What could possibly go wrong?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
RCMP sets ‘ambitious’ recruitment target of 50% women

Beginning next year, the RCMP is aiming for the first time to enroll just as many women as men in its training academy in Regina.

Some observers are skeptical whether there’s enough interest among women to reach the 50 per cent recruitment target — especially when a “masculine culture” still pervades the force.

But officials say they are determined to get the makeup of the force to be more representative of the communities they serve.

“It absolutely is ambitious. But in my position as part of this national police force I think it’s important that we’re a leader in employment equity hiring,” said Sgt. Marlene Bzdel, director of the national recruiting policy centre.

Currently, women represent about 21 per cent of sworn officers. Mounties want to increase that to 30 per cent by 2025.

more affirmative something or other:

RCMP sets ‘ambitious’ recruitment target: 50% women

Lorrie GoldsteinVerified account ‏@sunlorrie

RCMP sets ‘ambitious’ recruitment target of 50% women http://www.canada.com/news/RCMP+sets+ambitious+recruitment+target+women/10305302/story.html … #cdnpoli

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
as long as they are qualified, it's a great target to want the force to reflect the community, it should reflect the community in terms of education, and values....but they have to be qualified

1975....30 females graduated...they really did pave the way

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
as long as they are qualified, it's a great target to want the force to reflect the community, it should reflect the community in terms of education, and values....but they have to be qualified

1975....30 females graduated...they really did pave the way
I agree completely, but I would caution that this also requires a sceptical review of "qualification." I never really understood how the ability to do X pushups in X seconds* qualified one for anything.

* Not saying the RCMP has such a requirement. But many military and paramilitary organisations do.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I agree completely, but I would caution that this also requires a sceptical review of "qualification." I never really understood how the ability to do X pushups in X seconds* qualified one for anything.

* Not saying the RCMP has such a requirement. But many military and paramilitary organisations do.

they likely do though, and we were just talking about exactly that yesterday...a friend of mine said if he had been taller and not worn glasses he would have been a cop...that was the standard back then...there are still standards which are likely ridiculous but not knowing the given standards I can only surmise and hope not.

there are some female cops in my community that I would consider tiny meaning either equal to or shorter than me with a small body frame, I am 5'4. When I spoke to them about physical limitations and the intimidation factor they said the ability to de-escalate rather than over-come was stressed along with something about gun use being tied to their physicality...can't remember how she worded it but essentially she could use some type of force faster than a physically stronger male counter part and it was considered necessary and acceptable where as for the male it would not

I thought it sounded logical and practical

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Women make up approx. 50% of the population so why not? Maybe it's even needed as women can often be more beligerant than men.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I fail to see why 50% of the RCMP should be women and why it should be a target of the RCMP.

It would be much better if 50% of the RCMP were very competent and skilled officers. This should be the target of the RCMP.

50% of the criminals in Canada are not women.
Women do not make up 50% of the work force in Canada.

Let's put the emphasis where it should be, on capability and qualifications, not on Liberal political agendas.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

They do have physical levels to achieve. It's full on paramilitary training as RCMP is a militia.

Life at Depot is tough. Really tough. A hefty percentage go loopy from stress and exhaustion.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Lots of the people that work armored car service are trying to use it as a springboard to police.

Back when I worked at that my partner wrote the test for the RCMP. Later he met an acquaintance who had written at the same time, and discussed their scores. My partner had scored significantly higher..........at the end of the conversation,Buddy asked my partner "When are you going to Regina?"

But my partner hadn't made the cut.

Buddy was Black.

LUDICROUS.

Take the BEST candidates, white, black, female, whatever, IF you want the BEST police force.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lots of the people that work armored car service are trying to use it as a springboard to police.

Back when I worked at that my partner wrote the test for the RCMP. Later he met an acquaintance who had written at the same time, and discussed their scores. My partner had scored significantly higher..........at the end of the conversation,Buddy asked my partner "When are you going to Regina?"

But my partner hadn't made the cut.

Buddy was Black.

LUDICROUS.

Take the BEST candidates, white, black, female, whatever, IF you want the BEST police force.

The black guy might have had a better education and CV to begin with.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

You never understood how strength and speed is/was a qualification for soldiers or Marines?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Today the RCMP is an incompetent organization.,

They have been going down hill ever since they started hiring officers on the basis of political correctness.

There are many high profile cases that should have been easily solved by now, the McCain case ( elderly couple in an Rv) is one that comes to mind.

Enough is enough!