Conservatives will 'leave the nastiness' behind: Rona Ambrose

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
You being living (sort of) proof of that.

It sounds like Rona is no longer being paid by Big Pharma to preach the evils of marijuana.
Rona is so whishy washy,
she is not even sincere to herself,
myself i was wishing for her or Jason K to be the interm leaders of the Conservative party,
i am so happy she was chosen,rock on Conservatives!

Rona is a goof!

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
'You don't have to be angry' :lol:

Conservatives will 'leave the nastiness' behind: Rona Ambrose
Great, maybe the left-tards will follow suit instead of acting like their Constitutional rights have been stomped on every time they feel like they've been offended.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
How are they going to leave nastiness behind when the Party is still being hijacked by the Reform/Alliance Hillbillies?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If Ralph Klein were still here, he'd be flipping the bird to Rona Ambrose.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How are they going to leave nastiness behind when the Party is still being hijacked by the Reform/Alliance Hillbillies?
I'd recommend crunchy, tasty campaign slogans. "A kinder, gentler America (change to Canada)" and "compassionate conservatism" worked pretty good down hereabouts.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I see the cons on here are not getting with the spirit of the "leave the nastiness behind" memo. Isn't that what conservatism is all about, fear of change.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Andrew Coyne: First fix for the Conservatives — their psyche

“We got the big things right,” Jason Kenney was saying the other day. “We got the tone wrong.”

A lot of Conservatives have picked up on this theme. “It was very clear at the doors,” former international trade minister Ed Fast told the Globe and Mail, “that the tone and style of how we governed had lost the support of a large number of Canadians.”

That’s certainly true. It’s just not the whole truth. No doubt the Conservatives’ habitual secrecy, authoritarian excesses and relentless partisanship gave people lots of reasons not to vote for them. But as important in their defeat was that they gave people few reasons to vote for them: not in the course of the campaign, not in the years that led to it.

I’m not sure what the big things were that Kenney thinks they got right, but they mostly amounted to things they didn’t do: raise taxes, for example, or institute a national daycare scheme. Yes, they get points for digging out of the deficits they created, for cutting the corporate tax, and for negotiating several big free trade deals.

But in the main what characterized the Tories’ 10 years in power was timidity, mixed with inconsistency. They took few risks, invested almost no political capital, articulated no broad vision. Where they did act, it was as often as not by stealth: important measures would be found buried four hundred pages deep in an omnibus bill, or parsed from some throwaway remark by the prime minister at a conference in Switzerland.

And with each about-face, broken promise or abandoned principle, from corporate subsidies to foreign investment to deficit spending, from the rights of MPs to the discussability of abortion to Quebec’s nationhood, it became harder and harder to understand just what principle or philosophy was guiding Conservative policy — other than blind obedience to the leader.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

“We got the big things right,” Jason Kenney was saying the other day. “We got the tone wrong.”

A lot of Conservatives have picked up on this theme. “It was very clear at the doors,” former international trade minister Ed Fast told the Globe and Mail, “that the tone and style of how we governed had lost the support of a large number of Canadians.”

That’s certainly true. It’s just not the whole truth. No doubt the Conservatives’ habitual secrecy, authoritarian excesses and relentless partisanship gave people lots of reasons not to vote for them. But as important in their defeat was that they gave people few reasons to vote for them: not in the course of the campaign, not in the years that led to it.

I’m not sure what the big things were that Kenney thinks they got right, but they mostly amounted to things they didn’t do: raise taxes, for example, or institute a national daycare scheme. Yes, they get points for digging out of the deficits they created, for cutting the corporate tax, and for negotiating several big free trade deals.

But in the main what characterized the Tories’ 10 years in power was timidity, mixed with inconsistency. They took few risks, invested almost no political capital, articulated no broad vision. Where they did act, it was as often as not by stealth: important measures would be found buried four hundred pages deep in an omnibus bill, or parsed from some throwaway remark by the prime minister at a conference in Switzerland.

And with each about-face, broken promise or abandoned principle, from corporate subsidies to foreign investment to deficit spending, from the rights of MPs to the discussability of abortion to Quebec’s nationhood, it became harder and harder to understand just what principle or philosophy was guiding Conservative policy — other than blind obedience to the leader.

The "authoritarian" tendency to "rule" the country out of the Prime Minister's Office started during the Pierre Trudeau years and each successive administration has chipped away at the power of our Parliament and turned the country into a protodictatorship. It became downright severe under the Harper administration. I attribute it to Harper's peculiar personality and a tendency in the right of the party to import ideas and techniques from south of the border. We do not have a presidential system. We have a Westminster Parliament but our glorious leader and his handlers want to morph the PMO into a White House.

The concentration of power into one person is an anathema to the "old", pre-Reform/Alliance conservatives and it certainly chips away at our freedom. Kenny has only scratched the surface. It goes far beyond the superficial " tone" and the real problem is a skewed world view that has become tainted by some truly mean spirited bastwards.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They still need lollipops to compete with the current government.
And better hair.

I wouldn't expect it as long as the membership keeps thinking it's better than anyone who doesn't think exactly the same - the big reason I left the party
One of Flossy's greatest flaws.

It was his response to protesters from the west. He was showing the west his respect.
You don't actually expect an ideologue to remember the truth do you?

Silence might be a good thing from the nasty crowd - though it's not likely to happen (even if there might be gold involved)
Flossy isn't known for his silence.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The "authoritarian" tendency to "rule" the country out of the Prime Minister's Office started during the Pierre Trudeau years and each successive administration has chipped away at the power of our Parliament and turned the country into a protodictatorship. It became downright severe under the Harper administration. I attribute it to Harper's peculiar personality and a tendency in the right of the party to import ideas and techniques from south of the border. We do not have a presidential system. We have a Westminster Parliament but our glorious leader and his handlers want to morph the PMO into a White House.

The concentration of power into one person is an anathema to the "old", pre-Reform/Alliance conservatives and it certainly chips away at our freedom. Kenny has only scratched the surface. It goes far beyond the superficial " tone" and the real problem is a skewed world view that has become tainted by some truly mean spirited bastwards.

Well Harper is the last remnant of Bush era politics which is why we are having our Obama moment right now.