Canada one step closer to marijuana legalization

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I expect this will bring on a wave of effects of habitual use of marijuana.. depression, paranoia, lethargy, isolation, neurosis, disengagement from social, familial, educational and vocational pursuits.. ultimately into fantasy ridden psychosis. It's especially damaging to young people.

But our arch hippy guru PM thinks this will just mellow out the nation.. opening it into a land of tangerine trees and marmalade skies with cellophane flowers of yellow and green...

Last edited:

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Hi! This is Hermie. My real name is Herman, but I think my parents didn't like me. Justin likes me though! I got a job as his, like, information secretary! Wow! Cool, right? And I never even voted.

Anyway, Justin told me to explain the marijuana legislation thing. He explained it to me first, so this is, like, official and stuff.

Justin is going to make it legal to smoke marijuana. That's so cool!

You have to buy it from the licenced farms or whatever that are going to grow it. And that means taxes and government monitoring. That's like control, only not so mean sounding!

That also means that if you're one of those street corner sellers, the cops are gonna bust you! Justin told me that it's illegal to sell stuff without a licence. It's also illegal to sell untested products that are regulated, but because you're like, a street corner pusher, you didn't get your dope approved, so you'll like, go to jail! So don't! Don't sell untested, unregulated, untaxed dope on the corner, k? Buy from an authorized dealer!

Justin is so wise and hot looking. But like, not in a sexual way. As a modern Canadian male in my 20s, I can admire his buff form, rock hard abs and cute face, but still respect him and his heterosexuality at the same time.

Anyway, it won't be illegal to have dope providing that you follow these simple rules:

The Rules

1. Purchase from an approved seller.
2. Pay all taxes.
5. Always smoke marijuana that bears the official government label.
8. Don't smoke in front of underaged kids.
8. Don't smoke and drive.
3 Don't operate machinery and smoke.
11. Observe all possession limits.
4. Purchase from an authorized dealer.
5. Keep your dog leashed in all park areas.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That would make most things pretty much impossible for anyone not living in a city to access. Of course in the country we can grow our own pot and distill our own whiskey, all without interference from the government. But we shouldn't have to risk jail for either.

How would it be impossible?

Take the liquor store.

You pass by an unmarked building every day and see people walking in and out of it all the time.

One day, you want to buy some wine. If you haven't done so already, you contact your IO to opt in to such sites, search local beer stores, find one in your postal code, email it for the address, and get an automatic reply.

Oh well whadda ya know, it's that unmarked building you were wondering about. Easy.

But if for whatever reason you don't want to know where to buy alcohol, then you probably won't.

This could help many alcoholics.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
The fat in bacon can be combated by increasing your intake of vinegar (or dry wine) by the appropriate amount. That should work for T-bone steaks as well but if you need more than a magnum per meal you may have other problems. That is using hallucinogens to treat alcoholism. As far as who is in control a magic mushroom will overpower a quart of hard-stuff so at the very least there is a mood shift..
What in the flying frigster, are you babbeling about sir ?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hidden makes it more alluring.

Laws now require tobacco shops to hide keep tobacco out of sight. Why do you think? Probably to help addicts who are trying to quit.

What I'm saying is now make the shop itself out if site.

It might be hidden, but would still be legal. Those who really want to try it could do so, but out if sight of addicts who are trying to quit.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I could see two options:

1. Exempt a restaurant that merely tolerates people bringing, serving, or drinking their own alcohol, it

2. Make the restaurant invisible to the public's eyes.

If a person wants that restaurant, he contacts his internet provider to opt in, accesses an advertising website that advertises such restaurants, emails the restaurant the street address and open hours, and off you go.

For example, it would be easy to just remove the sign from an LCBO. A passreby would just see a building with people walking in and out of it.

He wants to know what it sells, then ask the person who just walked out of it.

It"s not that hard.
You just don't get it do you? You are talking about censorship and infringing upon a whole host of personal rights and freedoms. I understand you have no willpower or self-control and the mere sight of a pot shop will send you into a horrible downward spiral of addiction leading to a quick death and leaving your entire family and friend group with PTSD and make them all follow your path to addiction and death, BUT that doesn't matter. You do not get to decide what other sane adults can do, see or say. I'm sorry if you are that incompetent at managing your life you need to keep everything YOU deem to be bad hidden from all of society. Maybe just go find a safe space somewhere and don't come out...ever!

