Hundreds of Natives assert their land claim rights

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
TORONTO (Reuters) - Native protesters used a mound of burning tires and parked vehicles to blockade a road in a southern Ontario town on Thursday after provincial police evicted a group occupying a local construction site.

ADVERTISEMENT

Which currency do you have the most faith in next year?

U.S. dollar
Euro
Japanese yen

The Ontario Provincial Police raided the site in Caledonia early Thursday and removed a number of Six Nations protesters in a bid to end the occupation, which has lasted weeks.

A police official told reporters that "some force" was used during the raid.

The natives claim the construction of a housing project is taking place on land that rightfully belongs to them.

Following the raid, other native protesters moved in to block the road to the construction site. Their number was not immediately known. Television footage showed some protestors wearing bandannas to conceal their faces and waving flags.

The OPP have clashed with native groups in the past, including a standoff at Ipperwash park in 1995 during which an officer shot and killed a protester.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060420...CpvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

The courts and all other systems that has been used is gone now. And the native people are getting angry after another so called attack by police officers. I've seen the pictures 'minimal amount' of force my ass.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Jersay.....

The native band sold the damn land in 1841.

Time to get some police in there and boot their arrogant arses.

And, before you go off on what a anti-native right-wing bigot I am, I supported the Indians both at Ipperwash and Oka. There they were obviously in the right.

Here they are obviously NOT in the right.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
There is no talking to Jersay about these sorts of issues.

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada
My and your Fathers and Forfathers were peoples of this world too.
Where can I/ we assert any rights on a landclaim?

I am positive they were not allians und must have dwelled somewhere.

Of course to live somewhere, I, like most others had to purchase a lot and build my own house; yes you are right, with my own hard earned cash.
And no Tax shelter either, no free tutions on secondary education
und when I need better well water I need to hire and pay welldriller and wellinstaller.
And if my own p..ss contaminates the drinkingwater I have only my self to blame.
Sorry but I believe in only one class of peoples no matter where the came from.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
These Natives are breaking the law and should be treated as Criminals. Natives seem to think their above the law being able to pull stunts like this all the time well their not above the law.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
We are all one people no matter where we come from and laws that govern our country should apply across the board. Land claims issues address discrepancies in laws and the agreements bound by said laws.

There are over 600 Indian Bands in Canada and nearly Band has an outstanding claim of some kind that remains unanswered by the government. The government of Canada has a fiduciary obligation; that is, they are bound by a contract between two nations to honor these agreements.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Quite true, Laika. Good morning. :)

In terms of blocking a road in the Province of Ontario, I am not sure whether or not that contravenes any particular section of the Criminal Code of Canada (and even if it does, no offense jumps out at me, at the moment). While I am unsure as to whether these persons should be charged with anything, I would be quite forthcoming in suggesting that protests of natures such as these don't often assist in bringing about a solution to a problem.

Land claims should be brought before the Courts, where there is a dispute between a number of First Nations persons and the Government of Canada (or the Governments of the Provinces or Territories). To that end, I don't think that protests of this type would speed up that process in the least and, therefore, are unnecessary, in my opinion.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
These folks are costing land developers time and money, and they should be compensated for it by the offenders.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Peaceful demonstrations and protests are an exercise in free speech and expression and do have the benefit of focussing attention on issues.

I believe in peaceful coexistence and respectful negotiation, but I also believe it is well within any citizen's right to demonstrate as long as they do not impinge on the rights or safety of other citizens.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
If they are just "protesting" then why the need to remove people?

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
You will have to ask the OPP? I dunno, maybe because last time they ran in with guns blazing they found themselves in a sh1tstorm for which they were not prepared and do not wish to repeat?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It's because they are trespassing.

The OPP aren't the only ones who know how to use guns...natives do too or it wouldn't be an issue.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: RE: Hundreds of Natives assert their land claim rights

Laika said:
Peaceful demonstrations and protests are an exercise in free speech and expression and do have the benefit of focussing attention on issues.

I believe in peaceful coexistence and respectful negotiation, but I also believe it is well within any citizen's right to demonstrate as long as they do not impinge on the rights or safety of other citizens.
I agree; I hadn't intended to imply that the right of the First Nations people to protest should be somehow curbed. On the contrary, I see no reason why peaceful demonstrations should ever be discouraged. However, my observation is that this protest would be ineffective (not outside their rights, of course).

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Natives can protest peacefully no one denies them that right as any other group, but this protest is not peaceful and these Natives are breaking the law. The non peaceful protests from Native groups have been done before by certain Natives who break the law because they think they are above the law and can do whatever they want.

Natives should perhaps focus on more things before land claims such as holding their corrupt leaders accountable. Natives receive at least 7 billion a year from the Federal Government as long as they have corrupt leaders these land claims and more will only benefit the corrupt leaders and not the people.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
You are quick to label the protestors as criminal. I assert that the developers who currently intend to occupy disputed land are the true criminals. There should be no development until all outstanding disputes are settled.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
I hope the naitves get an injunction preventing development of their lands until the true nature of the 1841 transfer is established...and if a few land-wreckers...oops: DEVELOPERS go broke,well you should have diversified boys, tough luck!

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

Laika said:
You are quick to label the protestors as criminal. I assert that the developers who currently intend to occupy disputed land are the true criminals. There should be no development until all outstanding disputes are settled.

I call these Protesters Criminals because that is what they are. They setup blockades, set a mini-van on Fire, set tires on Fire, Attack Police Officers those are Criminal Acts.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Laika said:

Well then since tying up courts with disputes about who owns what is so fun...I think I will stage a little protest of my own in the development near my house. I wonder how long it will be before they get that resolved or because I'm not native will they just remove me immediately...the latter I bet.

The developers bought the property from another entity I should remind everyone....and why did the natives wait all this time and wait for roads and building to be put in first before making light of all this....maybe the land is suddenly worth more? I don't get it.