Farmer Shoots at Thief

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
L Gilbert just the sound of a shotgun will put a rapid end to someone trying to steeal something on your property. There is no need to aim it anyone to get that effect. Aiming had one purpose and one purpose only. To fataly wound.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
well....not to split hairs......well, okay, yes to split hairs....

00 Buck (by far the most common buckshot, and almost the largest) is .33 inch in diameter, much much smaller than a marble.

But yes, lethal as hell.
Um "double ought" buck it actually 0.18" in diameter. There is "triple ought" ().19" in diameter), T, double T, F, and Double F (0.23" in diameter).

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
L Gilbert just the sound of a shotgun will put a rapid end to someone trying to steeal something on your property. There is no need to aim it anyone to get that effect. Aiming had one purpose and one purpose only. To fataly wound.

Never, ever fire warning shots.

I used to train guards in armed self-defence.......and the proper ideology is this: there is only one reason to shoot, and that is to stop the actions of your assailant. Warning shots are simply not done.

1. Warning shots are usually unaimed, and are therefore a danger to any innocent bystander in the area.

2. A warning shot lowers the number of rounds you have immediately available by one.......which you might need if things gert really nasty.

3. In the dark, with a shotgun, a warning shot deafens and blinds you, making you less capable of dealing with the real threats....

Any shots fired should be directed centre mass.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yep. The guy scoots at the sound of my slide. Then he waits till I go to the neighbors for coffee and buggers off with stuff, maybe even one of my dogs.
If I aim to git the creep it isn't to fatally wound. I want the creep to suffer and have something to think about, I will hit the creep and I doubt the silly idiot would be back to get another round of salt in his backside.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Secure everything? Yep. Going to spend $20,000 to turn my barn into fort knox so the thief who doesn't know I have stuff in there to steal won't be able to break in and steal the stuff. Brilliant! People steal cattle. How do you secure a couple hundred head of cattle from being absconded with and yet leave them enough freedom to graze?
Dogs who bite people get put down around here. 2 weeks in confinement. lmao Dogs are ok if the perps are afraid of them. Unless you have a pack of 3 or more dogs, one single person is more than a match for most mutts, especially if armed with a knife or a hefty stick.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

I doubt that. A great number of farmers are as good as snipers. Ever got a fox in full flight at three hundred feet? I believe the shot was to slow him down.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
$20K for padlocks and window bars? Wow. Home Hadware is getting ridiculous in their prices.

Petros....I understand where you're coming from (in North Central),
but you & I have the advantage of many sets of eyes in a small
geographical area...even if many of them might want to steal your
flower pot or block heater cord...others would be watching or might
notice the noise made when someone is pealing the bars off your
windows or smashing off your padlocks. A steering wheel club will
not stop a thief that wants your car, but it'll slow him down and might
force him to make noise that'll attract attention, and that's a deterrent
if the geography permits people to hear and see the theft taking place.

Les and many others simply do not have that advantage. With upwards
of an hour or more for an RCMP response time, a padlock takes a few
minutes out of a thief's time, and not much more of a deterrent than that.
Again, I'm not condoning what Brian Knight did, but I sure do understand
why he did what he did.

I've had several cars broken into, and two different garages at two different
places in the core broken into twice...each, and my home broken into once
though that one ended as well as I could have hoped for. I lost much more
than a flower pot & a block heater cord every time except for the B&E on
my house. Home owners insurance is great if your house burns down, but
not for repeated claims & deductibles & increased premiums....it's just not
worth claiming a bicycle one time and a BBQ another and then a couple of
hundred bucks worth of tools in four more separate garage break ins...I'm
saving my claims for a neighbours tree falling through my home or something
along those lines.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
$20K for padlocks and window bars? Wow. Home Hadware is getting ridiculous in their prices.
Idiotic comment. My barn is big. It is skinned with 1" lumber nailed from the outside. Lumber isn't cheap, even in a heavily wooded region (thanks to unions and gov'ts). Besides, thieves know about padlocks and that boltcutters and cutting equipment dispenses easily with them.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
According to the letter of the law, this guy was WAY out of line.

But I have some sympathy for defending your property......there is too little fight in us now-a-days, off the ice, anyway.

My advice to this guy? Elect trial by judge and jury, and pray someone on the jury knows that under the basic premises of English Common Law the jury can legitimately ignore the judge's instructions and find him "not guilty" despite the letter of the law.

It is called jury nullification.

It happened here, when an elderly gentleman in Sussex was continually victimized by a certain group of individuals, who broke into outbuildings on his property and stole basically at will....finally, he lost it and fired at their fleeing vehicle with a .308 rifle, killing one.

Trial by judge and jury....."not guilty", although obviously he did pull the trigger, he admitted it.......in fact, he had told the RCMP he was going to shoot them if they robbed him again.

That is the first I ever heard of this. I guess you learn something new every day.

I cannot imagine what the elderly fellow was going through. Knowing that it was only a matter of time before the punks victimized you again. After this, I would hope the punks learned that he was not going to be a victim any longer.

I haven't read any further into this thread yet, but if it is not posted in here could you either post the story or put a link to it Colpy?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Idiotic comment. My barn is big. It is skinned with 1" lumber nailed from the outside. Lumber isn't cheap, even in a heavily wooded region (thanks to unions and gov'ts). Besides, thieves know about padlocks and that boltcutters and cutting equipment dispenses easily with them.
Beisdes that, I think it's an idiotic comment that I put window bars and padlocks on my wife's and my trucks.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
From: Alta. premier empathizes with accused vigilante farmer

Alta. premier empathizes with accused vigilante farmer

'I can certainly feel the frustration of the owner'

By Renata D'Aliesio, Calgary HeraldApril 3, 2009

EDMONTON — Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach said Friday he empathizes with an
Alberta farmer accused of chasing down and shooting a man who allegedly stole the
farmer's all-terrain vehicle.

