Another Shooting?? Shocking !! (not)

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Bill is STUPID?? What asteroid does the author of that comment live on??

He is on target with just about all his comments. And THAT is why folks who think he is stupid demonstrate they cannot handle the realities of his statements.

Yes...guns ARE worshipped in the US. Just as they are with those that love wars.

If they were not worshipped.......you would not have the number of owners brag about their gun collections........as if it is an extension of their own person hood.

If they were not worshipped to the point of being a religion .... they would not be so prevelant with so many people.

Heck......even little aging ladies show off their pearl handled "cute" guns at their bridge game. ( I know...I saw it happen)This NOT a one off.

Of course gun owners LOVE their weapons........and display them for the treasures they believe them to be. Such love of inanimate objects is perverse at best. Such love can turn into fanaticism which is a componant of all religions.

There is no harm in admitting the truth about what guns mean to the american mindset. It is a humongous part of the US culture.

In the meantime most are getting or have gotten used to hearing about shootings. That is part of the desentization that happens

Bill speaks the truth.......something most simply do not want to hear. So they bash him , making him an object of their disdain. Anyone that thinks differently.........or THINKS is a threat to the american gun loving mindset.

In reality , I am surprised that he has not been a shooting target.......as he cuts so close to the raw truth. )

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Bill is STUPID?? What asteroid does the author of that comment live on??

He is on target with just about all his comments. And THAT is why folks who think he is stupid demonstrate they cannot handle the realities of his statements.

Yes...guns ARE worshipped in the US. Just as they are with those that love wars.

If they were not worshipped.......you would not have the number of owners brag about their gun collections........as if it is an extension of their own person hood.

If they were not worshipped to the point of being a religion .... they would not be so prevelant with so many people.

Heck......even little aging ladies show off their pearl handled "cute" guns at their bridge game. ( I know...I saw it happen)This NOT a one off.

Of course gun owners LOVE their weapons........and display them for the treasures they believe them to be. Such love of inanimate objects is perverse at best. Such love can turn into fanaticism which is a componant of all religions.

There is no harm in admitting the truth about what guns mean to the american mindset. It is a humongous part of the US culture.

In the meantime most are getting or have gotten used to hearing about shootings. That is part of the desentization that happens

Bill speaks the truth.......something most simply do not want to hear. So they bash him , making him an object of their disdain. Anyone that thinks differently.........or THINKS is a threat to the american gun loving mindset.

In reality , I am surprised that he has not been a shooting target.......as he cuts so close to the raw truth. )

I've had distain for Bill Maher and have recognized him as a moron ever since he hosted the most politically correct show on earth......Politically Incorrect. The man has never had an original thought.

Once again, people enjoy weapons, respect them, value the freedom to have and use them, and love them in the same way people love whatever it is they are in to.....

But it is hardly a religion.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
It had nothing to do with the poster, or even the post, and everything to do with the title. It was a gloat. A gloat over a shooting. I'm curious if you'd gloat equally if the same thing happened at Dawson College again? Or at Ecole Polytechnique?

gloating over a shooting??? You really don't "get it" do you??? The point of the title is to indicate that the frequency of the shootings are literally becoming common place and not out of the ordinary as they should be. We should NOT be exposed to the number of shootings and killings that are taking place . Such frequency indicates some serious symptomology in a society where guns and aggression rules.

But......folks just gotta have those guns. Fine. No problem with that. as long as they are prepared to accept the reality of a gun culture and the consequences that can & do take place.

How many more innocent victims of shootings must take place before folks wake up to the real issue and address it. Or has the gun culture become so jaded and innured to the shootings/killings that they are hardly a ripple in their collective consciousness??

It is a challenging issue with many layers to it.

Colby: It all depends on how you define "religion". The fact that the gun culture is so fanatical makes it a "religion "

Naturally views about such a hot button issue will vary.:smile:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Thanks, earth.

Stats do speak volumes too. But they don't measure attitudes towards gun ownership and other abstract factors surrounding the issue. There is a certain psychology that surrounds the gun culture.

