I think that Canada may be a little too "Multicultural"

Herbert

Nov 17, 2010
Australia
Where Christmas is concerned, point your attention to athiests. They are one of the groups making the biggest stink about the celebration of Christ's birth.
That's not true of all atheists by any means. I'm an atheist and I love all the pageantry and traditions of a Christian Christmas. I also think churches are wonderful places. Being a non-believer does not mean hating those who believe in religion, or feeling destructive and negative about all the trappings that go with religion.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I just drove through Taber, Ab tonight. Taber is probably as white, European, Christian as you can get in this country and I would bet that less than 5% of homes have Christmas lights.

All this time I thought that people just didn't want to put up Christmas lights and now I find out it's because of the damned immigrants. The problem is worse than even you think. There's probably only one or two non white, non Christian and non European people in Taber. It truly is amazing the clout they have that two or three people can destroy the Christmas light tradition in Taber. I'm surprised Christmas lights aren't banned in Calgary this year since they elected a non Christian as mayor.

I don't have my Christmas lights up yet, because I've been busy. Can I blame that on smelly ungrateful immigrants, too?

Quite honestly, if the god fearing, white, christian residents of Taber don't have Christmas lights up, I cannot fathom how fear of a few immigrants would be the cause. Unless Alberta is full of pussys who have no faith in their own professed religion.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just drove through Taber, Ab tonight. Taber is probably as white, European, Christian as you can get in this country and I would bet that less than 5% of homes have Christmas lights.

All this time I thought that people just didn't want to put up Christmas lights and now I find out it's because of the damned immigrants. The problem is worse than even you think. There's probably only one or two non white, non Christian and non European people in Taber. It truly is amazing the clout they have that two or three people can destroy the Christmas light tradition in Taber. I'm surprised Christmas lights aren't banned in Calgary this year since they elected a non Christian as mayor.

Whoa, hold on back up, f**k it's only Dec. 5, years ago we never even thought about Xmas until Dec. 15- now it's gotten ridiculous as soon as Hallowe'en is done we're putting up Xmas trees and lights. It's sad how susceptible people are to the corporate brain washing, the only goal in mind being getting money out of your pockets. Not only that but have the whole f*****g world lit up burning energy is contrary to the "Green agenda". Maybe we should be jumping with joy that people in Tabor have their heads screwed on straight.

Is Taber an accurate reflection of Canadian culture, a redneck corn town? Corn towns are usually conscientious about wasting energy, like not keeping unnecessary lights on for decoration for a couple of weeks. Does Canadian culture promote conscientiousness about wasting energy? It does. Sounds like the culture in Taber is consistent with Canadian culture.

Sugar beets, get it right. :lol: I love Rednecks.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
What the hell is "Canadian culture"? Stomping Tom, Celine Dion, This Hour Has Twenty Two Minutes, Little Mosque on the Prairies? What? From my perspective, most of what I see is mindless consumerism and rape and pillage of our natural resources. Our life style is dependent on the subjugation of third world peoples to produce the cheep crap that we demand to have in our shopping malls. We consume hundreds of magazines to learn all the latest chemical concoctions to try to make us look like the movie stars we worship. We are spoon fed our opinions about just about everything from religion and politics to what cereal is best for breakfast. Santa Clause came into being in a Coka Cola commercial. Yup, we sure have improved this country since we stole it from those ignorant savages who did nothing all day but chase their food around till they got a chance to kill it. Yup! We sure have evolved.
+Oh Cliffy
Make up your mind about these natives already.
Are they ignorant savages or a proud race with their own culture?
how is your study of the extinctones,going.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
+Oh Cliffy
Make up your mind about these natives already.
Are they ignorant savages or a proud race with their own culture?
how is your study of the extinctones,going.
You can't tell I was being facetious? The Sinixt will be in BC supreme court in January to try and take their next step toward having their extinct status lifted. As the indigenous people (with at least a 5000 year history in this area according to archaeologists and anthropologists) they are demanding the right to be consulted by government in all resource extraction. In particular, they are trying to get Perrys Ridge in the Slocan Valley set aside as a nature preserve because it is one of the last old growth forest in their territory and is of great cultural and spiritual significance to them.

They have one lawyer who is up against 12 government lawyers. Makes you wonder why the government needs 12 lawyers to fight an extinct people, does it not?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Quite honestly, if the god fearing, white, christian residents of Taber don't have Christmas lights up, I cannot fathom how fear of a few immigrants would be the cause.

It's pretty obvious. The immigrants are able to take down the WTC with little problem so a house in Taber should be very easy. Putting up Christmas lights is like placing a big neon sign on your roof that says " I'm Christian...Kill me!"

