Farmer Shoots at Thief

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If he had time to get and load a weapon he had time to pick up a phone and dial 9-11.
:roll: We had a burglar here stealing stuff one time. (He's lucky I wasn't home). But anyway, we did call the cops and they didn't even bother to show up tioll 3 days later. We live a half hour away from the detachment. We thought the next time we'll try 911 and tell them something drastic is happening like a homicide. A friend of mine, who is a cop, told me that I'd be charged with making a false report. Lovely, isn't it? Now we think if there is someone stealing stuff from here, his ass will be pumped full of salt from the 12 gauge.
BTW, we keep a loaded weapon beside the door. (The kids are grown and gone). If some cat or bear is raiding a source of your income or decides that your kitchen smells tasty, you gonna call the cops or the CO? And I don't give a damn about the Glibs' moronic gun laws.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
OK here is what I read into this..

For one this story is fishy at best from the start.. Why would 3 people want an ATV from this framer who refuses to call the police and takes matters into his own hands ? My first impression is that he knew or thought he knew these guys, hence he owed people for something, and didn't want the police involved..

If I was alone and even had a gun I would not take off after 3 people not knowing if they had guns themselves unless I had something to hide and didn't want the law involved. Endangering others that could be in the area while doing so is a darn good reason for the police to go after him for added charges. If the thieves only took the vehicle, they can only be charged for the one crime. However the farmer could have outstanding issues that we are not aware of that led to this whole fiasco and his own demise..
You must have really different cops than we do here. We reported stolen stuff and it took the cops 3 days to come out and all they did was take a statement. No fingerprinting or anything.
Ed, retired teacher down the road, came home and found his 4wheeler missing. It took the cops 2 days to show up. Might as well not even have cops to look after rural areas.
"Al from Hell" was stealing people's cars around here. He'd steal one and go joy ride for a while and then crash the thing. He'd been doing it for a couple weeks and in spite of people telling the cops who was stealing the vehicles, it wasn't till he stole a brand new Dodge Ram while drunk and run it into the ditch near alocal store that the cops finally caught him. They happened to be in the cafe nearby having lunch.
Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of cops I respect but I think there's a variety of reasons why they aren't quick at showing up.
I was at work one time when we lived in Kelowna and it was nightshift. My wife was woken up by loud voices. She opened the window and this drunk was verbally abusing his gf. She shouted she was calling the cops and then did so. The argument went on for 10 or 15 minutes then the girlpushed the idiot over a fence and went into her apartment. The cops showed up 40 to 45 minutes after my wife called them. By the time they got there, the argument could have escalated and the girl might have been beaten to death for all my wife knew. She gave the cops supreme scat and called the night commander about it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A cop asked a friend who lives in a remote community if he thought it would be useful if the police occasionally came out to patrol the area. My friend said no, they didn't need the police because they had a very good neighbourhood watch program they had developed, and besides they never had repeat offenders. The cop asked why that was. My friend said, "because we own backhoes". Bury the evidence deep and fast. Nobody to sue you and chances of the law finding out are pretty slim.

Wounding someone is just plain stupid.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No that's not right JLM. The farmer has a bunch of charges against him now. Cheaper for the tax payer? In what way. The farmer will probably go to jail. Like it or not, agree with it or not, he still tried to kill someone because he is guilty of shooting at the man who stole his property. I'm not sure but I think if the guy had broken into his house and he felt his life was threatened, he could have gotten away with murder. In this case, he pursued the man and then after running him off the road, he shot him (or shot him running him off the road or whatever). No matter what, he went after the thief, and they may even see that forcing him off the road was a way of attempting to kill him along with the fact that he shot at the guy. Sadly, they are probably going to make a example out of the farmer so that no one else tries it in the future. In the eyes of the law - the farmer is guilty. The other guys will simply be charged with theft and it won't even be much of a charge. How will the farmer care for his farm now? It's all wrong no matter how you slice it.

O.k. I guess I'm just automatically on the side of the working man, but I guess we have to show a little compassion in this day and age when there are so many troubled people. Sure hope the judge can see it from the farmer's point of view.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A cop asked a friend who lives in a remote community if he thought it would be useful if the police occasionally came out to patrol the area. My friend said no, they didn't need the police because they had a very good neighbourhood watch program they had developed, and besides they never had repeat offenders. The cop asked why that was. My friend said, "because we own backhoes". Bury the evidence deep and fast. Nobody to sue you and chances of the law finding out are pretty slim.

Wounding someone is just plain stupid.

