Younger Generation - Dumb or Stupid or Both- Yes or No

Goober

I see in my work a large number of 18 to 25 or year old persons

I see some in supervisory position with no interpersonal skills what so ever. And yes they send emails and cannot even be bothered to use the auto spell check.

I see employees that have the same talents as mentioned above

I see many who need help to even change their mind - the inability to think a simple problem through to a conclusion is unbelievable

I see this day after day.

I see a lack of ethics - both moral and work - They will blame someone else when something goes wrong instead of facing the music.

I see losers that will go through life complaining about everything that is wrong yet do nothing to change the situation

And yes men are the majority.

And no this is not all but a substantial number.

Then I see the others that will be highly successful in life.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
taxslave
+1
Reflects rather poorly on both their parents and the education system I would say.

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Reflects rather poorly on both their parents and the education system I would say.

Scary is it not that they will be making decisions that affect us all.

gerryh
of course, the younger generation are all a bunch of brain dead morons. Lazy good for nothins.

But then..... consider like attracts like.... so maybe a mirror would be in order.

Tonington
Or indifferent?

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

of course, the younger generation are all a bunch of brain dead morons. Lazy good for nothins.

But then..... consider like attracts like.... so maybe a mirror would be in order.

Come out as state clearly, Gerry - Never mind the puzzles, riddle or mind games.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Come out as state clearly, Gerry - Never mind the puzzles, riddle or mind games.

"come out as state clearly".......... and you're complaining about the spelling and grammar of kids. How rich is that.

Like I said, maybe a mirror is in order.

Goober

"come out as state clearly".......... and you're complaining about the spelling and grammar of kids. How rich is that.

Well we both know along with others on this Forum that you and I disagree -

The facility i work at had at one point over 800 employees - Then the reoged the place opened another building and moved the admin staff all in to one working place.

As to the mirror - Shove it up your asssse -

No i alwys do not use spell check - good you and Jbeee have something in common

Again shove the mirror up your miserable asssses

gerryh

The facility i work at had at one point over 800 employees - Then the reoged the place opened another building and moved the admin staff all in to one working place.

you are bitching about 18 to 25 year olds being lazy and not using a spell checker. Here you are, in the very thread where you are bitching about the kids, showing that you are too lazy to use a spell checker, where your sentences don't even make sense, and your grammar is atrocious. Pot meet kettle. The kids can use the excuse that they are young and still learning. What's yours, you're old and can't remember how to do it properly?

Goober

you are bitching about 18 to 25 year olds being lazy and not using a spell checker. Here you are, in the very thread where you are bitching about the kids, showing that you are too lazy to use a spell checker, where your sentences don't even make sense, and your grammar is atrocious. Pot meet kettle. The kids can use the excuse that they are young and still learning. What's yours, you're old and can't remember how to do it properly?

Well Gerry i had to quit school at an early age - it supported my mother, brother and sister. So guess what - Fujk you.

I worked my ass of to get where I am today - so hung up on spell check and those that do not use it - manyou are fuked.

You are one miserable sob and bring it every wheres you travel - So stop jumping on me - find an old mattress and some Vaseline.

gerryh

Well Gerry i had to quit school at an early age - it supported my mother, brother and sister. So guess what - Fujk you.

I worked my ass of to get where I am today - so hung up on spell check and those that do not use it - manyou are fuked.

You are one miserable sob and bring it every wheres you travel - So stop jumping on me - find an old mattress and some Vaseline.

Still don't see it eh...... how about we start a thread about Goober....stupid or dumb or both - yes or no...... and use the posts that you have made in this thread as an example.

get it yet?

Goober

Still don't see it eh...... how about we start a thread about Goober....stupid or dumb or both - yes or no...... and use the posts that you have made in this thread as an example.

get it yet?

I get it - I sent a PM - Put some thought into it please and let me know.

gerryh

I get it - I sent a PM - Put some thought into it please and let me know.

obviously you don't get it.

lone wolf
Obviously nobody ever will

Goober

get it yet?

Well start a thread - or do you just spout off.

