Andrew Coyne: No need for Tories’ ‘Throw Away the Key Act’

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Quit f-cking lying.

Lolz...you always say that when you don't like what I've said.

... and yes you can respond in your own vehicle with flashing green lights which designates a first responder

If the municipality allows it. In Alberta, section 59.1 of the highway traffic act gives municipalities the right to pass bylaws allowing for the flashing green light. I'm currently unaware of any municipalities in this area that have done so.

A real AB first responder would know that

A real AB first responder knows the actual rules, not the fantasy rules some farm labour from Regina thinks applies to them.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No matter how hard you try to shore sh-t up it's still all bullsh-t. You're done. Not a single soul believes you.

BTW I'll accept an apology if you put one forth like a man would do.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Is it full of Keystones?

Circumstances?

I think as time passes the focus does switch from punishment to rehabilitation. Maybe not for the most heinous criminals eg. Picton, Olson, Bernardo but the vast majority aren't like those creeps. I think it's a hell of a lot better for society IF they can be managed on the outside, provided they hold a steady job and pay taxes we are all better off, than we are warehousing them indefinitely at $100 grand a year.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you murdered someone in the first degree you are still as big of a loser as the famous serial killers.

They can be productive in jail helping rehab inmates who do get a second chance.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
No matter how hard you try to shore sh-t up it's still all bullsh-t. You're done. Not a single soul believes you.

Don't be so silly. You don't speak for everyone. Lots of people here believe me. I've sucessfully refuted everything you've said. You're just mad. Perhaps if you stopped trying to argue about things you know so little about, you wouldn't look so ridiculously silly so often.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Are they the ones with pompoms like the ones my wifes wears with her cute little tennis skirt?

correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is pommage visible here as he wiffs the ball.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
life does not mean life in Canada

what is the difference between killing someone in a rage or confining and repeatedly raping them...one is alive technically, I'm not certain how alive that is

Should we be tarring all perpetrators of capital crimes with the same brush? Does that lend itself to treating them all effectively?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Should we be tarring all perpetrators of capital crimes with the same brush? Does that lend itself to treating them all effectively?

If you had lost a family member to one i am sure there would be no questions in your little mind.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
If you murdered someone in the first degree you are still as big of a loser as the famous serial killers.

They can be productive in jail helping rehab inmates who do get a second chance.

Everybody should be offered a second chance if they deserve it. Only a fool would knowingly and willingly turn their back on somebody that was willing and able to become a productive member of society.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
you have totally and completely misconstrued what I was speaking of in that quote...understandable considering one has to scroll through tons, and tons of zero on topic discussion cr*p in between the attempt by the rest of us making it almost not worth the effort to try to figure out what anyone is talking about.

what I was addressing was the sentence for murder on one level while rape and confinement are on another...one guy gets life the other can be out lickety split. An example of that was the thread you posted about the guy who was released in a relatively short period of time regardless of being confined repeatedly for rape and then rape and confinement which would indicate that his behaviour has escalated but still he is free. From a behavioural perspective that is illogical. Rape is apparently not as serious because the victim is still physically breathing...they may not be alive mentally or emotionally but there is not adjustment in our sentencing for that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Don't be so silly. You don't speak for everyone. Lots of people here believe me. I've sucessfully refuted everything you've said. You're just mad. Perhaps if you stopped trying to argue about things you know so little about, you wouldn't look so ridiculously silly so often.

Lots? Name one. You've refuted f-ck all, it's why you get pegged as the liar you are. Want me to point out the most recent lies from today?

Everybody should be offered a second chance if they deserve it. Only a fool would knowingly and willingly turn their back on somebody that was willing and able to become a productive member of society.

F-ck that and f-ck you.

correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is pommage visible here as he wiffs the ball.

Well if that ain't the faggiest of coincidences?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
you have totally and completely misconstrued what I was speaking of in that quote...understandable considering one has to scroll through tons, and tons of zero on topic discussion cr*p in between the attempt by the rest of us making it almost not worth the effort to try to figure out what anyone is talking about.

what I was addressing was the sentence for murder on one level while rape and confinement are on another...one guy gets life the other can be out lickety split. An example of that was the thread you posted about the guy who was released in a relatively short period of time regardless of being confined repeatedly for rape and then rape and confinement which would indicate that his behaviour has escalated but still he is free. From a behavioural perspective that is illogical. Rape is apparently not as serious because the victim is still physically breathing...they may not be alive mentally or emotionally but there is not adjustment in our sentencing for that.

Sorry, I don't recall advocating short sentences for rape and confinement. I know it happens like in the cases of shenanigans in college dorms, while drunk that are considered to be something less than rape?

Who is worse, the seller or the buyer?

Quite often the one over the age of majority!

I would agree that there are some for whom there is no hope, but I would never put that label on all.

but they are still eligible for parole no? They might not get parole but they can apply.... at least according to what this says...

Life Sentences and Section 745.6 of the Criminal Code. In Canada, murder is either first or second degree. Persons convicted of either must be sentenced to imprisonment for life. Generally, persons convicted of first-degree murder are not eligible for parole until they have served at least 25 years of their sentence.
Life Sentences and Section 745.6 of the Criminal Code - A ...

Life Sentences and Section 745.6 of the Criminal Code - A Crime Victim’s Guide to the Criminal Justice System

I have a little trouble with eligibility to apply for parole. I think people should be eligible to apply only where there is a realistic, albeit possibly slim chance of it being granted. Years ago they had to fly that animal Clifford Olson back to B.C. from SK. I believe for a complete farce, which accomplished two things..............wasted $thousands of taxpayers money and greatly upset the parents of the murdered children.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sorry, I don't recall advocating short sentences for rape and confinement. I know it happens like in the cases of shenanigans in college dorms, while drunk that are considered to be something less than rape?
I don't even know what to say here...we've lost the direction completely. I feel like we are having two completely different conversations.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't even know what to say here...we've lost the direction completely. I feel like we are having two completely different conversations.

Yes, I think the thread is getting a little vague. Back to the main topic, when we are sentencing people to "life", in this day and age that could conceivably mean 70 years. Should as much as 70 years be "carved in stone"? I personally doubt it, but as Skook pointed out, maybe the person who hasn't suffered the loss shouldn't have a say!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You're in your own head which is up your as$. Should we review today's lies that you keep f-cking yourself with?