Student T.J. Lane has been charged on six counts related to Monday's shooting at Chardon High School in Ohio, according to court documents.
The charges against the 17-year-old sophomore -- filed in juvenile court -- were three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated murder and one count of felonious assault.

source: CNN breaking news mailing.

when this happens in schools......it is tragic on so many levels. :-:)-:)-(

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
It was obvious to me that this was a thinly veiled attack on gun ownership. Rather than attempt to argue that point which is pizzing in an ocean, i would ask how many schools and students there are and what is the percentage of shootings per capita as opposed to drug deaths for example? How is the "war on drugs" working? Not by any means to play down a terrible atrocity at all here, but questioning if the "cure" would work.
Is a death by firearm more a tragedy than the recent numerous deaths due to ecstasy?
There is also a "certain psychology" regarding the penchant for some to proclaim that the sky is falling for any firearms incident. Pity they leave out even more real and common dangers.
Orwell had his dates mixed up.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Anyone without a violent crime conviction should be able to possess a firearm including a handgun after taking a course in firearm safety and passing a practical test demonstrating competence and responsibility. Only then should a person a permit to own firearms. The permit should be as tough to get as a driver's license.

I am not against sane, competent, responsible people owning firearms. I am against insane, incompetent, irresponsible people having access to firearms.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The US is number 13 for number of firearm deaths per capita. A little better than Mexico and little worse than the Philippines:

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canada has half the rate of the US. If you eliminate suicides, Canada has about 1/5 the rate of murders and unintentional deaths as the US.

Considering the USA has the most firearms per capita in the hands of private citizens, with few controls, 13th ain't bad.......

But, once again, I have to point out that the use of firearms deaths (as opposed to murder/suicide/accident statistics) is both misleading and irrelevant. The use of such stats is a ploy by gun control advocates to con the general public.

The premise is that the very presence of firearms is a cause of murder, and suicide. Yet the United States has a murder rate significantly lower than the world average, despite being awash in guns.........and the suicide rate in the US is low as well, lower than that in Canada.

To use your own example, the murder rate in Mexico is 18.0 per 100,000 (2010).....the rate in the USA is 4.8 per 100,000 (also 2010) A little different than "a little better" isn't it?

So, if you wish to be taken seriously, and have a point aside from anti-gun propaganda, you have to dump firearms related from the suicide/murder equation.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
It has been stated that the violent crime rate has dropped noticeably and in some places dramatically in the approximately 30 states who have adopted the concealed carry of handguns. I wonder how those stats can be skewed? Or spun.
I do not believe that a criminal record check (including domestic violence "allegations") are necessary to acquire a drivers license to control several thousand lbs of "potential" mayhem on wheels.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It's all very well to spew stats about shootings, but try comparing them to the gun laws that countries have. Mexico has some of the most draconian laws in the world. Yet the States has fewer shootings per capita. And I'd make a bet the reason why is because of the packing laws there. You try and roll someone for their cash when they are likely to stick the muzzle of a .357 or something up your nostril and you're just plain stupid.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It had nothing to do with the poster, or even the post, and everything to do with the title. It was a gloat. A gloat over a shooting. I'm curious if you'd gloat equally if the same thing happened at Dawson College again? Or at Ecole Polytechnique?

Wow, so long after the fact, you've already rebutted the post, when it was posted, and you still feel the need to give it a neg rep? Talk about petty childishness.... enjoy yours in return.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
It's all very well to spew stats about shootings, but try comparing them to the gun laws that countries have. Mexico has some of the most draconian laws in the world. Yet the States has fewer shootings per capita. And I'd make a bet the reason why is because of the packing laws there. You try and roll someone for their cash when they are likely to stick the muzzle of a .357 or something up your nostril and you're just plain stupid.

What exactly are the Mexican gun laws. (ok , I can look it up......but prefer to see it here in discussion);-)

Which country(s) have the best and most effective gun laws on the planet?? what makes them effective?? And what can we learn from them??

thanks.