I never thought about that until this morning and a new family moved in on my block this week. He is darker than me and has lots of kids. Just to be safe, I'm going to take down my Christmas lights this afternoon and move my tree away from the living room window.

mayety

Nominee Member
Jul 18, 2010
British Columbia
This thread just reminded me of when I did volunteer work for the school system, Canada, in the mid-'90s, with the primary Grades.
The teachers reminded me each Christmas to not use the word "Christmas" because of the variety of children in the classrooms, and the right of some of them to not have it shoved down their throat. (...my words, not those of the teachers')

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
In our neighbourhood, people call Christmas trees, spruce and fir. Should I write the Christian Antidefamation League?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Canadian culture is the way of life that you enjoy every day. If you lived in Iran, you would live in a different culture, and would adapt to a different way of life. In some parts of Europe, you would adapt to having afternoon naps simply because everything shuts down in the early afternoon. Canadian culture is no more defined by contemporary music and television than Iraq.

US lifestyle is dependent upon superiority and subjugation, not Canada. Spoon fed people are most likely not well educated. Coca Cola exploited santa claus with a simple Adobe Illustrator red coke bottle, but it didn't work. Charlie Brown's Christmas cannot be outdone.

And lifestyles are quite different even across Canada. How many British Columbians go to the maple shak each end of winder? How many Edmontonians skate the Rideau Canal to work on some days of the year? While it's not so common even in Ottawa, some do. How many Torontonians are familiar with the Quebec Carnival, and how many Vancouverites with the Montreal Jazz Festival each year? How many Ottawans go hunting Inuit-style in Winter, and how many residents of Iqaluit go to major festivals? And how many Ottawans pedal to work in Winter compared to Victorians and Vancouverites? Yet how many Victorians are into cross-country skiing?

And that just reflects mostly climate and botany. Now if we go into culture, what about rodeos out west, St. Jean Baptiste Celebrations out east, Hallow'een in English-Canada, Pow-wows in some First-Nations' communities?

So really, immigrant culture is not that significant when we consider that a Quebecer would integrate more easily in France than in Toronto unless he's familiar with the culture, just as a Torontonian would integrate more easily in London England than Quebec City. Not so much because of geography, but rather language, culture, music, religion, holidays, festivals, Royal Anthems (Few Quebecers know the Royal Anthem even in French), etc.

If a Quebecer burst out one day singing Gens du Pays, a bunch of strangers from Quebec could easily join in, but you'd likely be standing there totally lost.As for daily life, they don't even speak the same language on TV, radio, newspaper, magazines, restaurants, shops, buses, taxis, government, etc. etc. etc. Some would struggle asking for directions even if sharing a common nationality.

I don't have my Christmas lights up yet, because I've been busy. Can I blame that on smelly ungrateful immigrants, too?

Quite honestly, if the god fearing, white, christian residents of Taber don't have Christmas lights up, I cannot fathom how fear of a few immigrants would be the cause. Unless Alberta is full of pussys who have no faith in their own professed religion.

I don't have my lights up because, well... I don't profess the Christian Faith. Can I blame that on immigrants too?

It's not our way of life that they come here for.

Oh Petros, be clear please. Whose way of life? French Canadians'? English-Canadians'? Algonquis'? Come on, be a little more specific, will you.

This thread just reminded me of when I did volunteer work for the school system, Canada, in the mid-'90s, with the primary Grades.
The teachers reminded me each Christmas to not use the word "Christmas" because of the variety of children in the classrooms, and the right of some of them to not have it shoved down their throat. (...my words, not those of the teachers')

Now that's silly. If a Christian wants to call it Christmas, let him. Likewise if a Muslim wants to talk about 'Id or a Jew Hanukkah, let them too. As long as it's equal for all, I see no issue here. Besides, it opens up children's horizons to different cultures. Why are we censoring educaiton now?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I live in the bush. I have wa-aa-ay too many trees to decorate - and they annoy the bluejays....

Those damned bluejays interfering with Canadian culture are they? Shoot the traitors! And I bet they're illegals in Canada without proper documentation, those immigrant queue-jumpers. Shoot 'em all!

And as for having too many trees, chop down a few and sell 'em to some good household that will decorate them for you.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Those damned bluejays interfering with Canadian culture are they? Shoot the traitors! And I bet they're illegals in Canada without proper documentation, those immigrant queue-jumpers. Shoot 'em all!

And as for having too many trees, chop down a few and sell 'em to some good household that will decorate them for you.
Chop 'em down!?!? Ya jus' can't get this kind of privacy from a Paige-wire fence....

...besides, choppin' an' chainsaws attract tree-huggers.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When I read the war thumpers on CC, I realize the savages won.

Are you sure about that? On a poll in another recent thread over initiating an attack over North Korea, over 50% at this stage have voted either to oppose initiating an attack under any circumstance or at the very least require the attack to be UN-led. If we consider that the UN would lead such an attack only as an absolute last resort after all other options should have failed, this tells me that over half of those who've voted in that poll thus far are not particularly prone to militarism.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'm against dictating how people can dress in public with few exceptions. Unless its a safety issue, like driving a motorcycle while wearing a burka, or health/decency issue like full nudity in a city park without municipal approval... I don't think its anyone's business what people choose to wear. I'm against spouses, religion, Canada's criminal justice system, access to public services... dictating what people can wear.

If a women chooses to wear a burka in public, I support her right to choose. If a husband forces his wife to wear a burka against her will, I still support her right to choose.