Trudeau 'welcomes' ethics probe of alleged PMO interference in SNC-Lavalin case

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
BUT (there's always a but :() if your income is so low you get GIS, that will be reduced because of the 'income' from the rrsp/rrif withdrawal. AND won't you be taxed on it too? Heads they win, tails you lose.

YES WE KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals are GRAVY GRABBING SWINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals consider that any cash we have in our pockets is merely TAX REVENUE that has yet to be collected!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is an older article illustrating an insidious problem that LIE-berals are ignoring! With some comments of my own in brackets):

Two-tier pension plans, at issue in the Canada Post talks, give millennials the short end of the stick

By Paul Daniel Müller, Special to Montreal Gazette.

Published: April 8, 2017

The labour dispute at Canada Post offers a telling example of how boomers are shifting the burden of their financial woes to the young.

(This is NOT being done by Boomers- its being done by LIE-berals buying civil service Hog votes at the expense of ALL others in Canada! Canada Post has ALWAYS been a greedy, selfish, costly thorn in the sides of Cdns- and never more so than in 1970 when then Letter carrier union president Darryl Bean crowed- after an especially nasty strike: “that Cdn letter carriers are now the best compensated civil servants in the world!)

(Further- there are a lot of Boomers in fixed incomes after having been forced to take early retirement regardless of what they could reasonably afford such people are just as frustrated with their situation as the kids!!!!!!)

In the current round of bargaining with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers, Canada Post Corporation is proposing that future postal workers — those to be hired from day one of the next collective agreement — get an inferior, defined-contribution pension plan, whereas current workers would keep their defined-benefit plan.

(LIE-berals are simply recognizing that there is NOT enough gravy to keep ALL the Hogs happy! Some may have to go short! And of course Posties are essentially operating the nearly obsolete adult equivalent of a delivery boys paper route in an era of e-mail and texting!!!!!!!!!)

(In my own case- the defined benefit pension the private company I worked for was switched over to an open ended mess fund by company profit sharing! But as the company was being badly managed -there was no profit and therefore NO PENSION! This is the UGLY REALITY of bankruptcy!)

(In 2017 -Wynne-bag LIE-berals altered corporate law related to pensions- becasue so many company pensions were in the red - LIE-berals wanted to make things LOOK BETTER! So LIE-berals decreed that pensions that had enough funding to cover 85 percent of their obligations would now be considered FULLY funded!)

(This is - in part- why General Motors pensioners have suffered through 3 pension reductions as the company withers! And it is why former Sears pensioners will be getting MUCH LESS than they expected! It is LIE-berals fiddling with debts yet again!!!!!!!!!!)

As usual, management is asking for concessions, while the union is trying to make some gains. This is normal. What is striking is that compensation rollbacks, should they occur, would be borne not by all Canada Post workers, but primarily by new hires.

(Clearly this is not fair to the kids- but senior Hogs will go berserk if their demands for gravy are not met!!! And there are a lot of retired Posties with their own demands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(Aging union Hogs are the minority among Boomers!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

If compensation for postal workers is greater than what is observed in the job market for positions requiring comparable skills, you might think that current employees, who benefit from this premium, might legitimately also be those called upon to shoulder the burden of adjusting to market realities. You might think that a new hire, typically a young man or woman in their 20s or 30s, with a fresh mortgage or a burgeoning family, might need the money more than a 50-something empty-nester with a paid-off mortgage. Not so. Nowadays, according to some twisted interpretation of intergenerational solidarity, it appears that it is the young, not the old, who are asked to bear the brunt.

(LIE-berals speak often -with passion - of fairness and equality- but all they really want is to remain in power at any price! Posties are essentially operating the same kind of newspaper delivery job I had as a kid! Their fall from being lords of the working world has been harsh but necessary!)

(The Postie monopoly stranglehold on mail delivery has been BROKEN as a result of their own GREED!! Govt gave companies like Fedex permission to operate in Canada as a result of Postie GREED and repeated strikes!!!!!!!!!!!)

Humans and animals are biologically programmed to protect their young — the future of the species — before saving their elders. But in our aging society, elders are off-loading to the young the burden of adjusting to market conditions. In the context of collective bargaining, this practice has been termed “orphan clause,” because younger workers cannot rely on the protection of their elder colleagues.

(Young Posties are not children! They are ADULT HOGS and they have equal access to ballot boxes at union halls and election polling booths! In addition - ALL unions are programmed to protect those with SENIORITY!!!!!!)

(Some species such as Bass and Alligators- and LIE-berals as well apparently- are not hesitant to turn cannibal and gobble up young who are to slow to hide! Frankly this LIE-beral “eat the young” policy is a function of the fact that so few kids bother to vote! LIE-beral logic is simple and direct- if you don’t vote in protest then you must not mind being screwed by LIE-berals!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Orphan clauses establish two tiers of workers, performing the same work, with the same skill sets.