Ya know stats are totally meaningless when someone loses a loved one, a child, or is crippled for life as a result of a shooting "incident"?? How do "stats" measure the grief and torment that is the result. Stats are important as long as they don't dehumanize a situation .... and the realityis PEOPLE are not NUMBERS. They are flesh and blood with feelings ....all of which are vulnerable .

but, to those that cherish your guns. No need to worry......they are here to stay and probably increase in presence and destruction. That seems to be the way of the world. Strange set of priorities. Those of us who's work has involved SAVING lives, mending the results of these gun shootings.....and dealing with the families of the ones injured and killed.....and seeing the ravages resulting from gun shots as well as the grief stricken faces of their loved ones......... have a different understanding of what is important . The ones doing the shooting.......regardless of the circumstances...........have NO idea of the effects of their actions on so many surrounding the target of their shots. The problem is that many simply don't care.

Each application for a gun ownership permit........should be accompanied by a mandatory visit to an active ER that sees the gun shot victims come to. AND a mandatory visit to the morgue. Particularly when young people and children are the victims and have had their life cut short by some gun loving fanatic. gone crazy. Only then , they might appreciate the whole picture of responsible gun ownership. Plus they must pass a course in handling a gun, actually shooting it . taking it apart, putting it together and understanding all about how these weapons work.

And NO.......no amount of TV violence can compare to the real thing.

Wow, so long after the fact, you've already rebutted the post, when it was posted, and you still feel the need to give it a neg rep? Talk about petty childishness.... enjoy yours in return.

As the post must have been redundant.......I apologize. My bad. *for the redundancy)

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I do not own a firearm and really have no intention of buying one in the foreseeable future but there is some serious overreaction here. I did grow up with hunting rifles and shotguns in our house and see nothing wrong with that, provided the owners take my parents' approach with regard to teaching responsibility around them. I have never owned and don't see a reason for owning a handgun (personally I DON'T buy into the whole protection thing: perhaps I've lived a sheltered life but I'm just not that paranoid), but I don't agree with a lot fo the reactions I see to them, as long as owners are responsible with them.

When I see reports of incidents, like what happened in Cleveland, I am deeply saddened, and yes my first instinct is to question where the kid got the weapon. However I know that even if firearms are out of the equation, other things can still be and will be used. The other day I saw a report of a 10 yr old girl dead after she was in a school yard fight with another girl: no evidence of weapons was found by police, just 2 kids beating on each other.

Ya know stats are totally meaningless when someone loses a loved one, a child, or is crippled for life as a result of a shooting "incident"?? How do "stats" measure the grief and torment that is the result. Stats are important as long as they don't dehumanize a situation .... and the realityis PEOPLE are not NUMBERS. They are flesh and blood with feelings ....all of which are vulnerable .

I can sympathize and agree with this to a degree. It IS tragic when someone is hurt or killed because of someone else's unlawful and/or negligent actions but that isn't only true for firearms: its true for drivers, its true for unethical/irresponsible business practices and for any number of other causes of harm.

but, to those that cherish your guns. No need to worry......they are here to stay and probably increase in presence and destruction. That seems to be the way of the world. Strange set of priorities. Those of us who's work has involved SAVING lives, mending the results of these gun shootings.....and dealing with the families of the ones injured and killed.....and seeing the ravages resulting from gun shots as well as the grief stricken faces of their loved ones......... have a different understanding of what is important . The ones doing the shooting.......regardless of the circumstances...........have NO idea of the effects of their actions on so many surrounding the target of their shots. The problem is that many simply don't care.

Does the same hold true for people who own cars (which are responsible for more death and mayhem in our society than guns)? For people who own blunt objects and knives (each responsible for more murders and violent crimes in Canada, than firearms)?