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
...It might be hidden, but would still be legal. Those who really want to try it could do so, but out if sight of addicts who are trying to quit.

We did that with my Uncle Ned for years. He's 102 and has been in my dad's attic since 1953. Dad says the family is trying to help him quit being crazy.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
. . . effects of habitual use of marijuana.. depression, paranoia, lethargy, isolation, disengagement from social, familial, educational and vocational pursuits.. ultimately into fantasy ridden psychosis. . ...
Those conditions already exist, the pot is to lessen their impact in a person's life. If the are part of 'quitting' then they are actually just 'resurfacing' rather than being caused by stopping pot.

We did that with my Uncle Ned for years. He's 102 and has been in my dad's attic since 1953. Dad says the family is trying to help him quit being crazy.
Who is helping the family that came up with that as being the 'solution for Ned'?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You just don't get it do you? You are talking about censorship and infringing upon a whole host of personal rights and freedoms. I understand you have no willpower or self-control and the mere sight of a pot shop will send you into a horrible downward spiral of addiction leading to a quick death and leaving your entire family and friend group with PTSD and make them all follow your path to addiction and death, BUT that doesn't matter. You do not get to decide what other sane adults can do, see or say. I'm sorry if you are that incompetent at managing your life you need to keep everything YOU deem to be bad hidden from all of society. Maybe just go find a safe space somewhere and don't come out...ever!

You could open a pot shop next to my home and I won't start. Cripes, I know where to buy alcohol but I don't. So why would I start with marijuana?

What I'm saying is that some people are addicted and trying to quit and keeping such products out of their sight could help them?

Do you work for Du Maurier by any chance? If you do, how do you sleep at night?

I expect this will bring on a wave of effects of habitual use of marijuana.. depression, paranoia, lethargy, isolation, disengagement from social, familial, educational and vocational pursuits.. ultimately into fantasy ridden psychosis. It's especially damaging to young people.

But our arch hippy guru PM thinks this will just mellow out the nation.. opening it into a land of tangerine trees and marmalade skies with cellophane flowers of yellow and green...

Okay, so what do you propose?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Laws now require tobacco shops to hide keep tobacco out of sight. Why do you think? Probably to help addicts who are trying to quit.

What I'm saying is now make the shop itself out if site.

It might be hidden, but would still be legal. Those who really want to try it could do so, but out if sight of addicts who are trying to quit.

Tobacco is behind a curtain to prevent children from seeing it...which is a joke because anyone over 7 knows what is behind the curtain. You are completely insane if you think putting a curtain in front of something will prevent an addict from purchasing it. You are even more insane if you think your inability to control yourself gives you the right to decide what every other adult in the country can see or have open access to. This is obviously a big personal issue for you and I hope you can overcome whatever it is that affects your brain to a point of total lack of control but again..it is your personal problem and you need to deal with it without infringing on every other person's freedoms and rights.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Tobacco is behind a curtain to prevent children from seeing it...which is a joke because anyone over 7 knows what is behind the curtain. You are completely insane if you think putting a curtain in front of something will prevent an addict from purchasing it. You are even more insane if you think your inability to control yourself gives you the right to decide what every other adult in the country can see or have open access to. This is obviously a big personal issue for you and I hope you can overcome whatever it is that affects your brain to a point of total lack of control but again..it is your personal problem and you need to deal with it without infringing on every other person's freedoms and rights.

Firstly, you obviously have a problem with reading comprehension. I already said it's not about me. I'd quit alcohol cold turkey myself once out of the military.

Secondly, you obviously don't understand basic marketing psychology. If you're at a shop and not looking for chocolate, you probably won't buy it if you don't see it. You might still not buy it even if you do see it, but less probably than if you don't. If you don't see it, it probably won't even cross your mind. If you see it, it might.

Now tobacco is different from chocolate due to its nicotine content. So you might think about as soon as you see the curtain

But if it's in a separate shop that sells only tobacco and you have to look for it to find it, you'll think about at least somewhat less.

To take another example. You pass by a massage parlour and have no idea if it sells sex or not. No biggie.