DaSleeper
+2
At work before I retired, the company, like most companies would hire students for summer relief.
We always got the usual, smart ,dumb, good workers and lazy bums in about the same ratio as the working adults.
This young man worked on my crew that summer, all thumbs when doing manual labour, but he was always looking for an easier way to do something, which unlike others, I didn’t hold against him.
So one day at lunch time he comes to ask about a job we had to do that afternoon, that usually took one hour , using overhead hoists, cable, and other mechanical lifts (no need to describe the job in details)

After having done that job with us a few times, he explained to me how it could be done easier and faster.
His idea made so much sense that I went and talked to the whole crew about it…
All of the guys said …”We have been doing it a certain way for years, it’s not the time to change”
Except the crew leader….he agreed with me that since the machine was shut down for the whole day this was the perfect time to experiment.
So when it was time to do the job, he stayed with the crew leader to direct the tradesmen that were also involved in the operation.
Instead of taking one hour, the job took 40 minutes and the manual labour part was a lot easier,
That job has been done that way since……

The only thing I hold against that kid, is that he went on to become a lawyer…….

Risus
I do the hiring where I work. One of the positions is for writers. It is unbelievable how atrocious the spelling and grammar is on both the resumes and cover letters from the younger generation.

damngrumpy
+4
I don't think you can paint all young people with one slogan. I see a generation that
thinks for itself and in some cases it conflicts with societies present moral standards
but that is true of every generation. The other problem I have is, if you tell people
they are dumb and stupid or both, they will be. Do young people take the verbal
abuse some employers hand out? No they tell the former boss what they think of them, and that is sometimes a good thing. I did that a few times because I always
felt I was looking for a job when I found the one I had. I did a lot of things in my
time but one thing I never did, I never kissed the backside of some supervisor. did
my job my way, if he didn't like it I moved on. Today I have my own business but I
still have to live by certain principles. In my view there is nothing worse that some
over rated supervisor who thinks everyone else is dumb and stupid. As for the fact
they are self absorbed, yes they are, and they don't use spell check because the
schools didn't see spelling as a critical issue which it is of course. It is usually an
older person who is a supervisor and its the team leaders job to inspire people to
want to change their view as to how to succeed. You don't inspire people telling they are dumb and stupid. I have 23 grand kids, I have a fairly good relationship with them all, so I know a little of which I speak, and you can't build good relationships
telling people they are dumb and stupid, or even that you, think they are.
Supervisors should do their job and inspire the next generation to be more inquisitive
and want to change. Asking youth for new ideas leaves one open to new ideas and
sometimes its too much for some older folk.. I think the younger generation has its
faults but I think most are a pretty good lot.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I don't think you can paint all young people with one slogan. I see a generation that
thinks for itself and in some cases it conflicts with societies present moral standards
but that is true of every generation. The other problem I have is, if you tell people
they are dumb and stupid or both, they will be. Do young people take the verbal
abuse some employers hand out? No they tell the former boss what they think of them, and that is sometimes a good thing. I did that a few times because I always
felt I was looking for a job when I found the one I had. I did a lot of things in my
time but one thing I never did, I never kissed the backside of some supervisor. did
my job my way, if he didn't like it I moved on. Today I have my own business but I
still have to live by certain principles. In my view there is nothing worse that some
over rated supervisor who thinks everyone else is dumb and stupid. As for the fact
they are self absorbed, yes they are, and they don't use spell check because the
schools didn't see spelling as a critical issue which it is of course. It is usually an
older person who is a supervisor and its the team leaders job to inspire people to
want to change their view as to how to succeed. You don't inspire people telling they are dumb and stupid. I have 23 grand kids, I have a fairly good relationship with them all, so I know a little of which I speak, and you can't build good relationships
telling people they are dumb and stupid, or even that you, think they are.
Supervisors should do their job and inspire the next generation to be more inquisitive
and want to change. Asking youth for new ideas leaves one open to new ideas and
sometimes its too much for some older folk.. I think the younger generation has its
faults but I think most are a pretty good lot.

Holy crap, something I agree 100% with you on. I'm waiting for the sky to fall now.