Each application for a gun ownership permit........should be accompanied by a mandatory visit to an active ER that sees the gun shot victims come to. AND a mandatory visit to the morgue.
And how will this be paid for? Not everyone who is applying for an ownership permit lives in a large urban area that has gunshot victims in their hospital or morgue. Many are small town/rural owners. Again are you willing to demand the same for drivers, people who own knives, etc or perhaps smokers (another activity believed to be responsible for more death and chronic effects than firearms)?

Particularly when young people and children are the victims and have had their life cut short by some gun loving fanatic. gone crazy.

Young people are killed in any number of situations, often because of their own sense of invincibility. Its always a tragedy when it happens but not every or even most youth deaths are related to "gun loving fanatics". I'm not adverse to trying to eliminate these tragedies but lets address the most common causes first, shall we?

Only then , they might appreciate the whole picture of responsible gun ownership. Plus they must pass a course in handling a gun, actually shooting it . taking it apart, putting it together and understanding all about how these weapons work.

I wholeheartedly endorse requiring firearm ownership applicants to prove their proficiency (i.e. provide proof they have been trained in safe handling and storage of firearms). That's perhaps the only thing in the quoted hysteria that I DO agree with. I think that as far as the American "obsession" with firearms goes, that's something that does need to be brought into the equation in some states that don't already have that requirement. I don't agree that instituting Canadian laws in the US would work, because of the subtle differences in their society and culture (not to mention the number of handguns out in the general populace...).

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
While I agree that guns don't kill people and that people kill people, guns make it easier for people to kill people. If more Mexicans could afford handguns and they were as prevalent in Mexico as they are in the US, I'm sure more Mexican criminals would use handguns to commit crimes. I would expect increased access to handguns in Mexico would also increase their murder rate. More handguns would probably decrease Mexico's attempted murder rate.

Few people have a "need" for a handgun, unlike a car, which are required by many/most people... ie. people who deliver pizza for a living for example. Nearly everyone who lives in a rural area and uses their car to drive to work and buy groceries needs a car. But I can't think of a single person outside law enforcement and security who require a handgun. However having a .22 handgun would be "handy" while deer or moose hunting. Ruffed grouse seem to know it would be dumb to attempt to hunt them with a .308 rifle. Carrying two rifles would be awkward. So being able to hunt upland game birds with a small caliber pistol or hand crossbow could be justified, even though that would be illegal according to current laws.

Firearms aren't without risks, otherwise, they'd be sold at "Toys R US", and children would play with them. So they must be controlled and regulated.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Neg rep from Ocean Breeze is really positive karma from the rest of the universe :)

that's great. Like your positive twist on things. :smile: Have a nice day.

You use the word "hysteria". If your assessment of a posters input is "hysteria"....... than I suggest you volunteer to help in the ER and see what gun shots yeild in the form of injuries ...and the amount of skill it takes to fix them........if they can be fixed.

Yes......there are all kinds of other methods that the culture of violence partakes in. And they too yeild horrific bodily harm. But that is not the topic and that rationalization does not excuse the amount of gun abuse. All you are doing is validating the existence of a culture of violence. In that , you would be correct..

You inquired : who would pay for it?? as in pay for time in the morgue and time in the ER. ?? IF any payment would be required......it would be paid for by the one seeking gun ownership. Just call it paying for gun education . Usually no pay is nec as both areas are more than willing to teach the consequences of shootings.

The morgue visits have been done on a small scale with young (early teens) school kids........and they had a powerful impact . Sure makes gun ownerhip and use a whole lot less glamorous than seen on the telie. There have been trips to the ER by some student groups to see the results of gunshot wounds. Again........powerful and lasting impact.

Hysteria?? How about the author of that comment volunteer to advise the family of the victim of what happened, how thier loved one died and deal with the reaction to their loss. & grief. Then come back and tell us this is a" hysterical" response to a serious and deadly issue in today's culture.

How about the trauma that witnesses suffer.?? Seeing your school mates hurt and killed due to gunshots leaves a lasting affect.

Unless of course..........society has become so jaded and conditioned to gun shootings now........that it is hardly a ripple in its collective consciousness.

Last edited: