Trudeau 'welcomes' ethics probe of alleged PMO interference in SNC-Lavalin case

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
The issue that the SNC Lavalin situation exposes is a major problem in jurisprudence throughout the West, That is, it holds corporations rather than individuals responsible for criminal acts.
Lavalin did not commit a crime. Its Chief Executive and Senior Directors allegedly committed those crimes expecting that any consequences would accrue only to the company and not to themselves. Hence any repercussions would be imposed on an entity without a soul or, a will or, sentience or, a conscience. It is something that could be written off as a business expense.
This was a major instigator of the financial collapse of 2008. In that crisis all the consequences for the greed and criminallity of the chief executives and traders of the investment banks and the gobal insurers was shucked off by their corporate legal armour. These parasites remained unpunished, in fact, indemnified and rewarded by government largesse and bailouts.
In the Lavalin case the law is indicting an organization thereby holding completely innocent employees culpable for the crimes of its executives. The exectives of the corporation are in essence using them as human shields. Clearing up this artifice of justice would hold the promise of placing real deterrants in the judicial system and prosecuting real criminals rather than their surrogates.
All that Coldstream has spelled out appears valid to me; in fact seems so self-evident as to be hardly worth saying, yet it receives no attention from anyone in politics or the legal/justice systems. Why is this?
I suggest it's because in treating corporations 'as persons' and largely letting their upper-level personnel off the hook, politicians are able to cultivate those persons; maintain them as friends & cronies to whose businesses they can extend political, even financial favours; thus incentivising the cronies to contribute back to the well being of the politicians and/or their parties. In other words it allows a sort of two-way patronage system that may not visibly break any law biut is actually quite corrupt.
I haven't managed to express my thoughts as well as I would like. Maybe someone else can do a better job of exploring the subject.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
This is what will hurt Trudeau:

Many voted for him sick of Harper's secrecy and tight grip on his MP's and Trudeau promising to do things differently.

I think Scheer could easily take the wind out of that sail on two fronts:

1. Make it clear that he's taken note of how Harper's tight grip on his MP's brought the Liberals to power.

2. Make it clear that he wont' wsate taxpayer's money fighting over what a woman wears at a citizenship ceremony.

Do those two things, and he more or less guarantees no Liberal majority at least.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
As Ms Copps mused, the former AG would have been able to arrange a DPA if it was 9000 first nations jobs on the line.

Sheila Copps no longer has the rat pack; all by herself now but but still behaving the same.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is what will hurt Trudeau:

Many voted for him sick of Harper's secrecy and tight grip on his MP's and Trudeau promising to do things differently.

I think Scheer could easily take the wind out of that sail on two fronts:

1. Make it clear that he's taken note of how Harper's tight grip on his MP's brought the Liberals to power.

2. Make it clear that he wont' wsate taxpayer's money fighting over what a woman wears at a citizenship ceremony.

Do those two things, and he more or less guarantees no Liberal majority at least.
After having Mr. Harper in (tough, intelligent, micromanager, Not warm and fuzzy though), and knowing the pendulum was going to swing politically to the opposite end of the spectrum, Harper steps back as he knows he'll be the wrong fit....& in the last election both the Liberals & Conservatives put forward candidates that where both opposites to Stephen Harper (both are warmer, dimmer, malleable, not micromanagers, etc...) and we had Trudeau & Sheer to choose from. Trudeau had nicer hair. Neither are the right fit for this next election in October of 2019.

The pendulum is going to swing the opposite direction (people will want someone more like Harper) and neither Trudeau or Sheer will fit that role. Lord knows who the Lib's should put forth next but it's not Trudeau, & the Con's should put forth Michelle Rempel or someone much like her.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Johnny for PM

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
After having Mr. Harper in (tough, intelligent, micromanager, Not warm and fuzzy though), and knowing the pendulum was going to swing politically to the opposite end of the spectrum, Harper steps back as he knows he'll be the wrong fit....& in the last election both the Liberals & Conservatives put forward candidates that where both opposites to Stephen Harper (both are warmer, dimmer, malleable, not micromanagers, etc...) and we had Trudeau & Sheer to choose from. Trudeau had nicer hair. Neither are the right fit for this next election in October of 2019.