Do you believe in equal pay for equal work? Labour standards, as well as the Charter of Rights, already prohibit wage discrimination based on gender, race and age. What about date of hire? Barring the unlikely event that new hires are not generally younger than the existing workforce, discrimination according to date of hire is a systemic form of discrimination based on age.

(Sadly, Cdns are now so angry at civil service Hogs that they seem not to have sympathy for young Hogs that are being discriminated against by older PIGS!)

How do orphan clauses occur? In collective bargaining, management and unions each defend the interests of their constituency: shareholders and workers. Future hires are outside union membership during bargaining, and so cannot be heard at the bargaining table. Some employers look for expedient ways to cut costs, irrespective of ethics. They push for two-tier systems, in wages or benefits, understanding this is the line of least resistance by unions.

Usually, unions initially resist such proposals. But at the end of the day, they often prefer to sacrifice new hires than give ground on something that hurts their existing base.

(Govt is working to close down the money losing Post Office- gravy grabbing posties or at least push them into break even mode so govt does not care what happens to kids who may be fired when the Post Office dies? How to divvy up the available work is up to the union!!!!!!!!!!!)

The labour code is a device designed to balance the strengths of management and unions, and thereby achieve fairly bargained outcomes. The device fails when both parties agree to shift the burden of cost cutting to a third party — future hires — that is absent from the bargaining table. Legislative action is therefore warranted to correct this failure.

(Except that our labour code was NOT designed to deal with a union possessing a monopoly/stranglehold on an essential service- which is what the Post Office USED TO BE! NOR is the labour code set up to deal with a now nearly irrelevant Post office!!! But all Hogs stand together- regardless of what is fair to tax payers - its Hog one for all and all for one. Its how Toronto Garbage men got jobs for life!)

(Unions are quite happy to see kids hired as Posties- but union management does NOT CARE about wage discrepancies! Now retired union Hog Buzz Hargrove was representing striking Air Canada workers and Hargrove actually BLAMED prime minister Mulroney for not stopping the strike!)

(Hargrove pointed out that if only Mulroney would forget about collecting $20 million dollars in income tax from Air Canada Hogs- then the union and company would have enough money to make a deal! Just too bad for other tax payers who would have to pick up the Hog slack! Mulroney wisely SHUNNED that deal!!!!!!)
Orphan clauses on wages are already prohibited by Quebec’s labour standards law. Canada Post could argue that federal law contains no such provision, either for wages or benefits. It could also argue that orphan clauses are not new. Still, it could be suggested that the government of Canada has a fiduciary duty to younger workers unable to fend for themselves within the framework of collective bargaining. Canada Post reports to Public Services Minister Judy Foote. Thus, the government could and should instruct Canada Post to pursue cost-cutting by other means than by shifting its burden to youth.

(That`s nice! Quebec also gets $11 billion dollars a year in federal transfer payments in exchange for voting LIE-beral! So Quebec can afford to be more generous with the Hogs!!!!!!!)

(The obvious problem with prohibiting such wage cuts for the Hog young is the fact that private sector is also doing similar wage cuts! This is why so many kids are working in short term, and contract and temporary positions! Alleviating wage pressure on civil service that is ALREADY being paid one third more on average than private sector gets for similar work is clearly discriminatory and will give rise to even greater friction between public and private sectors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Politicians of all stripes love to speak of their commitment to youth, hand on heart. But talk is cheap. If the Trudeau government allows its largest Crown Corporation to balance its books by soaking the young, millennials might take note.

(LIE-berals appear to have decided that Posties are disposable and thus fair game for LIE-beral grand standing! LIE-berals do not like that the public accuses them of bending and licking the boots of any civil service union that demands it- so LIE-berals are showing their`independence` by being `tough` with Posties??? But we KNOW LIE-berals will cave in time since they NEED those Hog

votes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Paul Daniel Müller is a consulting economist in Montreal.

(Postal union has averted this threat to the young for now- but it has NOT gone away! It is just flying under the radar- hidden by more urgent issues and will resurface once new contract talks begin! With additional pressure being brought to bear by dead broke kids in the private sector as election time approaches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
BUT (there's always a but :() if your income is so low you get GIS, that will be reduced because of the 'income' from the rrsp/rrif withdrawal. AND won't you be taxed on it too? Heads they win, tails you lose.
That is true .

