C from Lake Louise to Radium and and 11C the rest of the way into the US.

Warmest day on the boat at Koocanusa was 18 Shitty cold on the lake so we pretty much spent 5 days below deck drinking wine and eating trout and kokanee.

I don't know why with permanent climate change drought but all the rivers were running high and there is a shitload heading to 3 oceans.
How much do you want to wager all that freshwater is going to send salinity plummeting causing regional current anomalies like how they blame climate change altering the Gulf of Mexico currents when the Mississippi is at above average outflow.

B.C.’s Chilcotin River flood affects about 120 properties: regional district

Around here 4 inches over four days means not watering the lawn and garden for a week, not floods.

By The Canadian Press
Thu., July 11, 2019timer1 min. read
WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — The Cariboo Regional District says about 120 properties may have been affected by flooding along the Chilcotin River and its tributaries in British Columbia’s southern Interior.

District officials conducted a flyover of the huge region southwest of Williams Lake on Wednesday in order to determine the extent of flooding that occurred when more than 100 millimetres of rain swamped the area between July 5 and July 9.

Emergency officials say the flooded areas cover hundreds of kilometres, but the hardest hit regions include Big Creek, Nemaiah Valley and the Xeni Gwet’in First Nation.

The say damage to the 120 properties will vary and efforts are underway to determine how long it will take to repair washed out roads and bridges, while 20 ranchers have already reported submerged hay fields and damaged outbuildings.

Emergency Info BC

@EmergencyInfoBC
Flood Warning DOWNGRADED to High Streamflow Advisory for two tributaries of the Chilcotin River. Flood Warning MAINTAINED for Chilcotin River below Big Creek & other tributaries. More info: http://ow.ly/fXGv50uXLnS #BCFlood

12:32 PM - Jul 10, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
15 people are talking about this
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW
SPONSORED

The B.C. River Forecast Centre is maintaining a flood warning along the Chilcotin River southwest of Williams Lake, but its latest post says water levels have peaked at the one-in-200-year flood level.

Most of the river’s tributaries remain at flood stage, although the warning has been reduced to a high streamflow advisory for the Chilko River and Big Creek.

Water levels throughout the river system are forecast to continue receding slowly into the weekend.

Residents stranded by severed roads or bridges will be supported with food and water as required, the regional district says.

It urges affected residents to contact its emergency operations centre to discuss specific assistance.

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Hey Mowich The difference 1 year makes huh?
Will I need to get a couple Riders to do a flood video for you? It must be climate change induced extreme weather.

I spent 6 days in the Rockies last week. Started in Jasper and went all the way down to Good Grief Idaho. 18C was the warmest day and our last. It was snowing a couple hundred metres higher up at The ice fields at 3C at the base. Not typical for the 4th of July. It did warm up to 6.5C from Lake Louise to Radium and and 11C the rest of the way into the US.

Warmest day on the boat at Koocanusa was 18 Shitty cold on the lake so we pretty much spent 5 days below deck drinking wine and eating trout and kokanee.

I don't know why with permanent climate change drought but all the rivers were running high and there is a shitload heading to 3 oceans.
How much do you want to wager all that freshwater is going to send salinity plummeting causing regional current anomalies like how they blame climate change altering the Gulf of Mexico currents when the Mississippi is at above average outflow.

B.C.’s Chilcotin River flood affects about 120 properties: regional district

Around here 4 inches over four days means not watering the lawn and garden for a week, not floods.

By The Canadian Press
Thu., July 11, 2019timer1 min. read
WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — The Cariboo Regional District says about 120 properties may have been affected by flooding along the Chilcotin River and its tributaries in British Columbia’s southern Interior.

District officials conducted a flyover of the huge region southwest of Williams Lake on Wednesday in order to determine the extent of flooding that occurred when more than 100 millimetres of rain swamped the area between July 5 and July 9.

Emergency officials say the flooded areas cover hundreds of kilometres, but the hardest hit regions include Big Creek, Nemaiah Valley and the Xeni Gwet’in First Nation.

The say damage to the 120 properties will vary and efforts are underway to determine how long it will take to repair washed out roads and bridges, while 20 ranchers have already reported submerged hay fields and damaged outbuildings.

Emergency Info BC

@EmergencyInfoBC
Flood Warning DOWNGRADED to High Streamflow Advisory for two tributaries of the Chilcotin River. Flood Warning MAINTAINED for Chilcotin River below Big Creek & other tributaries. More info: http://ow.ly/fXGv50uXLnS #BCFlood

12:32 PM - Jul 10, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
15 people are talking about this
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW
SPONSORED

The B.C. River Forecast Centre is maintaining a flood warning along the Chilcotin River southwest of Williams Lake, but its latest post says water levels have peaked at the one-in-200-year flood level.

Most of the river’s tributaries remain at flood stage, although the warning has been reduced to a high streamflow advisory for the Chilko River and Big Creek.

Water levels throughout the river system are forecast to continue receding slowly into the weekend.

Residents stranded by severed roads or bridges will be supported with food and water as required, the regional district says.

It urges affected residents to contact its emergency operations centre to discuss specific assistance.
Funny eh , just last month the CBC had a scientific sounding article saying B.C. was in drought and dryer then ever been recorded .

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
They will replace an area with pines, firs, spruces etc. The reason why you see poplar/cottonwood everywhere is because it grows fast and the companies will seed it sometimes to retain the soil.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
In Sudbury for example they used birch because birch loves the acidic soil man. So bro after that shit tripped out for a generation, all the other trees had a bit of a base to form their base which allowed for a sorta slight comeback.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
In Sudbury for example they used birch because birch loves the acidic soil man. So bro after that shit tripped out for a generation, all the other trees had a bit of a base to form their base which allowed for a sorta slight comeback.
I thought it was because you guys like to whip each other with birch switches in those famous Sudbury gay bath houses.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
All those sausage cameras have to output somewhere.
;)

Nutritional content reports don't just right themselves and then leave themselves carelessly left lying around...
:)
like Pinocchio's nose.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
They just hang an "OUT' sign on the "In" door to confuse the tourists.
;)
Why the heck do you think they put a half a nekkid butt cheek symbol ( usually black ) on the door?

Last edited: