How will Stephen Harper Spank Danny Williams over that "ABC" thing???

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I see your point Ron. And like a good PC supporter, you want to see revenge enacted against NL for their part in not electing a majority government at this time. Hey, lets send in the troops! Go figure, a politician like Danny Williams shows some intestinal fortitude, sticks to his principles and beliefs, and gets a boot to the nuts for standing up for his province. He didn't toe the party line, so what?

The question still stands: What do we do when a province like NL has no representative in parliment?

Harper might want to keep it cool against Newfoundland. He might need that one or two seats next election.

You're missing the point - the people of NL were the ones who voted. They decided that they did not want to elect any Conservatives. It was not Danny Williams who cast the votes, it was the people of Newfoundland and Labrador.

If the people did not want to have any elected members in the Government, far be it from the rest of us to force one on them.

If the tables were turned, and they had voted in all Conservatives, would we be worrying that they didn't have a provincial voice in Opposition? The people of Newfoundland and Labrador have spoken, and they've achieved what they wanted.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
You're missing the point - the people of NL were the ones who voted. They decided that they did not want to elect any Conservatives. It was not Danny Williams who cast the votes, it was the people of Newfoundland and Labrador.

If the people did not want to have any elected members in the Government, far be it from the rest of us to force one on them.

If the tables were turned, and they had voted in all Conservatives, would we be worrying that they didn't have a provincial voice in Opposition? The people of Newfoundland and Labrador have spoken, and they've achieved what they wanted.

Sorry, I didn't miss that point at all. I agree, the population of the province spoke loud and clear. Are you saying because the province voted this way they should be chastised by the feds? Sounds rather childish.

If I follow your train of thought further, in order to ensure a voice in parliament you have to hold your nose and vote in a representative from the governing party, even though you detest that party's platform? Doesn't seem democratic to me.

It seems we will have a member representing the province...Peter MacKay from Nova Scotia. Still can't wrap my head around that one.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I dont think Harper will spank Danny Williams or for that matter the people of Newfoundland.
I dont think Harper thinks about Danny Williams at all.

That would be more the old Jean "Switchblade" Chretien's style.

Harper could be vindictive but he has far more pressing issues on his plate.
And frankly there is a huge difference between being the PM and being one of many Premier's,
and one from a somewhat irrelevant province at that.
(no offence ment to the folks on the right coast).
The only Premier's that really matter in this confederation are McGinty and Charest.
Harper would like to upset McGinty's apple cart however after that ridiculus spectacle between McGinty and Flaherty we have to assume he knows better now.

I think Harper does have a long memory.
No birthday cards for Danny boy.
No congratulations on his successes.
No phone calls to haggle tactics or advice on maritime issues.
Probably no communication whatsoever.
As others have said, " the people of Newfoundland chose not to elect any PC's".
So they chose not to have a seat at the table.
And that is right where Harper will leave them.
They will get their fair share of what is rightfully due.
And that about covers it.

Mulk

The other white liquid
Oct 24, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

I am sure Harper wished that his time as PM was at a diferent economic time....
Harper doesn’t have the power to spank Danny Williams; he may isolate Danny Williams in an attempt to get even, but that will back fire on Harper come election time…..
... What will the conservatives loose seats in NL? Oh wait, the stupid newfies didn't elect anyone into government. They are stuffed so far up Danny Williams ass they can't see what's good for them. I hope Harper teaches them a lesson.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
... What will the conservatives loose seats in NL? Oh wait, the stupid newfies didn't elect anyone into government. They are stuffed so far up Danny Williams ass they can't see what's good for them. I hope Harper teaches them a lesson.

So if you don't vote someone into goverment you should be punished?

Nice logic comrade.:roll:

Mulk

The other white liquid
Oct 24, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
So if you don't vote someone into goverment you should be punished?

Nice logic comrade.:roll:

Well when they show up at the table with their hands out or wanting input into the decision making process should they really get a say. An orchestrated campaign by the leader of the province to single out a specific party has led them to this. Should they be rewarded for voting ABC????

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Well when they show up at the table with their hands out or wanting input into the decision making process should they really get a say. An orchestrated campaign by the leader of the province to single out a specific party has led them to this. Should they be rewarded for voting ABC????

