Sharia Law or Canadian Law.....

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Or, perhaps you might want to stick with facts instead of extrapolating.... the rights of these Muslims to follow Halal, compared with the rights of this man to access services.

But that's not the purpose of the thread. The purpose of the thread is to express hatred of Muslims.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The purpose is not to spread hate of Muslims at all. It is critical of some of
their beliefs. Then of course there is a myriad of Christian beliefs that show
up with the same nonsense.
We have others religions where cows can do whatever they like because
they are holy, and the Egyptians worshipped cats and so on. We live in a
society that is somehow supposed to house and shelter nonsense.
One of the biggest features I find annoying is the fact that all these religions
have a tax holiday on church lands and so on Why? They should all pay
their fair share. I also agree that where they do good works with housing and
food and clothing etc they should receive tax deduction.
The business of collecting money is the Jesus business and should be taxed
accordingly. The church or temple buildings or mosques should be taxed
like anyone else The law of the land should prevail, the rule is seeing eye dogs
are part of the society they are permitted in stores and places of business

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
But that's not the purpose of the thread. The purpose of the thread is to express hatred of Muslims.
Besides being a damn lawyer, you are also a mind reader

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm all for accommodating someone's religious beliefs but this says it all right here:

Mike Simmonds says the problem started two months ago when a dispatcher for Comfort Cabs told him he would need a pet-friendly taxi.

A guide dog is not a pet, it is a guide dog. It is illegal to refuse a guide dog.

Now, being not comfortable with and refusing service are two different things. But if they're refusing him, they're in the wrong. It's up to the cab company to accommodate it's customers, it's not up to the customers to accommodate the cab company.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Besides being a damn lawyer, you are also a mind reader

McCloud - YouTube
Reading your mind ain't exactly hard.

The purpose is not to spread hate of Muslims at all. It is critical of some of
their beliefs.
According to the guy that started the thread, the purpose was indeed to express hatred of Muslims.

Y'know, this is really pretty simple. If you can't obey the laws, including the disability laws, you can't drive a taxi. Don't matter if you're refusing customers because they're a different race, or need disability accommodation, or you don't want to go where they want you to go. This ground has been trodden again and again and again. Pull their licenses and let them go be janitors in a nice, halal abattoir. Ain't hard.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'm all for accommodating someone's religious beliefs but this says it all right here:

A guide dog is not a pet, it is a guide dog. It is illegal to refuse a guide dog.

Now, being not comfortable with and refusing service are two different things. But if they're refusing him, they're in the wrong. It's up to the cab company to accommodate it's customers, it's not up to the customers to accommodate the cab company.

In Toronto....
Can I bring my dog, my pets, on the TTC?

Leashed pets or pets secured in an enclosed container are welcome to travel on the TTC during weekday off-peak periods - that is before 6:30 am; 10:00 am to 3:30 pm; after 7:00 pm. A Service Animal may accompany a passenger at any time. See the TTC By-law, Section 3, for full detail
TTC Service Information

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I have always been under the impression that, no matter where you are or where you go, any public space or business establishment cannot refuse entry to a guide dog. Store, restaurants, office buildings, public transportation.

Now I think pets are a different matter, and I'd personally check with a cab company or even a public transit operator (train, bus, etc) to check on a pet policy. But a service animal, no way they should be refused. And I don't think you should have to ask in advance either. They serve a purpose and a function.

You should not have to ask for a service animal. Wheelchair accomodation sure, you need a different and very specific vehicle for that. But not for a service animal.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have always been under the impression that, no matter where you are or where you go, any public space or business establishment cannot refuse entry to a guide dog. Store, restaurants, office buildings, public transportation.

Now I think pets are a different matter, and I'd personally check with a cab company or even a public transit operator (train, bus, etc) to check on a pet policy. But a service animal, no way they should be refused. And I don't think you should have to ask in advance either. They serve a purpose and a function.

You should not have to ask for a service animal. Wheelchair accomodation sure, you need a different and very specific vehicle for that. But not for a service animal.

And if the driver has an allergy?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What Christian symbols are nonsense. The concept of miracles and patron
Saints validated by miracles nonsense.
Religion is a belief system not a science based set of facts. The paradox is
some science is based on theory which is a form of belief system. Thus we
subscribe to nonsense the same as the fiction of ghosts and demons.
What is really sad is the Muslims were once the moderates, they had a thriving
society that gave us many things including the number system we use today.
Religion is a belief system that in moderation is not a problem. Even within
Islam there is a moderate strain that does not subscribe to fanaticism.
Then again there are fundamentalists in all faiths.
My position is I don't care what religion one belongs too they should have to obey
the law of the land they are in.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I say fire the butts of anyone who refuses to take the dog with the man. I really don't give a damn about their stupid prejudices against dogs. The dogs are no dirtier than camels!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And if the driver has an allergy?

Then his/her health takes precedence- But you are reaching- you know it and I know it.
What happens if call a Taxi and mention I have pork in my shopping bags- Do I lose my right to a publicly regulated transport?
A friend trained a trucker - hauling groceries- including loading- unloading pork products-which he did- after paying the person for a full week -he passed training- offered the job - he refused the job as he could not handle pork. Really

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I say fire the butts of anyone who refuses to take the dog with the man. I really don't give a damn about their stupid prejudices against dogs. The dogs are no dirtier than camels!
You can take a seeing eye camel on a bus over there? Wow, just wow, they are way ahead of Jews and Christians.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You can take a seeing eye camel on a bus over there? Wow, just wow, they are way ahead of Jews and Christians.
When you phone for a cab why not say you need a van as you have a service animal? I'm really trying not to picture a blind guy and his dog chasing down a cab on any street anywhere and no matter what it ends up being, it is somewhat comical for all bystanders.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving