Federal money-saving ideas.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Here I'm starting a list of ways the Federal Government could save money. Not all of them would be easy to implement. Some would save only a few dollars (but hey, every red cent counts), etc.

I don't care how crazy your idea is, but please, let's put up a list that could save the government some money. So far I've got the following, but am looking for other ideas to add to it:

Question regarding fiscal policy

Dear candidates,

I would like to know whether you would support any of the following cost-saving measures, even if you must withdraw from your party and stand as an independent MP to do so:

1. End all Federal Government funding for political parties.
2. End the long-gun registry.
3. Abandon plans to purchase the F35s.
4. End all Federal Government subsidies to non-renewable resource industries.
5. Make the Constitutional changes required to reform Official Bilingualism along more efficient lines.
6. Make the Constitutional changes required to eliminate the separate school system.
7. Eliminate all Federal Government subsidies to all non-renewable-resources industries.
8. Prohibit all Federal Government funding for French and English language teaching abroad.
9. Propose a reduction in the number of official languages at the UN so as to reduce its translation and interpretation costs.
10. Shift to a more user-pay taxation system, such as a resource-based tax of some kind, such as a gas tax.
I believe the last point above would be effective in encouraging more responsible use of government resources such as roads and highways so as to reduce government costs in the expansion and maintenance of such infrastructure, by linking taxation more directly to personal choices.
I would also like to know if you can propose other cost-saving measures of your own.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Eliminate foreign aid, try fixing our own country before others.

I can agree to this to an extent, as long as rerecognize that sometimes we need to work with other countries even for our own benefit.

Restrict Canadian military engagements abroad to UN-led operations only.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I can agree to this to an extent, as long as rerecognize that sometimes we need to work with other countries even for our own benefit.

Some countries do deserve aid, but I think we need to be more targeted with it instead of spreading it thin.

Restrict Canadian military engagements abroad to UN-led operations only.

The UN is hardly a beacon of justice and righteousness in that regard, we'd still be at the mercy of the security council and their motives.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I honestly don't know much about Insite, but from what I'd read on your link, it seems like it might be an OK idea. But granting Insite a legal exemption is different from funding it outright. So I suppose we could continue granting the exemption but cut funding I suppose, while granting it charity status.

That's $500,000/y the feds contribute to this. Hardly a bank buster.

$500,000 here, $500,000 there quickly adds up.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Some countries do deserve aid, but I think we need to be more targeted with it instead of spreading it thin.
At least limit ourselves to that aid we're agreed to as per international agreements. From what I understand, we'd committed to 1% of GDP. More than reasonable.

The UN is hardly a beacon of justice and righteousness in that regard, we'd still be at the mercy of the security council and their motives.

The security council can only veto military action; the General Assembly, requiring a majority of votes, can authorize it. And remember Canada would still have the final word. But clearly our own government is not responsible enough to handle money responsibly, so every little constraint to spending helps.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
That's $500,000/y the feds contribute to this. Hardly a bank buster.

Why, two years of that almost adds up to one party in Downtown Toronto for the elite and their disciples for a weekend. Fake lake included. :canada: Thanks Mike. I mean, Harper. :p

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Why, two years of that almost adds up to one party in Downtown Toronto for the elite and their disciples for a weekend. Fake lake included. :canada: Thanks Mike. I mean, Harper. :p

Yeah, the G20 fiasco certainly didn't help our bottom lines... the cops sure got some nice toys out of it though:roll:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Well, if insite prevents a couple hundred episodes of hepatitis, hiv infections per year, I would say it's well worth it.

It may very well be.

Withdraw from NATO, NORAD, the OAS, the Commonwealth of Nations, and the Francophonie.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Might as well add the UN to that too if we are going full on isolationist.

Well, I'm not isolationist, but I would be fore eliminating redundancy in our international relations.

Withdraw from both the G8 and G20.