CapsuleNeo
Ageism is not good.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

At work before I retired, the company, like most companies would hire students for summer relief.
We always got the usual, smart ,dumb, good workers and lazy bums in about the same ratio as the working adults.
This young man worked on my crew that summer, all thumbs when doing manual labour, but he was always looking for an easier way to do something, which unlike others, I didn’t hold against him.
So one day at lunch time he comes to ask about a job we had to do that afternoon, that usually took one hour , using overhead hoists, cable, and other mechanical lifts (no need to describe the job in details)

After having done that job with us a few times, he explained to me how it could be done easier and faster.
All of the guys said …”We have been doing it a certain way for years, it’s not the time to change”
Except the crew leader….he agreed with me that since the machine was shut down for the whole day this was the perfect time to experiment.
So when it was time to do the job, he stayed with the crew leader to direct the tradesmen that were also involved in the operation.
Instead of taking one hour, the job took 40 minutes and the manual labour part was a lot easier,

The only thing I hold against that kid, is that he went on to become a lawyer…….

Sometimes, smart and lazy is a good combination.

Praxius

I see some in supervisory position with no interpersonal skills what so ever. And yes they send emails and cannot even be bothered to use the auto spell check.

I see many who need help to even change their mind - the inability to think a simple problem through to a conclusion is unbelievable

I see a lack of ethics - both moral and work - They will blame someone else when something goes wrong instead of facing the music.

I see losers that will go through life complaining about everything that is wrong yet do nothing to change the situation

And how old are you?

Do you remember what you were like at those ages?

Do you even know what others thought of you when you came on board at that age?

Chances are they thought you were just as dumb and limited in thinking as well.... as least a good portion of your co-workers at the job you were at at that age thought that.

The thing is, at that age range, you have limited hands-on experience compared to someone in their 30's or 40's..... you either just got out of high school or just got out of college and just because you just got out of college doesn't automatically mean you're any better then the person who just came out of high school since while you may have more education under your belt, you still lacked the hands-on experience.

I remember growing up as a child hearing the people on TV and the radios claim the new generation coming in were stupid and a bunch of stuck up morons who thought they were experienced and knew it all..... then when my generation came in, it was the same thing from that same generation who was called stupid and dumb....... and now here's my generation doing the exact same thing.

You know what?

My parents generation was called the same thing in the 70's...... and those before them in the 60's..... yup..... and 50's??

This mentality is nothing new..... and it proves nothing.

Many of those mistakes you listed above are mistakes I made when I first came into the work force which I don't make anymore.... but I'll admit I'm not perfect and I still make mistakes sometimes, though certainly not as many as I used to..... and I have employees here where I work who are in their 40's, 50's and one who was in his 60's who make just as many mistakes as I, if not more and I end up fixing them for them....... what does that tell you about them? Should I brand their generations as you branded this generation you're complaining about?

...... and not accepting blame?

I guess you forgot what it's like being the new guy on the job who's younger then everybody else there, who's continually reminded that you have no experience, who's always put in the spot light to prove themselves because if you screw up, you'll easily be replaced because there's a whole line up of others like you waiting at the door to take your place for that piddily amount of money tossed at you.

Yeah, they have no pressure on them to avoid screw ups....... yes.... it's completely realistic to expect them to perform just as good, if not better then you or someone else with more experience and know-how of how things work there.

Do you even know what it's like to be in a supervisory position over people twice your age who look at you with contempt and smugness that they're taking orders from a child... who are just waiting for one excuse to get them tossed out on their ass?

You see their problems and flaws shine out perfectly like a lighthouse beacon, simply because of their age and lack of experience and somehow think their problems are far worse then anything you had to go through at that age..... and because they're still trying to gain experience and the pressure to prove themselves makes them sometimes cut corners or miss a few steps..... they're a bunch of morons compared to your genius'ness.

Maybe instead of trashing the crap out of them and treating them like idiots who should be working at Dairy Queen, you should actually try and help them.... be their friend..... toss in a few pointers that you had to learn over the years.

Maybe then they might not seem like such douches, grow up a little faster and make the whole workplace seem a little better for everyone...... as I'm pretty damn sure you needed help at some point too and those older then you seeing you walk in the door for the first time thought you were just as stupid and just as ignorant as you see these fresh faces.

The more things change, the more they stay the same....... some people just seem to forget their own earlier experiences.