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
We know what happened , the PMO and other heavyweights were leaning on the Attorney General to overrule her staff for the benefit of a large financial backer of the liberal party . Said company’s majority owner 20% is the Quebec pension plan . Said company has a history with both the Quebec and National Liberal party.. Said company has been convicted of bribery in the past including Canada . A public trial will publicize the comfortable relationship between the Liberal party and SNC Lavilon . Liberals don’t want that neither does SNC Lavilon .

Well that sews it up, pgs. They can call off the Justice Committee hearings tomorrow. No need for any further versions of the truth. I'm good with that. I'll just sit back and wait for the Admiral Norman affair to start gaining major media attention. I love the smell of scandal in the morning. :lol:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well that sews it up, pgs. They can call off the Justice Committee hearings tomorrow. No need for any further versions of the truth. I'm good with that. I'll just sit back and wait for the Admiral Norman affair to start gaining major media attention. I love the smell of scandal in the morning. :lol:
Well you don’t really think the Justice committee will seriously try to get anything more out of the PMO , and they won’t let JWR respond to testimony provided after hers nor will they let her speak to what transpired after a certain date . So imho my supposition is as good as any .

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
I like Ms Remple too Ron but for PM I'm going with Lisa Raitt.
Don't think I'd want either one. In that clip Michelle Remple comes across as a one-province, one-sided one-issue advocate. Fine for Albertans or others who share her passion but maybe not for the whole federal electorate.

If I was in need of a defence lawyer I'd love to have Lisa Raitt. But she looks to me like a terrier; a never-let-go Jack Russell maybe, who'd pull any stunt fair or dirty to get the result she wants.

Neither of them looks to me like the kind of leader who would seek reasonable compromise in a divisive issue. I want that in our leaders (but I won't hold my breath.)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I love the smell of scandal in the morning. :lol:

101 scandalous, unethical or just plain sad Harper government moments

How many of these moments do you remember?
It’s been a long decade of scandal, ethical lapses and just plain sad behaviour from the Harper government.
1. The cover-up of Mike Duffy’s Senate expenses.
2. Mike Duffy’s Senate expenses.
3. Robocalls.

More: https://pressprogress.ca/101_scandalous_unethical_or_just_plain_sad_harper_government_moments

First past the post is designed to be corrupt. It doesn't matter which party is in power, they are corrupted by the system. Political debate in this country is ridiculous because we do not live in a democracy (as everybody seems to presume) but in an oligarchy where the rich by the government they want and the "citizens" get the shaft.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Evening Update: Federal court strikes down request to review SNC-Lavalin decision

Court strikes down SNC-Lavalin’s request to review prosecutor’s decision to proceed with charges

The Federal Court of Canada has dismissed a request by SNC-Lavalin to review the decision that is at the heart of the current political crisis in Ottawa. In September, the director of public prosecutions declined to negotiate a deferred prosecution agreement with SNC-Lavalin and decided to proceed with charges of fraud and corruption. A deferred prosecution agreement would essentially let the Quebec engineering company pay a fine rather than face the charges. After that possibility was rejected, SNC-Lavalin made an unprecedented request for judicial review of the decision. Today’s court ruling essentially rejected that request.

Open this photo in gallery
Prime Minster Justin Trudeau, Liberal MP and former Canadian justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould, left, and Gerald Butts, who quit last month as Trudeau's chief aide, are seen in this combination photo from recent file photos in Toronto, and on Parliament Hill in Ottawa.

REUTERS FILE PHOTO/REUTERS

The political crisis that has gripped Ottawa since The Globe and Mail reported on Feb. 7 that attorney-general Jody Wilson-Raybould was being pressed to intercede in the case and push for a deferred prosecution agreement has resulted in the resignations of two cabinet ministers and the Prime Minister’s top aide, and has led to dramatic hearings at the Commons justice committee.

SNC-Lavalin has pursued several avenues to try to quash the fraud and corruption charges. Yesterday, we wrote about a mid-October letter from SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. CEO Neil Bruce to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reveals new details about the company’s concerns and appeals to Ottawa in the weeks after the opportunity to negotiate a settlement was denied.

Meanwhile today, the House of Commons justice committee announced it will hold an emergency meeting next Wednesday to discuss bringing former justice minister and attorney-general Jody Wilson-Raybould back to speak again. Justice committee chair, Anthony Housefather, a Liberal MP, confirmed the justice committee will meet behind closed doors on March 19, which is the same day the federal government will table its budget.

If she is invited back, one of the subjects of discussion could be the Jan. 14 cabinet shuffle, which has become a key focus of the the political controversy. Ms. Wilson-Raybould was demoted to Veterans Affairs after rejecting an offer to become head of Indigenous Services. Ms. Wilson-Raybould testified that she felt she was removed from her job in Justice because of her refusal to order the federal director of prosecutions to negotiate a deferred prosecution agreement with SNC.

