NDP Policies

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I thought we could use a thread to just discuss the NDP platform.

I will start:

Layton pledges respect for aboriginal agreements

A teaser:

NDP Leader Jack Layton said his party will push whichever party wins the election to honour the recent Kelowna Agreements with Canada's First Nations peoples.

Campaigning in Winnipeg at the city's Indian and Metis Friendship Centre, Layton said the NDP would press the next government to honour "the letter of the law and the spirit of the law."

The agreements comprise a a 10-year plan that would see the federal government provide billions of dollars in new funding for areas such as housing, health and education for aboriginals. They were reached during a November first ministers' meeting on aboriginal issues in Kelowna, B.C. [/teaser]

Jack is a good man, and I am glad he will try to make sure Paul Martin honours this deal. I hope to see the NDP force the Liberals to incorperate more of the NDP platform during the next sitting of the House.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
no1important said:
I thought we could use a thread to just discuss the NDP platform.

I will start:

Layton pledges respect for aboriginal agreements

A teaser:

NDP Leader Jack Layton said his party will push whichever party wins the election to honour the recent Kelowna Agreements with Canada's First Nations peoples.

Campaigning in Winnipeg at the city's Indian and Metis Friendship Centre, Layton said the NDP would press the next government to honour "the letter of the law and the spirit of the law."

The agreements comprise a a 10-year plan that would see the federal government provide billions of dollars in new funding for areas such as housing, health and education for aboriginals. They were reached during a November first ministers' meeting on aboriginal issues in Kelowna, B.C. [/teaser]

Jack is a good man, and I am glad he will try to make sure Paul Martin honours this deal. I hope to see the NDP force the Liberals to incorperate more of the NDP platform during the next sitting of the House.

I'm voting for the NDP and I like Jack Layton. But my second choice would most likely be conservative and then Green.

the NDP lack on Senate and GG greatly on the other hand.

ave to jet so I'll post more later

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I wish I could vote for one party for social policy, and one for fiscal policy, lol. The NDP would be my first choice for matters of social concern, such as same-sex marriage, drug-related legislation, and similar issues (while I disagree with their wish to abolish the Senate). I would vote for the Liberals for fiscal policy, though; I think the economy has done well as a result of their governance.

In terms of NDP policy, I think it's "good." Their stance on environmental issues is a huge plus for me, and I like their left-wing way of thinking (in most cases). However, sometimes their fiscal proposals and suggestions can seem somewhat "out of touch" with realistic budgetary framework.

My two cents. ;)

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: NDP Policies

FiveParadox said:
I wish I could vote for one party for social policy, and one for fiscal policy, lol. The NDP would be my first choice for matters of social concern, such as same-sex marriage, drug-related legislation, and similar issues (while I disagree with their wish to abolish the Senate). I would vote for the Liberals for fiscal policy, though; I think the economy has done well as a result of their governance.

In terms of NDP policy, I think it's "good." Their stance on environmental issues is a huge plus for me, and I like their left-wing way of thinking (in most cases). However, sometimes their fiscal proposals and suggestions can seem somewhat "out of touch" with realistic budgetary framework.

My two cents. ;)

come on just Vote NDP =-D Plus Fiscally there rep mostly comes from conservative think tanks.. though sometimes these conservative think tanks have actually commanded the NDP too. So really I don't think Fiscally the NDP is any worse then any of the other parties. By far the worst NDP government for Fiscal responcibility was Bob Rae's in Ontario, but you can't just sink a party one one government. Look how many chances the people have gioven the Liberals and look how bad they are at spending and how little we get from them with there spendings. Also the Conservatives have just been as bad. With there reckless tax cuts they end up carrying just as bad debts as the NDP or the Libs with less services.

If you want to say how bad the NDP are by Ontario's NDP government you can simply look at the Ontario PC Mike Harris and todays Liberal Dalton McGuinty

So well JUST VOTE NDP =-D

you know you want to. =-D

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I will not be voting NDP, however much I'd like to. lol

I live in the riding of Newton -- North Delta, and I will be voting Liberal; there's not a chance in Hell I'd vote conservative after how badly the "Hon." Gurmant Grewal embarassed this riding during the past session. And in terms of the NDP, well, it may seem highly "undemocratic," but I am voting against a party rather than for a party. A vote for the Liberals is a vote against the Conservatives.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

FiveParadox said:

I live in the riding of Newton -- North Delta, and I will be voting Liberal; there's not a chance in Hell I'd vote conservative after how badly the "Hon." Gurmant Grewal embarassed this riding during the past session. And in terms of the NDP, well, it may seem highly "undemocratic," but I am voting against a party rather than for a party. A vote for the Liberals is a vote against the Conservatives.

Well, I can't say I blame you for not liking Grewel, and I'm a CPC member.

As far as I'm concerned, the Liberals are an entire party of Grewels.