I like it, Cliff.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
From: Alta. premier empathizes with accused vigilante farmer

Alta. premier empathizes with accused vigilante farmer

'I can certainly feel the frustration of the owner'

By Renata D'Aliesio, Calgary HeraldApril 3, 2009

EDMONTON — Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach said Friday he empathizes with an
Alberta farmer accused of chasing down and shooting a man who allegedly stole the
farmer's all-terrain vehicle.

The premier said he understands why residents in farmer Brian Knight's central
Alberta community of Clive are rallying behind him and have set up a trust fund to
aid his legal defence.

The RCMP have charged Knight, 38, with criminal negligence causing bodily harm,
assault and dangerous driving. Police allege Knight chased the thief off his land,
rammed the stolen all-terrain vehicle he was on into a ditch, and shot him with a
shotgun as he tried to run away.

He's also accused of gathering a posse to track the wounded man before calling
police.

"I can certainly feel the frustration of the owner," Stelmach said in Calgary on
Friday, "and that's why we're moving very quickly with the Solicitor General Alison
Redford (sic) and of course with Fred Lindsay, who's in charge of the policing, to
put more police on the streets. 8O

"But the other thing is once they're charged, that we keep them in jail and they
pay the appropriate penalty for property crimes and (we're) also talking about bail
reform."

Redford is, in fact, the justice minister. Lindsay is solicitor general.

Stelmach said he "wouldn't mind making more comments," before noting the case
is before the court. The premier did not answer questions on whether he thinks
the farmer was within his rights to fire his shotgun.

The premier suggested Albertans are frustrated with crime, no matter what the
statistics say. Stelmach's own rural house was broken into last year.

"It is a sense of frustration, although statistically property crimes are down. That
doesn't mean that if it happens to you — statistics don't mean a thing," Stelmach
said.

"And that's why I'm sure that the community is rallying behind the gentleman."

Clive is about 140 kilometres south of Edmonton.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No matter what, he went after the thief, and they may even see that forcing him off the road was a way of attempting to kill him along with the fact that he shot at the guy. Sadly, they are probably going to make a example out of the farmer so that no one else tries it in the future. In the eyes of the law - the farmer is guilty.
If they didn't make an example of him there would be a free for all and innocent people dieing left right and center. You wouldn't want to get shot through your wall while watching TV because you nervous neighbour heard something, fired blindly in the dark and blew a hole in your home and yourself would you? It happens and it happens a lot in the US. More innocents die than criminals from people who own weapons but don't know how to use them under extreme fear and panic.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He's also accused of gathering a posse to track the wounded man before calling
police.
His intent was to kill rather than protect his quad. He is damn lucky his charges are so light.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
From: Colby Cosh: No thief, no cops, no lawyers, no problem - Full Comment

Several people have heard the story of farmer Brian Knight — who shot and
captured a thief who stole his all-terrain vehicle — and responded with a sneering,
“Only in Alberta.” I would like to repeat this message, so that the actions of Mr.
Knight in defending his property can help protect mine, too.

So pay attention, thieves: Only in Alberta are homeowners armed, and ready to
shoot straight. Only in Alberta will you find a whole community closing in on you if
you try to steal the equipment of a family business. Only in Alberta are we not
content to sit quietly and wait for the police to arrive and copy serial numbers. You
are much safer plying your trade elsewhere. Preferably in one of those places
where the nice people would think it barbaric to shoot you.

Brian Knight, 38, runs a farm near the hamlet of Tees, east of Lacombe; its rodeo
venue is home to an annual donkey and mule show. Last Wednesday morning,
Knight heard some noise and confronted three men outside his home. Two made
the smart choice to hop into their truck and vamoose, but the third, hoping not to
leave empty-handed, had jumped on a nearby four-wheel ATV and sped off on it.
Knight got in his own truck, chased down the stranger on his ATV, and rammed it
off the road. When the suspect fled, Knight fired a shotgun at him. No details of
the ammunition have been provided, but buckshot or road salt would be good
guesses; in any case, it amounted to distinctly less lethal force than a policeman
might have used in the same circumstances. (No word on whether any staplers
were found on the perpetrator.)

The lightly injured thief kept running, but was eventually rounded up by Knight’s
neighbours and kin. In a moment of deranged inspiration, he even tried to make
off with another truck in which he was left to bleed while the cops were called.

Knight now faces seven criminal charges, including assault, criminal negligence
causing bodily harm and dangerous driving. The thief was taken to Edmonton,
bandaged up and released by police without bail after being charged. The RCMP will
not name him, but a local spokesman warned: “Don’t take the law into your own
hands. Contact the police as soon as possible, because all you’re going to do is
get yourself into trouble.”