Now imagine as you walk by a woman walks out topless and starts fondling you. Okay, bad example, you might recoil in shock. But anyway, you get the idea. If you walk by the liquor store and it advertises itself, you are more probably going to go in and buy liquor than if it doesn't all other factors being equal of course.

So yes, controlling advertising affects consumption and only a child or an idiot would deny that.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Okay, so what do you propose?

A case of strong beer or a litre of good whiskey. It's well tolerated and moderately consumed by 95% of the population. It's impossible to tolerate or moderate marijuana use.. its stored in body fat.. activated by a toke.. essentially it turns all its users into despondent, listless pot heads.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A case of strong beer or a litre of good whiskey. It's well tolerated and moderately consumed by 95% of the population. It's impossible to tolerate or moderate marijuana use.. its stored in body fat.. activated by a toke.. essentially it turns all its users into despondent, listless pot heads.

How is alcohol any better?

So are you saying criminalize pot?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
How is alcohol any better?

So are you saying criminalize pot?

There's a difference between decriminalizing pot and legalizing it. I don't have a problem with giving out misdemeanor tickets for consumption or possession of personal use quantities.. and 3 year sentences for cultivation or trafficking.

A good place to start would be to rescind all medical marijuana laws for THC that is not processed under pharmaceutical controls and administered solely by injection, patch or pills.. and under strict, doctor issued, non renewable prescriptions.

The medical marijuana industry is a racket.. for a drug with NO therapeutic value that has ever been proven under labratory, double blind testing.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If tobacco weren't legal today, we wouldn't even dream of legalizing it. Marijuana contains twice as much tar as tobacco.

Okay, THC has medicinal value. For that, see a physician and take it as prescribed.

As for recreational marijuana, tobacco, alcohol, and gambling products, fine, legalized them all, but keep them completely out of the public's eye to the extent that most people would need to look for it to find it. For the rest of us, out of sight, out of mind.

So you want public access without public access.

There's a difference between decriminalizing pot and legalizing it. I don't have a problem with giving out misdemeanor tickets for consumption or possession of personal use quantities.. and 3 year sentences for cultivation or trafficking.

A good place to start would be to rescind all medical marijuana laws for THC that is not processed under pharmaceutical labratory controls and administered solely by injection, patch or pills.. under strict, non renewable prescription control. The medical marijuana industry is a racket.. for a drug with NO therapeutic value.

You're opinion in this matter can be crushed under positive scientific results spanning fourty years.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There's a difference between decriminalizing pot and legalizing it. I don't have a problem with giving out misdemeanor tickets for consumption or possession of personal use quantities.. and 3 year sentences for cultivation or trafficking. A good place to start would be to rescind all medical marijuana laws for THC that is not administered solely by injection, patch or pills.. under strict, non renewable prescription control. The medical marijuana industry is a racket.. for a drug with NO therapeutic value.

From what I have read, it might have therapeutic value.

I'm divided though between criminalizing it except as prescribed by a physician on the one hand, and legalizing it or decriminalising it but with extremely (and I mean extremely) strict advertising and promotion rules on the other.

The common denominator being, whether it's legal, criminal, or decriminalised, its advertising or promotional for recreational purposes ought to be strictly controlled to ensure that only those who are actively looking for it will find it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So you want public access without public access.

You're opinion in this matter can be crushed under positive scientific results spanning fourty years.

Public access without public access. Cure.

Let's just say that I distinguish between selling the product and promoting it. Its promotion should be banned and its advertising strictly regulated so that only those who are looking for it will find it.

Cigarette companies are notorious for finding loopholes in advertising laws, and that is why advertising laws for such priluducts should be very tough with minimal possibility of finding loopholes.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Get off the herb DB. It'll ruin ye..

You can take the bag out of my cold dead hand.
Have some consideration about your endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a group of endogenous cannabinoid receptors located in the mammalian brain and throughout the central and peripheral nervous systems, consisting of neuromodulatory lipids and their receptors. That's right you're built to endulge and for those who's

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You can take the bag out of my cold dead hand.
Have some consideration about your endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a group of endogenous cannabinoid receptors located in the mammalian brain and throughout the central and peripheral nervous systems, consisting of neuromodulatory lipids and their receptors. That's right you're built to endulge and for those who's

By all means, as long as its commercial promotion is prohibited.