Younger Generation - Dumb or Stupid or Both- Yes or No


MaynardKing
#121
here is another great article. I really like this one, because i love the show arrested development and its the title.
Ten Million Slaves: ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT (external - login to view)

I think there is a common agreement that television is playing a major role in brainwashing the young generation, that and rap music..
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
talloola
#122
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

God Help me - Now it is 2 Stubborn women - Send help and perhaps the Arch Angel St Micheal - Yes John Travolta will work.

and, I didn't 'just' say "Ok" when he called me I said "I'm typing right now, I'll be there in a minute".
and didn't stop for a second, completed my post, sent it off, then went to the living room.

mothers who have babies,young children, a house to care for, cooking on the go, do multi tasking a lot
during the day. breast feeding, while stirring food on the stove, answering the 4 year old at the
same time, when they ask you "is this the way mamma"?, listening for stove alarms, washing machine signals,
and always thinking about which thing is priority to do next, while still doing this one, watching the
clock to figure out when to put certain foods in the oven, or when to pick someone up from school, and
be to an appointment on time, and make sure temperature is set properly, and timer is correct.
I also did lots of sewing, made many articles of clothing, so at times I was hand sewing while doing
others things as well, you know, it's just life, that's the way it is, doesn't mean anyone is smarter
than anyone else, just made differently.


My husband use to be a sawyer in the mill, had to sit and enter many numbers all day long to saw the
logs, took lots of concentration and knowledge, but he didn't have to breast feed a baby while doing
it, or make sure other children are safe and not in trouble, and make dinner, mix up a cake, etc.

I could have learned to be a sawyer too, but once I learned, I would have gone crazy shut up in that
little cubicle all day, as I need to have a variety of things to do, and being at home doing lots of
things made me happy, and yes, multi tasking on many occasions.

I'm not stubborn at all. lol lol
 
karrie
#123
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

God Help me - Now it is 2 Stubborn women - Send help and perhaps the Arch Angel St Micheal - Yes John Travolta will work.

stubborn? us? Who's married to the idea that mutlitasking is impossible? lol.
 
Goober
#124
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

stubborn? us? Who's married to the idea that mutlitasking is impossible? lol.

I am not married yet- I do believe as per the experts that Multi-Tasking is impossible. That is not stubborn -
 
JLM
#125
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

I am not married yet- I do believe as per the experts that Multi-Tasking is impossible. That is not stubborn -

I agree with you Goober (much to Karrie's and Talloola's chagrin ) where multitasking involves thought. (Chewing gum doesn't count)
 
karrie
#126
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

I am not married yet- I do believe as per the experts that Multi-Tasking is impossible. That is not stubborn -

I agree that the parameters that they discuss do not work for multi-tasking. They are discussing mental tasks, and business implementation of multi-tasking. For example, it's been shown that something as simple as trying to answer e-mails while focusing on a project at work, can actually make you take longer to do both, than it would take you if you just turned off your e-mail notifications and finished the project before opening your e-mails and addressing them all at once. Mental multi-tasking.

But there are things which multi-task together just fine... mindless labour with a mental task works just fine. If you can find an expert that says otherwise, let me know.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I agree with you Goober (much to Karrie's and Talloola's chagrin ) where multitasking involves thought. (Chewing gum doesn't count)

why would this be to my chagrin? Did you actually read my posts?
 
JLM
#127
[QUOTE=karrie;

why would this be to my chagrin? Did you actually read my posts?[/QUOTE]

Post 106.
 
karrie
#128
you mean the one where I said it's easy to multi-task so long as only one task requires thought, which you just actually agreed with?
 
JLM
#129
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

you mean the one where I said it's easy to multi-task so long as only one task requires thought, which you just actually agreed with?

OK, Karrie- you win this one. I guess when you said "Bull" to my post it kind of threw me.
 
Goober
#130
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I agree that the parameters that they discuss do not work for multi-tasking. They are discussing mental tasks, and business implementation of multi-tasking. For example, it's been shown that something as simple as trying to answer e-mails while focusing on a project at work, can actually make you take longer to do both, than it would take you if you just turned off your e-mail notifications and finished the project before opening your e-mails and addressing them all at once. Mental multi-tasking.

But there are things which multi-task together just fine... mindless labour with a mental task works just fine. If you can find an expert that says otherwise, let me know.



why would this be to my chagrin? Did you actually read my posts?

The mindless task such as cleaning a tub, or things of that nature while done time and time again still require part of your brain to perform that function. Does it cause a major interference with other more complicated tasks I would say no -

While i am working around the house, repairs, inside or out- not using cutting tools i find that it also gives me time to think about issues that i need to address. So in reality i would say our brain is switching between tasks and we do not realize it for the most part. We do realize it when we are doing 2 things, 1 as you say a mindless task and something more complicated, we notice when we realize we made an error or missed something we normally would not. When that does ocurr we know that one task had interfered with the other. We were not giving it our complete attention. We all try to do these things and we all know what the results can be and where it originated. To much attention on one over the other, a distraction for example.
 
karrie
#131
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

OK, Karrie- you win this one. I guess when you said "Bull" to my post it kind of threw me.

Aw, I'll be nicer.

Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

The mindless task such as cleaning a tub, or things of that nature while done time and time again still require part of your brain to perform that function. Does it cause a major interference with other more complicated tasks I would say no -

While i am working around the house, repairs, inside or out- not using cutting tools i find that it also gives me time to think about issues that i need to address. So in reality i would say our brain is switching between tasks and we do not realize it for the most part. We do realize it when we are doing 2 things, 1 as you say a mindless task and something more complicated, we notice when we realize we made an error or missed something we normally would not. When that does ocurr we know that one task had interfered with the other. We were not giving it our complete attention. We all try to do these things and we all know what the results can be and where it originated. To much attention on one over the other, a distraction for example.

When it comes to those mindless tasks though, we come out ahead by multi-tasking, thus making it beneficial and completely possible. For example, a phone call can take me up to half an hour. Cleaning the bathroom can take me up to half an hour. But doing both at the same time, even if I were to mess something up because I was paying too much attention to my call, will still only take me about half an hour. If I were to come out with a time deficit... if it were to take me over an hour, or cause the bathroom to be filthy, or the phone call to be only half absorbed, then I'd agree that multi-tasking is impossible, but, it doesn't. It is completely possible, with CERTAIN tasks.
 
TenPenny
#132
I guess it boils down to the idea that if you define 'multitasking' as the way you want to, it's either possible or not.
 
Cliffy
#133
My ex used to say only women could multi-task. Men were incapable. From the discussion so far, it looks like she is right. Men don't believe it is possible because they can't, and the women believe it is possible because they can.
 
talloola
#134
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

My ex used to say only women could multi-task. Men were incapable. From the discussion so far, it looks like she is right. Men don't believe it is possible because they can't, and the women believe it is possible because they can.

when it comes to all of those everyday 'multi tasking' that women do all the time, because they have
to, because one can achieve success, finish everything, by multi tasking, it would be so time consuming
and inefficient, not to, and I have noticed men do not do this around the home. My husband has no
connection to that type of multi tasking around the house at any time, doesn't even think about it,
doesn't want to, and doesn't know how.

He can build houses, and do many other things connected to our lives, that I cannot do, or have chosen
not to learn, because I don't want to, so the combination of different types, makes our life 'in and
outside' of our house efficient. He just finished building a very lovely cedar addition on the back
of our house, over our patio, to completely close it in, with wire mesh windows, for 'my' cats, he
enjoyed doing it, made me very happy because he did it, and it looks professional, but when he does that type of work, he does
'just' that, and nothing else, and that is fine, no problem. (I did help him push up the walls) lol
now, years ago, when our children were young and all around the yard, with friends,
etc., if he was building that cat room, he would not have a clue what 'else' was
going on around him, he is engrossed in what he is doing, and that's that, and that
is OK, but I could never do that, too many things to think about at the same time,
whether they are mental physical, doesn't matter, sewing on the machine, beating up
something with mixer, my mind and ears were always in many different places at once.
 
Cliffy
#135
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

when it comes to all of those everyday 'multi tasking' that women do all the time, because they have
to, because one can achieve success, finish everything, by multi tasking, it would be so time consuming
and inefficient, not to, and I have noticed men do not do this around the home. My husband has no
connection to that type of multi tasking around the house at any time, doesn't even think about it,
doesn't want to, and doesn't know how.

He can build houses, and do many other things connected to our lives, that I cannot do, or have chosen
not to learn, because I don't want to, so the combination of different types, makes our life 'in and
outside' of our house efficient. He just finished building a very lovely cedar addition on the back
of our house, over our patio, to completely close it in, with wire mesh windows, for 'my' cats, he
enjoyed doing it, made me very happy because he did it, and it looks professional, but when he does that type of work, he does
'just' that, and nothing else, and that is fine, no problem. (I did help him push up the walls) lol
now, years ago, when our children were young and all around the yard, with friends,
etc., if he was building that cat room, he would not have a clue what 'else' was
going on around him, he is engrossed in what he is doing, and that's that, and that
is OK, but I could never do that, too many things to think about at the same time,
whether they are mental physical, doesn't matter, sewing on the machine, beating up
somelthing with mixer, my mind and ears were always in many different places at once.

I'm the same way. Building a house or addition requires so many different things to keep in mind that thinking of other stuff just makes to easier to screw things up. Same thing with mechanics and electrical jobs. I repair computers and that requires total concentration.

The other day I was cooking rice. Just put it on, so the stove was on high (until it boiled). Just put it on when there was a knock on the door. A friend dropped in. We got to chatting and the next thing I knew the kitchen was full of smoke. Another pot destroyed!
 