I'd vote NDP, in fact I'd vote BQ (were that possible) before I'd vote Liberal.

What does the Conservative candidate look like there? (just asking)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Liberal candidate, Sukh Dhaliwal, last time lost by only 520 votes to the Hon. Gurmant Grewal, and is a celebrated member of the local Chamber of Commerce. The Conservative candidate is Phil Eidsvik, a former executive director of the B.C. Fisheries Survival Coalition.

And in terms of the Bloc Québecois, lol, if Gilles Duceppe was the head of any other political party, be it Liberal, Conservative, NDP, Green, Marijuana, Rhino, Sex, he would definitely have my vote. He seems to be the most honest and down-to-earth of the leaders. lol

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
same here i would vote Bloc or even NDP before i vote liberal ...no joke. However in my riding it is almost a sureshot conservative victory but i think i will still get out and vote just to make the point that liberals are not welcome here

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
well here's my list of voting for parties if I were to chose my picks.

NDP
Conservative
Green-Bloq
Communist party
Communist party (ML)
and then after them I think I just wouldn't vote. I can't vote Liberal until they change how they do things. Yes I like alot of what they say but it's what they do which gives me a problem with there party. Perhaps a big time leadership change will gain my support in the Liberals.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well, I would not be surprised to see the Liberal candidate in Newton -- North Delta elected (not by a landslide, mind you, but elected nonetheless). Many people here were quite "sickened" with Gurmant Grewal's conduct, and thus the Conservatives' reputation in this riding has been "tarnished." I don't think the Conservatives have a real chance in this riding at the moment, they'll fare much better in the 40th election, I think.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
hey finder I see that you are favoring to vote for the NDP or the Conservatives...will you be strategicaly voting. What was your riding like in the last election?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Actually it was really a tight 3 way race here last time, Nancy Clegg was only 1000 votes behind Sukh Dhaliwal and it was neck and neck between the 3 candidates for a while.

I think it may be close as all three provincial ridings(Delta North, Surrey-Newton, Surrey Panorama Ridge) in this federal riding (Newton/North Delta) went NDP last May.

But It will be a race between NDP and Libs and I think Sukh Dhaliwal will probably win this time, by how much I am not sure, I can see it being close with Nancy Clegg and yet I can also see him winning by a comfortable margin. But nevertheless I am voting Nancy Clegg NDP here in Newton/North Delta.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I live in the riding of Newton -- North Delta, and I will be voting Liberal; there's not a chance in Hell I'd vote conservative after how badly the "Hon." Gurmant Grewal embarassed this riding during the past session.

From what I've been able to gather, if you want to vote NDP in your riding FiveParadox, you can. The race is between the Liberals and the NDP, with the Conservatives not a real factor this time around. That takes away the need for strategic voting.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto

FiveParadox said:

If Grewal embarassed the riding, what did the Daliwal do then, with his blatent bribe offers for Grewals vote. Ambassadorship? Cabinet post - the Liberals are like "a welcoming mat that has a lot of nice comfy fur on it". Doesn't that disgust you more than Grewal taping it???? :twisted:

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
When a Liberal or Conservative decides to place funds into a project to create employment, .... they simply give the money to the corporations and allow the corporations to grab a 25% management fee before distributing the remaining 75% to those in need.

The NDP give the funds directly to those in need and do away with the management fees.

Calm

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That's very true, Calm. The myth that private corporations can do everything better is dependent on those hearing it not realizing that giving a substantial amount of their money to a bunch of millionaires is not cost-efficient.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Paranoid Dot Calm said:
When a Liberal or Conservative decides to place funds into a project to create employment, .... they simply give the money to the corporations and allow the corporations to grab a 25% management fee before distributing the remaining 75% to those in need.

The NDP give the funds directly to those in need and do away with the management fees.

Calm

How about using the same logic for day care?

Instead of doing the Liberal thing and paying out 80% of the money used to administration costs, and the rest actually to help the needy, why not give the money directly to those that need it?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
BTW, as this is a thread for discussing NDP policy, I'd like to know: what is the NDP's military policy?

Harper released a policy statement that would put Canada's military back on the map: recreate the Airborne Regiment, double the size of the DART contingent, buy heavy lift aircraft to move both these things if needed.
Prepare Canada's military to do what a military is meant to do: FIGHT, in this case be capable of rapid response (72 hours) anywhere in the world.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Harper's stance on DART is another complete flip-flop by the way. A few weeks ago Conservative MPs were ridiculing it in the House of Commons as nothing more than a PR device.

The NDP policy (so far) is here. A major policy statement has not yet been released. They would put money into peacekeeping, pay our soldiers enough that they wouldn't have to depend on foodbanks, place a moratorium on our invlovement in Afghanistan until the situation there can be examined, put money into search and rescue helicopters etc.

This has all been on the news and discussed in the House of Commons, Colpy.