Re: For The Harper-Hating Half Wits and NutbarsDec 9th, 2012
If you don't like his vision, then you end up feeling like a person who won a majority with 37% of the vote shouldn't be able to so easily change the course of the country for the other 63%.
- Your comment that a person with 37% of the vote shouldn't be able to easily change the course of the country doesn't persuade me.
- With Canada's multi-party federal system, 37-42% of the vote is the new norm for the winning party that gets to form the government. In the past 59 years and 19 elections, only two have given a party an actual majority of over 50% of the votes cast. And if you consider that the voter participation rate is generally around 60%, then no party has even come close to winning the support of over half of the eligible voters.
- So this kind of thinking would mean that no party ever would be able to change the course of the country, no leadership would be legitimate, and we would simply drift along while other leaders in other nations make decisions that would result in changing our country, too, and not necessarily for the better.
- Harper won a legitimate mandate under the rules of our parliamentary system to govern which includes making choices to both respond to and to influence economic, fiscal and social developments and he should exercise that mandate even if the Ottawa and the downtown Toronto latte loving lefty crowd disagrees.
- Perhaps you prefer a system of proportional representation (which in Canada would mean never having a majority government) but until the rules are changed I submit to you that Harper has both the authority and the duty to exercise leadership and thereby change the course of the country.