Mr. Trudeau’s former principal secretary, Gerald Butts, who resigned in the wake of the controversy, testified this week that Ms. Wilson-Raybould was first offered the Indigenous Services portfolio but turned it down.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ral-court-strikes-down-request-to-review-snc/

This IS a criminal case...which we have on our plate TODAY.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Well you don’t really think the Justice committee will seriously try to get anything more out of the PMO , and they won’t let JWR respond to testimony provided after hers nor will they let her speak to what transpired after a certain date . So imho my supposition is as good as any .
Ooops that was a mistaken red, sorry Pgs.

JWR may yet get to say more.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
No really - call off the hearings now. We are not going to hear anything more from any of the parties save for their so-called truths. It is a waste of time.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
101 scandalous, unethical or just plain sad Harper government moments

It’s been a long decade of scandal, ethical lapses and just plain sad behaviour from the Harper government.
1. The cover-up of Mike Duffy’s Senate expenses.
2. Mike Duffy’s Senate expenses.
3. Robocalls.

More: https://pressprogress.ca/101_scandalous_unethical_or_just_plain_sad_harper_government_moments

First past the post is designed to be corrupt. It doesn't matter which party is in power, they are corrupted by the system. Political debate in this country is ridiculous because we do not live in a democracy (as everybody seems to presume) but in an oligarchy where the rich by the government they want and the "citizens" get the shaft.
LOL, Cliffy.......funny to see you aping the little potato...........'it's all Harper's fault'. :lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
LOL, Cliffy.......funny to see you aping the little potato...........'it's all Harper's fault'. :lol:
No, I am only pointing out that it doesn't matter if you vote Liberal or Conservative, they are both riddled with corruption, they are both owned by the same corporate and moneyed scum bags and neither give a shit about you.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
No, I am only pointing out that it doesn't matter if you vote Liberal or Conservative, they are both riddled with corruption, they are both owned by the same corporate and moneyed scum bags and neither give a shit about you.
I don't disagree with you, Cliffy. Politics are a dirty business and you are right in pointing out that both parties have been involved in scandals. I'm simply sick and tired of hearing about big bad Mr Harper. It's 2019 and the corrupt liberals are in power so let's stick with them for they are giving us more than enough material with which to see them turfed in the coming election. Like it or not, Cliffy - someone has to run the country and not one single party is above using their office to further their political agenda's.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Liberals shut down SNC committee meeting

OTTAWA - Liberal MPs have used their majority on the House of Commons justice committee to shut down an opposition attempt to call Jody Wilson-Raybould to testify again on the SNC-Lavalin affair.

Shortly after the meeting convened, the Liberal committee members abruptly voted to adjourn, with Conservatives and New Democrats shouting out epithets like "Cover-up!" and "Despicable!"
"What a shame," said Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre. "You should be ashamed."
Today's meeting came about at the request of opposition members, who wanted the former justice minister and attorney general to appear again to answer claims made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's former top aide Gerald Butts.
They were able to force the committee to meet, but couldn't control what happened when it did. According to committee rules, a motion to adjourn takes precedence over anything else the committee might do.
Wilson-Raybould quit the federal cabinet in mid-February as controversy raged over pressure she says she faced from Butts and others last fall to head off a criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin over alleged bribery and fraud it used to seek contracts in Libya.
When he testified, Butts put the dispute down to a series of miscommunications and misunderstandings.
Poilievre said it wasn't fair that Butts got to speak about things that happened between the time Wilson-Raybould was shuffled to Veterans Affairs in January and the day she quit cabinet a month later, while the former minister herself felt bound by cabinet secrecy obligations.
Trudeau could have freed her to speak openly, he said.
"He sent in his majority to shut down that discussion without a debate and ensure that Canadians will never know the truth," Poilievre said after the abrupt end of the meeting.
"If they were going to let her speak, they could have done it today ... Justin Trudeau is transforming the justice committee into the Justin committee."
New Democrat MP Tracey Ramsey said Trudeau himself has benefited from what she called a double standard.
"We've heard the prime minister speak very freely about a period of time that Ms. Wilson-Raybould has not been able to speak about," Ramsey said.
"Today, (Liberals) signalled to Canadians that they aren't interested in the truth."

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I don't disagree with you, Cliffy. Politics are a dirty business and you are right in pointing out that both parties have been involved in scandals. I'm simply sick and tired of hearing about big bad Mr Harper. It's 2019 and the corrupt liberals are in power so let's stick with them for they are giving us more than enough material with which to see them turfed in the coming election. Like it or not, Cliffy - someone has to run the country and not one single party is above using their office to further their political agenda's.

Strange ain,t it? I now have fond memories of Harper.