Canadian Forces?

Redwings361

Mar 9, 2011
USA
Can a citizen of the USA become a member of a member of the Forces? I say this cause I have a high respect for Canada and would love to become a citizen as well as defend it's country.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Can a citizen of the USA become a member of a member of the Forces? I say this cause I have a high respect for Canada and would love to become a citizen as well as defend it's country.
Many Canadians have joined the US military without becoming US citizens so I don't see why an American cannot join our forces. It would make you a shoe in for citizenship, I'm sure.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Many Canadians have joined the US military without becoming US citizens so I don't see why an American cannot join our forces. It would make you a shoe in for citizenship, I'm sure.

It used to be that U.S. citizens could not swear allegiance to a foreign power and keep theit citizenship. To join the Canadian forces you have to swear allegiance to the queen

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:
  1. Be a Canadian Citizen
  2. Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except:
    • Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older
      OR
    • Primary Reserve applicants, who must be 17 years of age or older
  3. Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation:
    • Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation
FORCES.CA - Home

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:
  1. Be a Canadian Citizen
  2. Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except:
    • Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older
      OR
    • Primary Reserve applicants, who must be 17 years of age or older
  3. Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation:
    • Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation
FORCES.CA - Home
Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Military Staff Must Pledge Allegiance to Queen

A Federal Court today ruled that members of the Canadian Forces must pledge allegiance to the Queen. While many may debate the merits of the monarchy in Canada, this is a good decision. Whether or not you believe in the Queen being our head of state or the commander in chief of the armed forces is irrelevant. The only relevant point is that she is. It should not be up to an individual member to be allowed to refuse to pay respect and swear allegiance to his recognized commander-in-chief.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I'm not sure, though you will have to pledge allegiance to the monarch. Not a bad thing in itself, but just letting you know.

It used to be that U.S. citizens could not swear allegiance to a foreign power and keep theit citizenship. To join the Canadian forces you have to swear allegiance to the queen

Oops, beat me to it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I see the mistaken belief we are a democracy all the time. We are not in fact
Canada is a constitutional Monarchy, therefore you pledge allegiance to the
head of state in this case the Queen, therefore the court ruling is in fact the
correct decision whether you personally agree or not.
To me it makes no difference, it is all symbolic anyway and makes a great
photo op for tourists from away.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I understand we have numerous Canadians in military service in the US. Part of this is mentioned in Rick Hillarads book.
I'm sure there is also many US soliders, probably on a trade basis, working in Canadian military.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I see the mistaken belief we are a democracy all the time. We are not in fact
Canada is a constitutional Monarchy, therefore you pledge allegiance to the
head of state in this case the Queen, therefore the court ruling is in fact the
correct decision whether you personally agree or not.
To me it makes no difference, it is all symbolic anyway and makes a great
photo op for tourists from away.
I got one of the Queen's Guard really pissed at me. He never broke his stare. At first he just stomped his foot and said "step away from the Queens' guard" which made us laugh even harder but when he screamed "step away from the Queens' guard" so hard he got snot on his big fuzzy hat and lowered his automatic weapon we got the hell out of there.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I got one of the Queen's Guard really pissed at me. He never broke his stare. At first he just stomped his foot and said "step away from the Queens' guard" which made us laugh even harder but when he screamed "step away from the Queens' guard" so hard he got snot on his big fuzzy hat and lowered his automatic weapon we got the hell out of there.
That sounds really stupid. What did you do to get him so p-ssed that he screamed at you?
The Guardsmen are there because they have to be there. If he had retaliated physically,
he would have been court martialed.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

C'mon Petros. You cannot be doing that to the soldier. Was that in England?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They murder hundreds of baby bears every year for their stupid hats.

I thought they changed to a kinder gentler faux bear hat.

That sounds really stupid. What did you do to get him so p-ssed that he screamed at you?
The Guardsmen are there because they have to be there. If he had retaliated physically,
he would have been court martialed.

Aren't there supposed to be the "other" guards to deal with civillians bothering the ones on the spit and polish post?

Some of our Ceremonial Guards in Washington have police or soldiers nearby to come to the aid of the soldier who is on the visible ceremonial post if by chance a passerby wants to get silly.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
They murder hundreds of baby bears every year for their stupid hats.

No. They don't. The people who sell the bearskin hats obviously have to kill a thousand or so but the bear
population in B.C. alone is around a hundred and forty thousand and the population is growing. There are
nearly a half million black bears in Canada.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yeah man. One of the smaller palaces.

I liked his response though...

"Stand clear of the Queen's Guard!"

Sounds right from the movie The Patriot...

"Stand clear of the King's Road!"

These folks gave you some good scoop. Eventually, if accepted by Canada you would have to swear allegiance to them and I believe that puts your US citizenship in jeopardy. I know you can't have dual citizenship but some countries allow you to have it.

A friend of mine was from Spain and a Marine with me. As a Marine he got a draft notice, forwarded to the Marine Base, for the Spanish Army! He told the Spanish Authorities he was in the US Marines and at first they said, in his words...

"Oh well. You were a Spainiard first and you better get back here and report to the Spanish Army for training. If not the next time you visit your family in Spain you will be arrested."

In the end it got all worked out but the Spanish said he was a Spainish citizen as well as a US citizen.

Redwings361

Mar 9, 2011
USA

Which I have absolutely no problem what so ever doing.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Any American that joins the armed forces of another country has effectively renounced their citizenship. I would strongly recommend that you check this out with the State Department, BEFORE you join up.