Perhaps only in Alberta do people still understand that this is nonsense — that the
police’s privilege of investigating and punishing crime is derived from our primary
right of self-defence, which we delegate but do not abandon, and that property is
an extension of ourselves, and may be defended in the same way and for the same
reasons we are allowed to defend our persons. No RCMP officer is transferred to an
aboriginal community without abundant cultural-sensitivity training. Maybe
something similar, perhaps involving a careful reading of John Locke’s philosophy,
should be done before assigning them to the Alberta countryside. (If Mr. Knight is
found guilty, do you suppose he will get the benefit of a “sentencing circle”
made up of other farmers from around Tees?)

The RCMP sergeant’s schoolmarmish lecture will probably do as much to inflame
local anger as the charges against Knight, which have ignited a prairie fire on
Alberta talk radio. Farmers who live far from the nearest RCMP detachment know
that, in practice, the law really is in their own hands. If they don’t act to protect
the expensive equipment they use to earn a livelihood, they will be at the mercy of
professional predators. At stake here is the very possibility of a safe, productive
rural life. Whatever the RCMP’s view of Knight’s actions, the insurance companies
who serve the area should feel perpetual shame if they let this man face a judge
without displaying a gold medal struck at their expense.

And let us remember that deterrence cuts both ways. The RCMP might not be
afraid to discourage self-defence, but they should be afraid of inadvertently
encouraging farmers to deal with thieves by following a shotgun blast with a coup
de grâce. Brian Knight (for whom donations are being accepted at
brianknightlegalfund.com) willingly invited the “trouble” he is now getting from the
Mounties by calling them in on his citizen’s arrest. This is not vigilantism, though
some semi-literate reporters have reserved desk space in Hell by using that term. A
vigilante would have fed a thief to the pigs, or dressed him in chains and cinder
blocks and taken him for a swim in Buffalo Lake. No cops, no lawyers, no problem.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
but buckshot or road salt would be good guesses;
Buckshot is the size of a marble and extremely lethal and in no way similar to salt. The person who wrote this has probably never fired anything beyond a cap gun. This is what I mean about people who don't know anything about weapons owning them. It scares me.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Buckshot is the size of a marble and extremely lethal and in no way similar to salt. The person who wrote this has probably never fired anything beyond a cap gun. This is what I mean about people who don't know anything about weapons owning them. It scares me.

LOL...very good point...I'd assume he meant birdshot....but that's a very big mistake. :lol:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This one shows some local colour, and frustration: locals stand by farmer charged with shooting would-be thief

Sometimes in farming country, in the fields between Bashaw and Clive, the only
things worth stealing are the things outdoors.

Pickup trucks, snowmobiles, 4x4s and tractors:On a farm, that's capital, hard-
earned cash. And if someone tries to steal them--well, locals say farmers have a
right to stop them, anyway they can.

Unfortunately, that's not a view shared by the RCMP.

Brian Knight, 38, faces seven serious charges, including criminal negligence causing
bodily harm, assault and dangerous driving.

But if you ask the people in Bashaw or Clive, the only thing he deserves is a medal.

"Call the cops, they'll show up an hour later, ask you to fill out a form," said Wade
Bleakley, who lives seven kilometres "that way"out of Bashaw. Police are quick to
point out that the alleged thief faces charges, too. And not everyone in town is so
quick to praise the vigilante justice.

"Would you not just let him go and call the cops?" asked Lezlie Painter in Bashaw.
"Isn't that the normal thing to do?"But Painter is in the minority. And even her
solution is not exactly peaceable.

"I think everyone should have a big vicious dog," she said.

"There's going to be a lot of people upset," if Knight goes to jail, said Bleakley.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If they didn't make an example of him there would be a free for all and innocent people dieing left right and center. You wouldn't want to get shot through your wall while watching TV because you nervous neighbour heard something, fired blindly in the dark and blew a hole in your home and yourself would you? It happens and it happens a lot in the US. More innocents die than criminals from people who own weapons but don't know how to use them under extreme fear and panic.
If I shoot at something and actually hit a neighbor, the round would literally have to go climb over two hills and through a minimum of 150 meters of fairly dense wooded areas.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

well....not to split hairs......well, okay, yes to split hairs....

00 Buck (by far the most common buckshot, and almost the largest) is .33 inch in diameter, much much smaller than a marble.

But yes, lethal as hell.