Educators debate whether some math basics are 'a dead issue in the year 2016'

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Educators debate whether some math basics are 'a dead issue in the year 2016' - Canada - CBC News

"There are even parents we are hearing from in Ontario saying 'I taught my child how to add down columns and the teacher sent a note home saying please stop teaching the old algorithms to the students because it's harming them,'" he said.

:lol:

Instead, the focus has been placed on the so-called discovery or inquiry method of learning, where memorization is discouraged and the teacher is more of a guide to encourage students to try different ways to figure out problems, often using materials like blocks or drawing pictures.

If it wasnt for my parents and grandparents who taught me math on sundays growing up i wouldn't have a strong base in it. Most teachers honestly suck at their jobs because the majority of them lack creativity in their teaching methods...

How to hell are you going to use blocks to figure out

0.0008 / 13 = About 14,500,000 results (0.34 seconds) google

Thats how, forget using decimal manipulation?

The old ways work, and you cant hate on calculators cause you need them for roots, trig etc.... just to name a few.

Last edited:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Only rich folks should get educations. If you can't pay, it's permanent serfdom for you and your descendants.

Sounds like the Koch Bros. plan.

At least it created value for being educated.

When everyone is educated, the value of it drops as there is to much supply for the demand.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Wrong. Only parents should decide.

But you would have to get the parents together and they would have to agree to certain ways of doing things. As soon as you get two or three if anyone together, you've got a commune ... creating Communism and there goes your cherished Libertarian dream of every man for himself. Now, if you sub out our education to an entity like Halibertin, THEY'LL know what to do with those commie pinko parents that want to form "school boards" and "Partent Teacher Associations".

It is a step closer to another Dark Age, I will admit. Then, maybe, Jesus will come after you've brought down civilization, eh Walter?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
At least it created value for being educated.

When everyone is educated, the value of it drops as there is to much supply for the demand.

As unpopular as this is, it's the truth Walter and fiveparadox. Why do you think university graduates make 20 000$ a year.

To much education is just as bad as not enough. :lol: You flood the market of anything and it will lose its value.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Only rich folks should get educations. If you can't pay, it's permanent serfdom for you and your descendants.

Sounds like the Koch Bros. plan.

At least the rich kids are getting an education. Public schools seem to be dead set against students learning anything useful. Got gr 12 grads can't even make change because they were never taught basic math skills.

As unpopular as this is, it's the truth Walter and fiveparadox. Why do you think university graduates make 20 000$ a year.

To much education is just as bad as not enough. :lol: You flood the market of anything and it will lose its value.

It is not to much education, rather what they were "educated"in. If they studies any engineering field or medicine they are making good money. Studying dead poets, not so much although with a bit of training they can usually work at a self serve gas bar as long as the till tells them how much change to give.

- Actual average earnings for university and college graduates with two years of work experience is $45,000

https://newsroom.bmo.com/press-rele...-face-a-reality-ch-tsx-bmo-201309120897664001

ANd our labourers make over $1oo ooo.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
LOL, In my uneducated way, I agree with you:
Wasn't Wyndmill a school board trustee before she became Minister of Education and Harris a "teacher"? Shows to go you that education doesn't equate to wise
My experience has been that degrees do not necessarily equate to a real world education. Our system is not designed to turn out a properly educated critical thinker, For the most part, its designed to manufacture cogs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMqJvhmD5Yg