Sure.... maybe you were really good at what you did....... and chances are you also acted like you were really good at what you did....... and I bet a few others you worked with complimented you on your abilities and good a worker you were...... and I also bet there were even more who mocked you behind your back and were jealous of your position at such a young age, who focused on the little petty things you screwed up on or what they saw as you avoiding responsibility and pinning it on someone else...... who thought you were stupid and shouldn't be in the position you are in and only ass-kissed those who put you there.

Sure, there's always one or two people who are truly morons and should never be in the position they're in, who always pass blame onto the other person...... the guy I mentioned in his 60's I worked with was one of them and everybody else around him were always trying to fix his screw ups, because he simply didn't give a damn..... he was retiring soon anyways so what did it matter to him?

Should I brand his entire generation with the same brush as you are doing?

No.

critter171

So what is wrong with this?

so wait you looking into something that none of your buisnesss from the start i am sure the business rather make money than worry about using spell check.

Do you really know there talent your just judging by a far away?

Ladies change there mind all there time. to think simple? really how do you know if its simple or not without knowing what it is?

No your just see what you wanna see there a diffrence.

Oh yea that so true oh wait... how many adults have also plan school how many of you have blame the adults for your own fault oh wait .... you don't here the music yourself.

everyone complains this is nothing new

can you acutally proe this have you been to each and every job to know anything base on this than where you work? no so this it just a huge assumption

You talk about younger greation being stupid yet you adults can't accpet the fact gays should have a right to marriage and we view our own future. not base on what you guys want. We know what we want. and were already ahead of you by the time you got to our age.

shameful that many adults can't give people there rights..... yet young people are not afraid to stand up for there rights or other people rights.

Praxius

A perfect example of what I was just saying.... maybe you should get a browser that spell checks for you too before you bitch at others for the exact same mistakes.

And your cocky attitude towards someone's view you don't agree with?

Yeah..... you're so much better then the people you're complaining about.

The generation before you acted, talked and treated people like you just as you are doing right now to the next........ As the world turns, these are the days of our lives.

Awwww.... now the poor old coot is avoiding responsibility and passing blame onto others for his misfortune..... Where did I hear this from before?

Quote:

No, it seems you are because you're so stuck up your own generation's omnipotence, you can't even see reality for what it truly is.

You worked your ass off?

Who the hell hasn't? I worked my damn ass off too..... yet I was still treated with the same crap attitude your dishing to these kids, acting as though they're breezing through.

Maybe you breezed through by continually playing the sob card of your poor hard life and people gave you sympathy for your plight........ see how this works?

Quote:

What's the problem? Can't take what you dish out?

Guess it sucks to be you.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Exactly..... there are going to be people pissed that some kid came along with a better idea on how to do things then what they've been doing...... but that's the way it goes.

When I went into photography and worked on grad photos and school photo packages..... the process of cropping, color correcting and packaging the files in the program we were using took close to 2 minutes per person...... with hundreds and hundreds of packages of students per school of dozens of schools each year..... that was a considerable amount of time I thought.

Eventually I got fed up and took a couple of hours out of the day to work on my own process to make it more streamlined, against the wishes of the owner, simply because we didn't have the time to screw around with it.

I knew I could do it and I went ahead and did it.

I cut down each package process from close to 2 minutes..... down to less then 35 seconds each...... obviously my process replaced the old one, but did I ever get a thanks or a good job-pat on the back for my work?

No..... I was still the 21 year old kid who didn't know a lump of sh*t from a cob of corn...... even when I also improved their color correcting process and retouching process of grad photos to look more professional and more realistic.

It seems most of the older generations get pissy about the new generation coming in because they think what they spent all their life doing is better and doesn't need fixing...... but I at least hope that when the new generation starts to tred on my territory, I don't start thinking that way and I actually help them to be better then I am...... that's how it's supposed to work.

karrie
A couple thoughts on the matter.

1...You date yourself when you complain about the kids nowadays... lol.

2...Older generations have lived in fear of the stupidity and folly of the younger generation for all of written human history.

