Reality: Fact or Fiction

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
When I was about 10yrs old, my oldest sister was taking a philosophy class and the teacher was explaining some of these ideas.

My sister came home and told me that everything I see was only there because I saw it and that they didn't exist if I didn't see them.

I ran hell bent around corners trying to catch a glimpse of stuff appearing. Sadly, I was never able to run fast enough around the corner to watch things appear out of thin air.

This "idea" caused me much grief. My pets were only alive while I was looking at them. My parents were only in the house when I could see them. If I couldn't see them then they couldn't keep me safe because they didn't exist!

I would recommend that nobody share these types of "ideas" with young children. You're doing them no favours!

Or maybe I'd recommend that nobody have big sisters, they're a detriment to smaller childrens mental health! lol

Reactions: El Barto and karrie

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Twila, there is the theory that what we see is only a holographic image of what is inside our minds. Reality is just as you believe it is. We are taught from birth what the people around us believe it is, so what we end up with is called consensual reality - it is a hologram that is collectively agreed upon because we are all indoctrinated into it.

But to base our belief or rejection of our collective reality based on a few sentences is rather silly. Only after reading a few dozen books on related subjects did I start to compare these concepts to my experiences of life. I started to formulate my own views and most of the time I find myself at odds with consensual reality and the folks who create it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Then maybe you could explain why the signals from GPS satellites need relativistic corrections to maintain accuracy.

they don't I guess

Global Positioning System (GPS) and Relativity

The Global Positioning System (GPS) is nowadays considered as the prime example for the everyday importance of Relativity. It is claimed that without the relativistic corrections (which amount to 38 microseconds/day) the error in the determination of the position would accumulate quickly to values much larger then the observed accuracy (Ref.1 , Ref.2).
However, in reality the positions are actually not obtained by comparing the time signal received from the satellite with the receiver time, but by observing the difference between the time signals obtained from a number of different satellites (see the Wikipedia GPS article for details (note that I have linked this now to an older version of the article, as the latest version is not as clear in this respect)). Consider for simplicity a one dimensional problem where the receiver is located somewhere on the line connecting the two transmitters. In this case the signal from transmitter 1 reaches the receiver at time (1) t1 = t0+ x1/c
and the signal from transmitter 2 reaches the receiver at time (2) t2 = t0+ x2/c ,
where t0 is the time the signal is being sent out (assuming both transmitter clocks are synchronized), x1 is the distance of the receiver from transmitter 1, x2 the distance of the receiver from transmitter2, and c the speed of light.
Now if one subtracts Eqs.(1) and (2) one gets (3) x1-x2 = c. [t1-t2].
One knows therefore the position of the receiver just by comparing the time signals from the two transmitters (the receiver clock is completely irrelevant).
If one assumes now that the transmitter clocks are running fast or slow by a relative factor (1+ε), one has instead: (4) x1-x2 = c.[(1+ε).t1 -(1+ε).t2] = c.(1+ε).(t1-t2)
which means that the position will simply be wrong by a relative factor ε, but there is obviously no accumulation as the transmitter clocks run at the same rate relatively to each other (assuming that all satellites have identical heights and speeds, i.e. identical relativistic time dilations). Now the quoted relativistic correction of 38 microseconds/day corresponds to ε=4.4.10-10. As the satellites are at a distance of around 20000 km (=2.109 cm), the positional error due to relativity should actually only be 4.4.10-10 . 2.109 cm = 0.8 cm! This is even much less than the presently claimed accuracy of the GPS of a few meters, so the Relativity effect should actually not be relevant at all!
Thomas Smid (M.Sc. Physics, Ph.D. Astronomy)

THE (NON)USEFUL PRODUCTS OF ASTROPHYSICS Also on his page 4, TB claims that the Global Positioning System requires general relativity for precise computation of transmission delay times of the GPS signals in the gravitational field of Earth. This, he claims, is a useful contribution of astrophysics. However, as with so many of the pronouncements of the astrophysics power structure, there is an alternative explanation. H.F. Fliegel and R. S. DiEsposti of the GPS Joint Program Office of the Aerospace Corporation conclude1 ―Except for the leading γ [gamma] factor [in their final equation], it is the same formula derived in classical physics for the signal travel time from the GPS satellite to the ground station. As we have shown, introducing the γ factor makes a change of only 2 or 3 millimeters to the classical result. In short there are no ‗missing relativity terms.‘ They cancel out.” General Relativity Theory is not needed.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It's all relative. Nothing can be taken out of context. Everything is interconnected and interrelated. Nothing exists in a vacuum. When the ego is quiet, everything is one.

