BC Forest Fires

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Buffalo or bison?

Who knows? When we lived at Christina Lake (1999-2000) a guy up the road had a litter of buffalo and supplied the local butcher shop. I remember buying 10 lbs. of buffalo burger. The most remarkable thing I found about it was the price.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
To date there have been 138 fires in the province - 34 new ones started in the last two days. This in spite of all the precipitation we've had lately. There are 27 fires of note the largest encompassing 500 hectares but the majority being in the two digit hectare range.
The danger rating for the Boo has been lowered to moderate for now but the fire service informs us that as little as four days of hot windy weather could change that rating to extreme.

Thankfully our area has been blessed with constant showers that are able to soak into the ground. This is our 5th day of cool damp weather.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Who knows? When we lived at Christina Lake (1999-2000) a guy up the road had a litter of buffalo and supplied the local butcher shop. I remember buying 10 lbs. of buffalo burger. The most remarkable thing I found about it was the price.
I remember swimming in Lake Christina in 1994. It was as warm as a bathtub.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
To date there have been 138 fires in the province - 34 new ones started in the last two days. This in spite of all the precipitation we've had lately. There are 27 fires of note the largest encompassing 500 hectares but the majority being in the two digit hectare range.
The danger rating for the Boo has been lowered to moderate for now but the fire service informs us that as little as four days of hot windy weather could change that rating to extreme.
Thankfully our area has been blessed with constant showers that are able to soak into the ground. This is our 5th day of cool damp weather.
I hope you stay safe this year and every other one, for that matter. I have witnessed one gigantic forest fire in the Yukon and it was immense and unstoppable. All that you can reasonably do is to get out of it's way, I guess.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think two bad fire years in a row have a lot of people spooked. Sure it COULD happen a third time in a row, but the odds are it will just be a normal year I think. I suppose we should always be prepared for the worst (clean up around your property and have a sack full of provisions ready for a fast exit) but once that's done no use in worrying about shit that may never happen.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Apparently the warmest lake in summer in Canada that is surrounded by trees. (I've never heard it referred to as "Lake Christina" - maybe in Francais)
... misspelling ...

I believe that it is fed from underground hot springs.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It was probably horse, few herds of knotheads went missing about that time.
There was a big tainted meat scandal at Expo 67 perpetrated by an Italian Mafia meat supplier who got the exclusive contract ... Reggio Foods.

http://coolopolis.blogspot.com/2016/03/if-you-ate-hot-dog-or-hamburger-at-expo.html

An Aislin cartoon at the time had two American tourists in a restaurant with the waiter recommending the "Cheval Mort dans le Sauce Cotroni" and the lady saying:"Sounds good, Ed!"

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
ANother leftard lie. BCFS plants Alder seedlings raised in nuseries.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Did I hear somewhere that Alder is being used now in the construction of furniture? Or was I having a senior's moment?
Alder aka birch? Of course. Birch is gorgeous wood. It's a bitch on tools being so course but it's beautiful wood.