Don Cherry makes news in America.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Don Cherry's antics are nothing compared to the show you see every year at the end of June in Toronto;-)

All those who are offended by Don Cherry would have thought nothing of a hairy legged flamboyant individual in a dress do the presentation......after all to do so would have been discrimination.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Play-offs of any kind in any sports are nothing but a sham.

You can't have ever played competitive sports if you think this is even close to being true. A team plays mostly division opponents through the season, and if the division is weak you can have a great record without being a very good team. Playoffs are far more intense, both with the schedules, the caliber of the competition, and the pressure.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Don Cherry's antics are nothing to the show you see every year at the end of June in Toronto;-)

Gay people are normal. Rambling about pinkos: That's just embarrassing for whoever is responsible for inviting that into any official place.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Yep. Being gay is perfectly normal, whether that is actually reflected in your pic or not. And again, rambling about like how Cherry did, is just embarrassing.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yep. Being gay is perfectly normal, whether that is actually reflected in your pic or not. And again, rambling about like how Cherry did, is just embarrassing.

Yea, Ford didn't look too hot trying to backpedal after that disaster of a speech.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
With Cherry it's more "look at me" than "listen to me" anyhow....
I have a confession to make. If I didn't come to this message board or pay extra, unnecessary attention while watching hockey, I wouldn't know who Don Cherry was.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Yea, Ford didn't look too hot trying to backpedal after that disaster of a speech.

He went and drowned his sorrows in some cheese burgers and milkshakes.

I have a confession to make. If I didn't come to this message board or pay extra, unnecessary attention while watching hockey, I wouldn't know who Don Cherry was.

I watch hockey on RDS, TSN or live. I don't watch Leaf Night in Canada, haven't for years.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If one wanted to provoke debate on a sports broadcast, inviting Cherry to offer his opinion on fighting in professional hockey would be appropriate. However, inviting the flamboyant broadcaster to introduce a mayor who must serve all the citizens of his city regardless of political bent, who must be conciliatory to work effectively with council, who would want to start off appearing competent and capable of good judgement, well...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Wow, look at that. At the very end he actually says something about the mayor instead of himself.

Methinks someone's got a touch of dementia. That was just a bizarre speech.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
You can't have ever played competitive sports if you think this is even close to being true. A team plays mostly division opponents through the season, and if the division is weak you can have a great record without being a very good team. Playoffs are far more intense, both with the schedules, the caliber of the competition, and the pressure.

I agree with what you're saying. There are players that rack up a ton of points in the regular season yet disappear when the games mean that much more. Joe Thornton and Alexander Ovechkin are just two examples. The regular season is the entree while the post season is the main course. Players don't become professional to win regular season games, they do it so they can win the ultimate prize. Whether that be a World Series, a Stanley Cup, it doesn't make any difference. The true players will step it up in the postseason while the "pretenders" will always find a way to disappear when the games truly matter.

And what I love the most is that anything can happen! True, luck can play a factor, but the truly good teams will be able to persevere from a bad bounce or a missed call. A lot of the regular season dynamos will let that eat at them and the series will be lost. Skill and luck go hand-in-hand. That's always been the case with professional sports. You can't have one without the other.

Look at the San Jose Sharks. How many times did they win the President's Trophy for best regular-season record and end up getting punted in the first round(almost every year, last year was one of the few exceptions) to the 8th seeded team? That was because the 8th seeded team battled and fought to make the postseason and they were more hungry for it while the Sharks would usually coast for the final month of the regular season and end up being less prepared than they should have been. Heck, the winning teams don't even want the President's trophy and refuse to touch it due to superstition. That isn't the trophy they want. They want the Stanley Cup.

My post was a little more full of rambling that I had first intended, but my point still came across.;)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
That's Normal???.....and a pink jacket is far out??? :roll: you gotta be blind or nuts

You and I both know that the majority of gay people do not dress up like that. The ones that usually do are just looking for attention(which they seem to end up getting). The majority of gay people are just like you or I, the only difference being their sexual orientation.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You and I both know that the majority of gay people do not dress up like that. The ones that usually do are just looking for attention(which they seem to end up getting). The majority of gay people are just like you or I, the only difference being their sexual orientation.
Everybody seemed to miss the point that Don Cherry dresses that way for attention too...that's his shtick... It wouldn't be Don Cherry otherwise, if he wasn't loud, extravagant and didn't get people's shorts in a knot.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
God bless Cherry. I love the way he makes the libs all shyt-faced. The next four years are going to be a blast as things finally get done in the city.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Everybody seemed to miss the point that Don Cherry dresses that way for attention too...that's his shtick... It wouldn't be Don Cherry otherwise, if he wasn't loud, extravagant and didn't get people's shorts in a knot.

You seem to be missing the fact that people are mainly addressing what he SAID, not what he wore, even the post that you felt warranted that picture.

And you have to admit DaS, that was off, even for Cherry.