3...The youth society turns out are a malleable product. How children develop, how they learn, is affected largely by their environment. The fact that they've turned out different than previous generations says nothing about their faculty, it only shows that the environment they were tailored to has changed since your generation was raised (which is why my point number 2 has repeated itself throughout history).

ironsides

Don't blame the younger generation for what they are, after all we are the ones who made them that way.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

A perfect example of what I was just saying.... maybe you should get a browser that spell checks for you too before you bitch at others for the exact same mistakes.

The generation before you acted, talked and treated people like you just as you are doing right now to the next........ As the world turns, these are the days of our lives.

Awwww.... now the poor old coot is avoiding responsibility and passing blame onto others for his misfortune..... Where did I hear this from before?

No, it seems you are because you're so stuck up your own generation's omnipotence, you can't even see reality for what it truly is.

You worked your ass off?

Who the hell hasn't? I worked my damn ass off too..... yet I was still treated with the same crap attitude your dishing to these kids, acting as though they're breezing through.

Maybe you breezed through by continually playing the sob card of your poor hard life and people gave you sympathy for your plight........ see how this works?

Exactly..... there are going to be people pissed that some kid came along with a better idea on how to do things then what they've been doing...... but that's the way it goes.

When I went into photography and worked on grad photos and school photo packages..... the process of cropping, color correcting and packaging the files in the program we were using took close to 2 minutes per person...... with hundreds and hundreds of packages of students per school of dozens of schools each year..... that was a considerable amount of time I thought.

Eventually I got fed up and took a couple of hours out of the day to work on my own process to make it more streamlined, against the wishes of the owner, simply because we didn't have the time to screw around with it.

I knew I could do it and I went ahead and did it.

I cut down each package process from close to 2 minutes..... down to less then 35 seconds each...... obviously my process replaced the old one, but did I ever get a thanks or a good job-pat on the back for my work?

No..... I was still the 21 year old kid who didn't know a lump of sh*t from a cob of corn...... even when I also improved their color correcting process and retouching process of grad photos to look more professional and more realistic.

It seems most of the older generations get pissy about the new generation coming in because they think what they spent all their life doing is better and doesn't need fixing...... but I at least hope that when the new generation starts to tred on my territory, I don't start thinking that way and I actually help them to be better then I am...... that's how it's supposed to work.

Well we both know along with others on this Forum that you and I disagree -The facility I work at had at one point over 800 employees - Then the reoged the place opened another building and moved the admin staff all in to one working place.As to the mirror - Shove it up your asssse -No I alwys do not use spell check - good you and Jbeee have something in commonAgain shove the mirror up your miserable asssses

Good idea - perhaps I will - any suggestions?

Cocky - As in what way -

No I am not
Judgmental call - back it up
Well Gerry I had to quit school at an early age - it supported my mother, brother and sister. So guess what - Fujk you.

Awwww.... now the poor old coot is avoiding responsibility and passing blame onto others for his misfortune.....

Where did I hear this from before?

No I am not blaming anyone - That was life - buckled down and carried on - Problem with that?

You worked your ass off?

No it does not suck to be me - I have a good life. Again a hasty call based on??????The only thing I hold against that kid, is that he went on to become a lawyer…….

Well then anyone who cannot respect a better way of doing things and gets all pissy about it is ignorant and dumb. Just because something has always been done that way means it could need a look over for a better way to do it.

Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

Don't blame the younger generation for what they are, after all we are the ones who made them that way.

I agree for the most part - some had opportunities and walked away - Life choice - Some had none but made them by hard work, perseverance.

lone wolf
I wonder if some folks read training manuals the same way they read forum posts - the headline, a couple of lines, then fill in the rest with mouth and mad?

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I wonder if some folks read training manuals the same way they read forum posts - the headline, a couple of lines, then fill in the rest with mouth and mad?

Perhaps I should rewrite the original then.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I think so. Since I started with the company I work for, I've been measuring far more water quality parameters than they were before, just to bring us into compliance with the regulations. Since then, I've been moved to fill a position left vacant by someone who resigned. In the meantime, some co-workers are taking over my responsibilities. I showed them the SOP I wrote, the manual that the probe came with, and even showed them how to do it by doing it myself. They could do it when I gave the probes to them. But a few days afterwards they were already doing things way wrong. I told them to follow the SOP...and the end result is that now my probes have to be sent away for re-calibration....

Not impressed.