Stem Cell Burgers

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I'd starve first. Yuck!

Better stop eating then. It is estimated that most Canadians eat an a half kilo or so of insects per year in the form of tiny mites on fruits and vegetables as well as and their eggs. Still more insects and eggs are found in processed food.

So far as the article is concerned the great science fiction author Frederick Pohl wrote about artificially grown foods in the 1950s. If I remember correctly the book was called the Space Merchants. One striking scene I remember from the book is visiting a factory in which a giant chicken heart (some ten meters or so across) is constantly harvested even as nutrients are added to keep it beating. Humourously, the heart was nicknamed "Chicken Little" by the people who harvested and tended it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Better stop eating then. It is estimated that most Canadians eat an a half kilo or so of insects per year in the form of tiny mites on fruits and vegetables as well as and their eggs. Still more insects and eggs are found in processed food.

You know, I could have died happy not knowing that. ;)

So far as the article is concerned the great science fiction author Frederick Pohl wrote about artificially grown foods in the 1950s. If I remember correctly the book was called the Space Merchants. One striking scene I remember from the book is visiting a factory in which a giant chicken heart (some ten meters or so across) is constantly harvested even as nutrients are added to keep it beating. Humourously, the heart was nicknamed "Chicken Little" by the people who harvested and tended it.

I don't eat much processed food, so to me just the idea of 'synthetic' is unpalatable to say the least.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
How well do oxo and chocolate go together?

No, I was talking about cockroaches. I said that I wouldn't want to eat cockroaches(if it got to the point where we had to eat insects), but I guess I'd be willing to try chocolate-covered cockroaches.:lol:

OXO cubes. Blech! I'd rather eat a cockroach!

OXO and chocolate? Ewwww.

I have to eat breakfast in eight hours!

Maybe I'll just skip it.

There are many things made of chocolate that are quite tasty.:)

Chocolate OXO cubes are not one of those items.:lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Roaches kinda smell like butterscotch. I wonder if they taste like butterscotch?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Roaches kinda smell like butterscotch. I wonder if they taste like butterscotch?

You know, cockroaches probably wouldn't taste as bad as I think they do, but with all the negative things you hear about them, it just reinforces their "yuck" factor.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Start with crickets and grasshoppers then work your way up to roaches.

I've actually heard people say that crickets and grasshoppers are actually quite tasty, especially when they are fried or dipped in various things(sauces, chocolate, etc.)

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007

They might not be so bad...

as long as you don't cough up the exoskeleton afterward.

just sayin

I wonder if you can farm them. I mean, besides under your fridge.

:?)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As if mystery-meat in processed, meat-style foods wasn't enough to turn my stomach... This seals the deal

Trust me. If this stuff was sold at the market, most customers would not even notice the difference.

Actually this would probably not affect health-conscious vegetarians, but could cause confusion among compassionate vegetarians since no animal would actually have to be killed over this.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I tried silkworms in Shanghai. They have a street market there where they sell all kinds of crazy stuff, including insects. I thought they were tasty. I tried some other insects too, but I can't recall what they were. Some were good, others not so good. They tasted similar, but it was the amount of "meat" to shell ratio. BTW, you don't swallow the exoskeleton, at least on the insects I tried. Insect shells can be sharp and pointy.

BTW, when I lived in Canada's arctic, I tried muktuk, raw caribou, musk ox, ptarmigan and hare. Raw caribou was delicious. If you like your steaks rare, then I definitely recommend properly prepared frozen raw caribou.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I wonder if you can farm them. I mean, besides under your fridge.

:?)

Just ask the people that are showcased on the show 'Hoarders: Buried Alive'.8O

In all seriousness, it's hard to believe how far down some of those people get.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
i'm sure that the artificial burgers will taste great with the artificial condiments.;)

Last edited: