Sharia Law or Canadian Law.....

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There are 4 other cab companies in Toontown.

A cabbie can refuse any fare they want to refuse. They are not obligate to take on the fare just because the fare wants them to.

I'm not entirely certain your laws work like ours do, but down here it's illegal to refuse a person for disability accommodation, just as it would be illegal to refuse a person because of her race. The cabbie and the cab company have a right to refuse a fare, but they may not refuse a fare for some reasons, such as race, sex, national origin, religion, disability, etc.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
HRC's are not a court of law and as has been shown can ignore the law.

He did not require a special cab. Just a cab for him and his dog.

He does not need nor should be required to ask for a specific person based upon religion to drive him. That would be discrimination on his part.

He does not need to call and schedule as he needs a cab- Not a special vehicle-

How is their Religious freedom infringed upon. When walking down the street, meeting a person with a dog- do they run to the other side of the street - Do they haul groceries- pork in there -

And he will win.

He has to travel with a dog, in a city where he knows contact with a dog is against the religion of most of his cabbies. So yes, if he expects a cab in a timely fashion, he has to phone ahead, the same as every other person with a handicap needing a specific vehicle.

The fact of the matter is, he can't trump the individual rights of the cabbies with his rights, so he won't win a suit against them. And the cab company, while disorganized, is not inaccessible to him, so he won't win a suit against them.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm not entirely certain your laws work like ours do, but down here it's illegal to refuse a person for disability accommodation, just as it would be illegal to refuse a person because of her race. The cabbie and the cab company have a right to refuse a fare, but they may not refuse a fare for some reasons, such as race, sex, national origin, religion, disability, etc.

The company is not refusing him due to his disability, in fact they've accommodated him each time... individual cabbies are refusing due to their own religion, not his disability. There's a difference, and the HRC will make that distinction.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I guess...it has to be frustrating for someone who needs a guide dog and then has to plan ahead all the time in order to cab it

I'm willing to bet it's a common thing for people with guide dogs or service dogs in general, and I know for a fact from having a friend who is legally blind without a service dog, planning your transportation becomes second nature. Even for myself, if I have time sensitive things on the go, I phone the day before and schedule my cabs. Appointment at 8? I'm not phoning at 7 and risking a hitch in the schedule. I phone the day before and book a cab.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The company is not refusing him due to his disability, in fact they've accommodated him each time... individual cabbies are refusing due to their own religion, not his disability. There's a difference, and the HRC will make that distinction.
As I said, it may be different, but down here, if you flag a cab, and the cabbie pulls over, then says "I'm not going to take you because you're black" or "I'm not going to take you because of that guide dog," the cabbie has broken the law. I agree the company is likely to win in this case, but if the search for a disability-friendly (i.e., guide dog-friendly) significantly slows or interferes with the guide-dog user's ability to expeditiously get where he's going, the company is sailing mighty close to the wind.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No such laws in Saskatchewan

BC has a Taxi Bill of Rights

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Lucky guy.

I'm aware Islam allows some contact with dogs in limited cases... like I said, if I were him, I'd take this to the local imams and hope they could set things straight for me. But, I wouldn't count on BC's precedent applying. We'll see, but I wouldn't count on it. Especially depending on who he's brought his suit against... the cabby, or the company.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Whether it's the same guy calling over several weeks to the same cab company, or someone different all the time, they should not (cannot?) refuse the dog because the dog is needed. I really hope he wins the case.

And if this guy has been using the same company for a while, you'd think they'd have at least ONE car/driver who can drive him where he's needed, so if he calls ahead of time, just book that car for the time he needs it. Unless the company is all Muslim drivers, in which case, hire a new driver to take on passengers like this.

As an aside: according to these religious laws, Muslims can't touch the dogs nor can they touch them, so if the person sits in the back seat... what's the big deal? Granted in my dinky town we don't have glass to separate back and front seats but bigger cities I thought had plexi for protection so, again, the big deal?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
As I said, it may be different, but down here, if you flag a cab, and the cabbie pulls over, then says "I'm not going to take you because you're black" or "I'm not going to take you because of that guide dog," the cabbie has broken the law. I agree the company is likely to win in this case, but if the search for a disability-friendly (i.e., guide dog-friendly) significantly slows or interferes with the guide-dog user's ability to expeditiously get where he's going, the company is sailing mighty close to the wind.

Like I said to DaS, it will be an issue of which rights the court decide to give priority. And courts are mighty fickle about that.

Now, don't get me wrong... if this were sitting in the court of judge karrie, the right of a disabled person to mobility, trumps religion if it comes down to a 'head to head' between this gent and the individual cabbies. But, if it comes to him versus the company, I'd lay out some rules, and push for some new by-laws in the city, but I wouldn't ding the company for individuals' religious views.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No such laws in Saskatchewan

BC has a Taxi Bill of Rights
Except insofar as Saskatchewan is part of Canada. . .

"3. (1) For all purposes of this Act, the prohibited grounds of discrimination are race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability and conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted or in respect of which a record suspension has been ordered.

5. It is a discriminatory practice in the provision of goods, services, facilities or accommodation customarily available to the general public
(a) to deny, or to deny access to, any such good, service, facility or accommodation to any individual, or
(b) to differentiate adversely in relation to any individual,
on a prohibited ground of discrimination."

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/H-6/FullText.html

I could make a very good case that slower cab service whilst the cab company hunts up a cabbie willing to carry a guide dog "differentiates adversely." It'd be a slam-dunk down here.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yes for appointments the couple beside me do a "time call"

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
im in northern Iraq at the moment and not one of the Muslims i work with here have a problem with the random dogs we come across. They feed them and pet them and talk to them while petting them... They don't let the fleas or their religion stop them from petting the dogs, lol... I guess the muslims i work with are more tolerant and smarter than the average bear :lol:

they also use dogs here for shepherding goats and sheeps... Those dogs have a purpose the same as that dog serving the blind man has a purpose. No one is complaining about that here, maybe its because everyone here has an AK-47 :lol:.. And the average joe in Saskatchewan has only a hunting rifle :lol:...

The cabbies dont like it here, then go to the United Kingdom :lol:

check my ip i sure as hell aint in Sudbury or Arkansas :lol:

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He will win- HRC's can ignore the law as we are all well aware of. They also look to other Provs for rulings. I posted one earlier in the thread.

Sending another cab- Nope- fail
Asking for a Non Muslim driver- shows or could show religious prejudice on his part.
Calling the same company- They should have been aware of the dog
Blackmore -not relevant- His was in criminal court.

As to the article and what is or is not mentioned- normal for a paper- only so much space. Wait for the ruling.

Make mine an extra large.

Blackmore's case was dropped because the Charter and freedom of Religion and the practises of his FLDS Religion.

Except insofar as Saskatchewan is part of Canada. . .

"3. (1) For all purposes of this Act, the prohibited grounds of discrimination are race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability and conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted or in respect of which a record suspension has been ordered.

5. It is a discriminatory practice in the provision of goods, services, facilities or accommodation customarily available to the general public
(a) to deny, or to deny access to, any such good, service, facility or accommodation to any individual, or
(b) to differentiate adversely in relation to any individual,
on a prohibited ground of discrimination."

Canadian Human Rights Act

I could make a very good case that slower cab service whilst the cab company hunts up a cabbie willing to carry a guide dog "differentiates adversely." It'd be a slam-dunk down here.

It's not a Fed or CC issue. Its Provincial.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Blackmore's case was dropped because the Charter and freedom of Religion and the practises of his FLDS Religion.

It's not a Fed or CC issue. Its Provincial.
So, your federal human rights laws don't apply in the provinces?

Wow, that seems very odd to me. Variations in legal systems are interesting.

Thanks.

Can you discriminate against non-whites or women in the provinces?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So, your federal human rights laws don't apply in the provinces?

Wow, that seems very odd to me. Variations in legal systems are interesting.

Thanks.

Can you discriminate against non-whites or women in the provinces?
Depends on whether or you're an independent contractor hauling people around.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Depends on whether or you're an independent contractor hauling people around.
Yep, If the driver owns his ride and pays the taxi company a percentage for using its dispatcher ect... Then he would be allowed to refuse a fare....
But in that case the driver would be only partly liable unless the company has strict rules regarding guide dogs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A driver can turn you away for smelling bad, too much hairspray, drunk, refuse to serve certain neighbourhoods, bulky cargo, or if you look creepy and many more reasons.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Bloody Muslims. Why's it never the Jews or the Sikhs or the Hindus causing trouble? It's always the bloody Muslims.

I hope Farage wins in 2015, is all I can say.