The premier said he understands why residents in farmer Brian Knight's central
Alberta community of Clive are rallying behind him and have set up a trust fund to
aid his legal defence.

The RCMP have charged Knight, 38, with criminal negligence causing bodily harm,
assault and dangerous driving. Police allege Knight chased the thief off his land,
rammed the stolen all-terrain vehicle he was on into a ditch, and shot him with a
shotgun as he tried to run away.

He's also accused of gathering a posse to track the wounded man before calling
police.

"I can certainly feel the frustration of the owner," Stelmach said in Calgary on
Friday, "and that's why we're moving very quickly with the Solicitor General Alison
Redford (sic) and of course with Fred Lindsay, who's in charge of the policing, to
put more police on the streets. 8O

"But the other thing is once they're charged, that we keep them in jail and they
pay the appropriate penalty for property crimes and (we're) also talking about bail
reform."

Redford is, in fact, the justice minister. Lindsay is solicitor general.

Stelmach said he "wouldn't mind making more comments," before noting the case
is before the court. The premier did not answer questions on whether he thinks
the farmer was within his rights to fire his shotgun.

The premier suggested Albertans are frustrated with crime, no matter what the
statistics say. Stelmach's own rural house was broken into last year.

"It is a sense of frustration, although statistically property crimes are down. That
doesn't mean that if it happens to you — statistics don't mean a thing," Stelmach
said.

"And that's why I'm sure that the community is rallying behind the gentleman."

Clive is about 140 kilometres south of Edmonton.
Is this an election year for you? I know ours is up in a couple of weeks or so. All that Stelmach has to say is bull. He wants more police on the streets. Ha! Doesn't everyone even though they are the most mocked subject on these forums. Detachment Commanders go to meetings at City Hall in their cities and they present their reasons for more members to be added to their particular city. The cities pay the lion's share for policing - not the government. If they need 6 officers they will probably ask for 8 and the city will agree to 2. Take a look at the statistics on how many members have been killed in rural areas over the past 5 or so years and you might understand why they take so long to attend. If you have a 2 - 3 man detachment, one might be on holidays and one might be on days off so in essence, you have a one man detachment. (S)He doesn't have any backup and could be arriving to anything.
They can be foolish enough to gather all the money they want for his defence but it won't matter and it's highly un-likely his insurance is going to pay him anything on his ATV since he's the one who rammed it. Probably the same for the truck he rammed it with. As Petros said - this guy's plan was to kill. Playing Sheriff with a posse. I guess he should have saddled a horse. I realize that people living in rural areas feel they should have the right to protect their property but you have to realize that laws are laws. You have made the choice to live out in an area that is not policed well. Even areas that are policed well so to speak are short on staff so response time is not what it should be. You have all read that the RCMP alone wants to hire another 2000 members. Wonder how many the City police want to hire!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Do some digging on the old guy in Sussex NB, his story is interesting.

Retired N.B. man acquitted after killing would-be burglar

He actually killed the thief.

Having just read the Sussex story, I see that there is one major difference. The man in Sussex did not know that he was shooting at anyone, while the farmer knew that he was shooting at a person. That in itself may result in a different verdict towards him.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Do some digging on the old guy in Sussex NB, his story is interesting.

Retired N.B. man acquitted after killing would-be burglar

He actually killed the thief.
Yes but he didn't get in a vehicle and chase after them, after calling his neighbours for help plus he has a dis-abled wife in the house to protect as well. He didn't leave his house to kill someone, he went out to shoot out the tires and killed someone in the process.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Is this an election year for you? I know ours is up in a couple of weeks or so. All that Stelmach has to say is bull. He wants more police on the streets. Ha! Doesn't everyone even though they are the most mocked subject on these forums. Detachment Commanders go to meetings at City Hall in their cities and they present their reasons for more members to be added to their particular city. The cities pay the lion's share for policing - not the government. If they need 6 officers they will probably ask for 8 and the city will agree to 2. Take a look at the statistics on how many members have been killed in rural areas over the past 5 or so years and you might understand why they take so long to attend. If you have a 2 - 3 man detachment, one might be on holidays and one might be on days off so in essence, you have a one man detachment. (S)He doesn't have any backup and could be arriving to anything.
They can be foolish enough to gather all the money they want for his defence but it won't matter and it's highly un-likely his insurance is going to pay him anything on his ATV since he's the one who rammed it. Probably the same for the truck he rammed it with. As Petros said - this guy's plan was to kill. Playing Sheriff with a posse. I guess he should have saddled a horse. I realize that people living in rural areas feel they should have the right to protect their property but you have to realize that laws are laws. You have made the choice to live out in an area that is not policed well. Even areas that are policed well so to speak are short on staff so response time is not what it should be. You have all read that the RCMP alone wants to hire another 2000 members. Wonder how many the City police want to hire!
Living in this rural area for some is NOT a choice. For our own sanity we moved here. Perhaps you can handle the foul air, constant crime, food from plastic, noise, etc. but not everyone is built like you. Just where do you think most food comes from? Cities? Someone has to grow it and do that in high quantity. You want cranberry juice? Try growing those in a city. Spuds? Fish?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Having just read the Sussex story, I see that there is one major difference. The man in Sussex did not know that he was shooting at anyone, while the farmer knew that he was shooting at a person. That in itself may result in a different verdict towards him.
The Sussex guy thought the vehicle was beetling down the road by itself and there was no-one in it? Awesome