The pendulum is going to swing the opposite direction (people will want someone more like Harper) and neither Trudeau or Sheer will fit that role. Lord knows who the Lib's should put forth next but it's not Trudeau, & the Con's should put forth Michelle Rempel or someone much like her.
We gave Harper two terms to run the place into the ground, equal time is fair. Perhaps JT is Canada's Putin, only a former snow-boarder rather than former head of the Secret Police of the USSR. (hardly worth mentioning, . . . cough)

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Harper is an introvert which is very unusual in a politician. Most are at self-promoting and are often also narcissists. The Canadian public grew suspicious of Harper and his motives as he hid from view rather than bang his drum, all of the time as "normal" politicians are wont to do. The same fate seems to await Theresa May in England ... another introvert politician thrust into the limelight.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

This is who I'd like to see as the next PM of Canada:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Frankly, Ron they can end the hearing any time now. I don't care to hear another witness's version of the 'truth'. Isn't going to happen. A full public inquiry is the only way we might get to the real truth behind all the innuendo and accusations. Even then, I doubt we will ever really know what happened.
We know what happened , the PMO and other heavyweights were leaning on the Attorney General to overrule her staff for the benefit of a large financial backer of the liberal party . Said company’s majority owner 20% is the Quebec pension plan . Said company has a history with both the Quebec and National Liberal party.. Said company has been convicted of bribery in the past including Canada . A public trial will publicize the comfortable relationship between the Liberal party and SNC Lavilon . Liberals don’t want that neither does SNC Lavilon .

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We know what happened , the PMO and other heavyweights were leaning on the Attorney General to overrule her staff for the benefit of a large financial backer of the liberal party . Said company’s majority owner 20% is the Quebec pension plan . Said company has a history with both the Quebec and National Liberal party.. Said company has been convicted of bribery in the past including Canada . A public trial will publicize the comfortable relationship between the Liberal party and SNC Lavilon . Liberals don’t want that neither does SNC Lavilon .
Is that why Harper sold Candu to SNC for a song, cuz they owned the liberal party? This is not a one sided affair. Both major parties are beholding to these scum bags, which by association, makes them all scum bags.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Associated Press prints FAKE NEWS defending Trudeau and SNC-Lavalin | Ezra Levant

Rebel Media
Published on Mar 12, 2019

Ezra Levant of The Rebel.media reports on The Associated Press publishing an article DEFENDING Justin Trudeau's handling of the SNC-Lavalin scandal while quoting Liberal partisan "experts" without disclosing their partisan status.

JWR only got away with questioning the PM because she is an aboriginal and a woman...according to (unmarked) liberal commentators. I guess this is about the custom op eds that trudie was talking about.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Frankly, Ron they can end the hearing any time now. I don't care to hear another witness's version of the 'truth'. Isn't going to happen. A full public inquiry is the only way we might get to the real truth behind all the innuendo and accusations. Even then, I doubt we will ever really know what happened.
We can hope for the court of public opinion on election day...
:)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It helps when your residence is paid for . That frees up a lot of cash .
That's right,.....I made sure the mortgage would be paid of a few years before I retired debt free...
and the only RRSP's I use up is the minimum I have to cash out every year.
The one drawback with fixed income, is that every year, the value goes down....

If we live too long, we'll die paupers.....

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That's right,.....I made sure the mortgage would be paid of a few years before I retired debt free...
and the only RRSP's I use up is the minimum I have to cash out every year.
The one drawback with fixed income, is that every year, the value goes down....

If we live too long, we'll die paupers.....
Don’t die without cashing in your rrsp’s , any money left will be taxed as income for the year . Best to pull the maximum out every year and keep more money out of mr. government’s pocket .

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Don’t die without cashing in your rrsp’s , any money left will be taxed as income for the year . Best to pull the maximum out every year and keep more money out of mr. government’s pocket .

BUT (there's always a but :() if your income is so low you get GIS, that will be reduced because of the 'income' from the rrsp/rrif withdrawal. AND won't you be taxed on it too? Heads they win, tails you lose.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Another of many very good points (starts about 9 minutes in) states that this isn't about the role of the Attorney General but about the role of the PMO, & that this 'Justice Committee' is run by a Liberal majority under the thumb of the PMO's office (which is the office under examination) so no independence and very partisan so unable to make unbiased decisions, and that Mr. Butts's evidence was problematic at best around the rule of law. That the legal strategy of the PMO's office to continually harass JW/R was very flawed, and an outside unbiased investigative group with the ability to call witness's by subpoena & under oath to conduct this investigation under the rule of law. That it doesn't make sense that Butts had the ability to speak freely about everything & anything but that Wilson/Raybould was partially gagged. She summed up Butt's testimony and the actions of the Office of the PM as not credible.

The little detail you are MISSING is that even after LIE-berals did that SNEAKY little re-write of the law..................

Lavalin STILL DID NOT QUALIFY for a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is ONLY IF LAWS ARE BROKEN AND FACTS ARE NOT INVESTIGATED BY LIE-berals that a Lavalin "deal"

can now be reached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And in a strange way.....................LIE-berals ARE telling us more of the truth than they realize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals keep INSISTING that there are 9000 Lavalin jobs on the line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And business analysts tell us that is not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNLESS........................we may assume there is MORE to the Lavalin scandal than has so far been revealed??????????????????

IS THAT WHY LIE-berals are so certain 9000 jobs are on the line?????????????????????

Is it because LIE-berals KNOW the full extent of illegal behaviour?????????????????????????????????

If the FULL TRUTH were to come out............would THAT KILL Lavalin?????????????????????

And what would FULL TRUTH do to LIE-beral party?????????????????????