Help me find Sober People

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
By the way, SJP: is the teetotaller lifestyle a left-wing issue or a right-wing issue in your opinion? And what's the Liberal Party's stance on it?

Of course it is a political issue, Machjo. I am fond of my drink, so it follows that anybody who is a teetotaler belongs to the extreme right.

Just kidding. However, the only reason why a person would be a teetotaler, would be religious reason, or back to nature nut. I don’t see any other reason for a person to abstain from alcohol (unless it is for medical reasons).

White being an abstainer does not necessarily denote political persuasion etc., the kind of alcohol one drinks denotes the social class. It is a question of what one can afford. For instance, I wouldn’t conceive of going below Green Label with Johnny Walker. Black Label costs around 35 to 40 $ in the duty free shop (I have no idea what it costs inside Canada). I drink Black Label only occasionally. I never drink Red Label (unless I am offered it at somebody’s house, then I have no choice). Mostly I drink Green Label, Gold Label and Blue Label (Blue Label is a blend, and some of the components in the blend are more than 60 years old).

As to Cognac, I stick to bottles which cost more than 100 $ in the duty free shop. Normally I would look to spending around 200 to 250 $ for two bottles in the duty free shop. Now, upper middle class and rich people tend to be conservative, rather than liberal (usually the poorer a person, the more left wing he is likely to be). So my guess would be that the kind of people who drink like I do tend to be predominantly right wing.

So drinking as such is not a left or right wing issue, but the kind of alcohol one drinks may be. My guess is (and it is purely a guess) is that those who drink expensive stuff tend to be predominantly right wing (I am an exception to the rule).

Erin8

Jun 17, 2009
www.sobermove.com
Thanks for your advice Machjo, this thread seems to have turned into a chatroom for promoting alcohol preferences. Vegetarians are ones I never thought of. I could look into putting posters up in health food stores or organic markets. Thanks again!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Thanks for your advice Machjo, this thread seems to have turned into a chatroom for promoting alcohol preferences. Vegetarians are ones I never thought of. I could look into putting posters up in health food stores or organic markets. Thanks again!

I guess every topic has various ramifications.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quoting petros
Guinness.... brewed with the green isles best bog water. No they don't make seperate batches for export. That's just ridiculous.

That is what I was told, Petros. Maybe he was just kidding. A bit of Irish blarney, perhaps?
It's just fresh. It hasn't sat in a sea can frozen on the deck of a container ship crossing the North Atlantic then a few weeks quarantine in Halifax harbour intermodal then across the country to warehouses by rail and truck moved again to the retailer or pub all while being in an aluminum can or keg.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Just kidding. However, the only reason why a person would be a teetotaler, would be religious reason, or back to nature nut. I don’t see any other reason for a person to abstain from alcohol (unless it is for medical reasons).

SirJoseph,

I am neither. I just don't like the taste of any of it although I might have half a bottle of ice cold beer on a hot day once or twice a year. Not everything is cut and dry, black and white. There are as many reason for or against anything as there are people.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

SirJoseph,

I am neither. I just don't like the taste of any of it although I might have half a bottle of ice cold beer on a hot day once or twice a year. Not everything is cut and dry, black and white. There are as many reason for or against anything as there are people.

I think there's a third valid reason- lack of money.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
White being an abstainer does not necessarily denote political persuasion etc., the kind of alcohol one drinks denotes the social class. It is a question of what one can afford. For instance, I wouldn’t conceive of going below Green Label with Johnny Walker. Black Label costs around 35 to 40 $ in the duty free shop (I have no idea what it costs inside Canada). I drink Black Label only occasionally. I never drink Red Label (unless I am offered it at somebody’s house, then I have no choice). Mostly I drink Green Label, Gold Label and Blue Label (Blue Label is a blend, and some of the components in the blend are more than 60 years old).

I've met wealthy teetotallers. What class does that make them besides the teetotaller class?

As to Cognac, I stick to bottles which cost more than 100 $ in the duty free shop. Normally I would look to spending around 200 to 250 $ for two bottles in the duty free shop. Now, upper middle class and rich people tend to be conservative, rather than liberal (usually the poorer a person, the more left wing he is likely to be). So my guess would be that the kind of people who drink like I do tend to be predominantly right wing.

As for reasons to choose the teetotaller lifestyle, there can be religious, medical, and simple health reasons, respect for one's mind and body.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

No problem. Having gone from a non-religious teetotaller to a religious one, I have experience in both lifestyles. It's surprising how many drinkers so quickly assume that only the religious are teetotallers.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

SirJoseph,

That's about the limit to my alcohol consumption. After not having any for years and eating good with minimal processing or additives, my body now horribly rejects factory or large batch malt bevies or liquors. More than two can sometimes be very painful and cause muscle cramping. Ah well. No loss.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A fourth ... I don't like what it does to people. I have more respect for myself.

That was my initial reason too. And understanding of what it does to the mind in the long-run. Add to that that with health care being a public service, we thus have a responsibility towards society to take care of our health. But even if it were private health care, then we'd still have a responsibility to ourselves. And if religious, then to God too.So no matter how we slice it, it's also a matter of responsibilities.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That's about the limit to my alcohol consumption. After not having any for years and eating good with minimal processing or additives, my body now horribly rejects factory or large batch malt bevies or liquors. More than two can sometimes be very painful and cause muscle cramping. Ah well. No loss.

Good point, Petro. I'd found that as a vegetarian, I got hit harder by alcohol too, likely because there's no meat fibre in the stomach to absorb it? My unproven theory there.

Anyway, I was also a secular vegetarian before becoming a religious one too. Another thing not necessarily related to religion, just plain compassion.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
SJP said "However, the only reason why a person would be a teetotaler, would be religious reason, or back to nature nut. I don’t see any other reason for a person to abstain from alcohol (unless it is for medical reasons)."
You never cease to amaze me with some of your comments. You don't see any other reason for a person not to drink? How about just not caring to. Some of my friends and I don't drink, Not for medical or religious reasons or any other reason you dream up. We are not 'nature nuts' either. We just don't care to drink.
You sound like a drunk.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
SJP said "However, the only reason why a person would be a teetotaler, would be religious reason, or back to nature nut. I don’t see any other reason for a person to abstain from alcohol (unless it is for medical reasons)."
You never cease to amaze me with some of your comments. You don't see any other reason for a person not to drink? How about just not caring to. Some of my friends and I don't drink, Not for medical or religious reasons or any other reason you dream up. We are not 'nature nuts' either. We just don't care to drink.
You sound like a drunk.

Well, of course- I have to watch it or I could be a hypocrite (I still drink on very rare occasions), but "just not caring to" is a good reason for me 99% of the time. Also it could be just because I'm content with who I am.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
As for reasons to choose the teetotaller lifestyle, there can be religious, medical, and simple health reasons, respect for one's mind and body.

Machjo, I appreciate that there may be many reasons why somebody may not drink. However, I don’t see any health reasons not to drink (unless one is in poor health). There are some experts who say that having one drink a day may be actually beneficial for you.

In this respect drinking is totally different from smoking. Smoking is harmful from the first puff of the first cigarette. But there is evidence to suggest that moderate drinking (say, one drink a day) doesn’t do nay harm, and may actually be beneficial.