Einsteins relativity and actual relativity are not much related as is being revealed by science. I am one with you and all the other stuff in the agreement I guess.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Wouldn't it be summed up as , perception is reality?
Pulling away from the science of it one can see a story or an event as beautiful while another sees the darkness and ugliness and believe in the reality of what they observe?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The following article I came across this morning. It resonates with how I view reality. Perhaps it will stimulate debate or it may stimulate ridicule. None the less, there it is.

In 1925, a Theoretical Physicist named Dr. Werner Heisenberg developed a theory that has come to be known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. This theory states that an observer influences the outcome of events simply by observing them. In other words, it is only if we expect to see a sub-atomic particle in a specific location that it will exist there.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Bishop George Berkley

In 1968, Dr. Amit Goswami, Ph.D., became a member of the Institute for Theoretical Physics. He is now professor Emeritus of Physics at the University of Oregon, as well as the author of Quantum Mechanics, a university textbook that is used in countries all over the world. If we close our eyes, does the world still exist even though we are not conscious of it? According to Dr. Goswami and a growing number of other physicists around the world, the answer is ‘No’.
If you are walking along gaping at the scenery and suddenly you bash your foot on a rock you had no idea was there, it isn't really there, your toe isn't broken and you feel no pain. Riiiiiight, and I am short, fat, bald, and came from the planet Wznyx.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If you are walking along gaping at the scenery and suddenly you bash your foot on a rock you had no idea was there, it isn't really there, your toe isn't broken and you feel no pain. Riiiiiight, and I am short, fat, bald, and came from the planet Wznyx.
You are talking about consensual reality. Those things happen because it is the generally accepted outcome of such an encounter. And there may be someone out there who will see you as short, fat and bald someday. Some people's perception can be twisted and some can bend the rules of physical reality. It is just programming after all.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You are talking about consensual reality. Those things happen because it is the generally accepted outcome of such an encounter. And there may be someone out there who will see you as short, fat and bald someday. Some people's perception can be twisted and some can bend the rules of physical reality. It is just programming after all.
Well, along with this "censensual reality" comes the realities that follow: realities like molecular density, volume, inertia, potential energy, kinetic energy, electrochemical activity, etc. (it's a huge list) that kinda ties the one lone "consensual reality" to a universe full of realities.
For instance, I have fallen in love a few times and it's really cool to have that kind of reality. But I also know just what that reality consists of and it is nothing mystical even though it may seem miraculous to some.

Oxytocin, chemical addiction and the science of love

Everything else is a result of how our brains interpret what we experience, but that does not make any event we perceive unreal.
I can see that a few people would get to thinking too much and get lost in thoughts long enough to think they really don't exist and stuff, though.

BTW, I am tall for a female, athletically slim, have a full head of hair, and I was born in northern Manitoba. :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How about a VR game where you have a rock dropped on you toe as part of the reality feature. In a VR Boxing match there is a boxing glove attached to a modified jack-hammer that move about at random behind a curtain and all you can see is some pixels on some shutter glasses and suddenly from out of the 'blue' you get the Mike Tyson KO punch that is based on collected data from Mike doing a few sample punches that establish speed and force etc. $5/ pop and nobody takes seconds.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I know. I have seen your pics. I'm short, fat and balding. My reality differs from yours.;-)
Why would it? If we meet and I see you as short, fat, and balding, how is that a different reality? lol

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
How about a VR game where you have a rock dropped on you toe as part of the reality feature. In a VR Boxing match there is a boxing glove attached to a modified jack-hammer that move about at random behind a curtain and all you can see is some pixels on some shutter glasses and suddenly from out of the 'blue' you get the Mike Tyson KO punch that is based on collected data from Mike doing a few sample punches that establish speed and force etc. $5/ pop and nobody takes seconds.
wow Looks like you caught a ride on a river in babble-on.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What does the northern Manitoba part have to do with physical attractiveness?
Nothing, but your question has nothing to do with either nor has it anything to do with why I said I was from northern Manitoba.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Why would it? If we meet and I see you as short, fat, and balding, how is that a different reality? lol
Set up a challenge to see who can get the most phone numbers from strangers in a mall on a Wednesday morning and again on Friday evening. For the old short bald guys the mall is empty every day until they hit the check-out line then all the really, really old ladies get in front to count out those endless pennies. lol