Like I said, if some people don't vote for the party in power does that leave them out, perhaps the government should close all the federal hwys to show them who's the boss, perhaps they will fall in line the next time. Or we could send out the SS and rough them up a bit until they vote and support the party line.

They still pay federal tax and are still part of confederation you know. you should really refresh your memory and look up the word democracy, I know cons sometimes have issues with it but it's still the law unless of course you and the brown shirts get their way.:roll:

Mulk

The other white liquid
Oct 24, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Like I said, if some people don't vote for the party in power does that leave them out, perhaps the government should close all the federal hwys to show them who's the boss, perhaps they will fall in line the next time. Or we could send out the SS and rough them up a bit until they vote and support the party line.

They still pay federal tax and are still part of confederation you know. you should really refresh your memory and look up the word democracy, I know cans sometimes have issues with it but it's still the law unless of course you and the brown shirts get their way.:roll:

I was a bit harsh in my initial posts ( I will admit that) but Danny Williams is a very influential leader and he organized his followers to vote strategically against the government / conservatives. If Danny Williams is so interested in the federal election perhaps he should run for a Federal Position.

At the end of the day, Danny Williams should have stayed back out of the fray and let the people decide for themselves based on the merits of their individual candidates.

I only have a few brown shirts BTW

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I was a bit harsh in my initial posts ( I will admit that) but Danny Williams is a very influential leader and he organized his followers to vote strategically against the government / conservatives. If Danny Williams is so interested in the federal election perhaps he should run for a Federal Position.

At the end of the day, Danny Williams should have stayed back out of the fray and let the people decide for themselves based on the merits of their individual candidates.

I only have a few brown shirts BTW

Tell me, do you even know why Danny Williams was upset?

If Harper punishes NFLDers he is a petty moron and shoud be turfed for acting like the USSR.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

I seem to remember the Alberta Premier doing damn near the same thing during a federal election. Difference was....Ralphy was an alcoholic clown.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It strikes me as a 'side of the fence' issue. It's an affront if someone does it against your party, it's ballsy and brave if someone does it against the party you hate.

Mulk

The other white liquid
Oct 24, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Tell me, do you even know why Danny Williams was upset?

If Harper punishes NFLDers he is a petty moron and shoud be turfed for acting like the USSR.

Among other things it was the decision to include resources from Oil & Gas into equalization calculations. At the end of the day the Prime Minister has to do what is right for the country; if that included changes to the way that equalization is calculated despite that resulting from a region now being classified as have v.s. have not then so be it.

The PM won't do anything to get back at NL. I'm just pissed at Williams for his stepping into the fray.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Among other things it was the decision to include resources from Oil & Gas into equalization calculations. At the end of the day the Prime Minister has to do what is right for the country; if that included changes to the way that equalization is calculated despite that resulting from a region now being classified as have v.s. have not then so be it.

The PM won't do anything to get back at NL. I'm just pissed at Williams for his stepping into the fray.

So... you would have no problem with the feds doing the same thing with Alberta?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
In years past when the Liberals were in government, Alberta was left out. Hell Trudeau raped and pillaged us (NEP). Yeah, it's happened before.

Total BS, the Libs subsidized your uprofitable oil industry for years and even today the feds still pump money into it while it makes buckets of money. Alberta is one of the most ungrateful provinces in this country.:roll:

Mulk

The other white liquid
Oct 24, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Total BS, the Libs subsidized your uprofitable oil industry for years and even today the feds still pump money into it while it makes buckets of money. Alberta is one of the most ungrateful provinces in this country.:roll:

I bet you've got a car that runs on gasoline, and heat in your house.

Mulk

The other white liquid
Oct 24, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

And if you were right (which you are not) it would have been the liberals who were doing so. No chance of that. The NEP devastated the industry for years. It's a fact, look it up.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

So, coming form Alberta you can understand his anger especially when the PM promised Danny to his face that he wouldn't do it.

Williams is the premier of his province, democratically elected by the people for whom he is protecting. If Harper doesn't like it he can go f himself and I would that any sane Canadian would stand up to hi if he were to punish NFLD for not voting him in any seats.