TenPenny
#136
Quote:

My ex used to say only women could multi-task. Men were incapable. From the discussion so far, it looks like she is right. Men don't believe it is possible because they can't, and the women believe it is possible because they can.

Last time I looked, I was a man, and I can multitask just fine, thanks.

Perhaps because I have a job where I have to do several things at once.

People shouldn't take their own shortcomings as indicative of humans in general.
 
gegilso
#137
You have a point, I've seen this day after day too. And I think I know the reason behind it. I am a 21 year old male, but i'm different from my peers. I was raised by women, I have never had a male figure in my life to look up to. My mother made sure I spoke proper english and used proper grammer. She made sure I was polite, we were poor because she had 13 children, so I had to work since I was 10 to support myself. I have been living on my own since I was 16, I joined the military and I married and now I have a son. I think you have to look at someone's experience. Most of these guys are babied, they don't have to do chores, they can get by doing bare minimum work, half-assing everything, they are not properly prepared for life by the time they are 18, and then they are unleashed into the world. It's a HUGE failure in parenting and education. Remember when teachers would smack your hands with a ruler and your parents would thank the teacher? Yeah those days are gone, our whole culture has deteriorated. It's sad but true. I am not afraid of our future though. I think it will have to reverse it self eventually. People will start seeing this and get really strict with our children. I can promise you all that my beautiful son will be well mannered, hard working, and independant by the time he's 8.
 
Goober
#138
Quote: Originally Posted by gegilsoView Post

You have a point, I've seen this day after day too. And I think I know the reason behind it. I am a 21 year old male, but i'm different from my peers. I was raised by women, I have never had a male figure in my life to look up to. My mother made sure I spoke proper english and used proper grammer. She made sure I was polite, we were poor because she had 13 children, so I had to work since I was 10 to support myself. I have been living on my own since I was 16, I joined the military and I married and now I have a son. I think you have to look at someone's experience. Most of these guys are babied, they don't have to do chores, they can get by doing bare minimum work, half-assing everything, they are not properly prepared for life by the time they are 18, and then they are unleashed into the world. It's a HUGE failure in parenting and education. Remember when teachers would smack your hands with a ruler and your parents would thank the teacher? Yeah those days are gone, our whole culture has deteriorated. It's sad but true. I am not afraid of our future though. I think it will have to reverse it self eventually. People will start seeing this and get really strict with our children. I can promise you all that my beautiful son will be well mannered, hard working, and independant by the time he's 8.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Will he have fun and enjoy himself while he makes this journmey of accomplishment - all by eight years old?
 
spilledthebeer
#139
So....my first thought was this: "oh, you must work in a govt office to be seeing such apathy and disinterest on the job"? But then I thought-nah-he must work in some place with a LOT of McJobs filled by minimum wage slaves!

A while back somebody-probably a kid-posted this: 10 Reasons Why baby boomers are the worst generation

Sold us into debt slavery, flooded our countries with excess labour, created fake economies that are pretty much relying soley on building homes for new arrivals even though there is little employment for them, starting wars they dont have the balls to finish and then demanding we import thousands if not millions of hostile resentful people from the regions we bombed, getting environmental after they all have bought their homes and lobbying the gov to not build on green space so house prices sky rocket due to supply and demand, unfunded pensions they didn't have the children to support or pay the taxes to support, divisive politics pitting women against men, out of guilt for their own racist past they sell grievance narratives to minorities to turn them against the least racist generation in the world, their own kids, I could go on all day.?



The kid has some points but I have some too-and I got a BIG LAUGH out of recent arguments between Boomers and Millenials and some questions come to my mind. Firstly-WHO raised these kids? Some Boomers apparently want to sneer at their own kids? WTF? YOU RAISED THEM!

Of course most of the Boomers whining about Millenials on this site are actually not just Boomers-they are civil service Working Family Hogs-a very special and entirely GREEDY and utterly selfish breed! Ordinary people who are of an age to be Boomers honestly recognize the pressures on kids today. But the Working Family Hogs are enraged at the kids because the kids are not earning enough money to keep the Hogs properly in RICH Gravy as they `deserve`!

Yes-the Hogs ruin the economy with their endless greed and job killing taxes. and the Hogs elect LIE-beral govts that are prepared to BURY us in debt.....just so long as LIE-berals get Hog votes and power-its an unholy alliance of GREED and convenience. And then the Hogs want to SNEER at the kids for being broke! Hogs sneer at kids who cannot find any sensible way to fit into our debt hobbled/taxed to the max CRIPPLED economy!

I was in a shopping mall recently sitting quietly and a kid came in with his mother and met the boys father-obviously the parents are divorced and sorting out parental access as the kid gets handed over from Mom to Dad in this neutral mall setting.

The kid starts talking to Dad about a toy he has been saving to buy-but he isn`t sure he has the money. Dad questions and is told by kid-ďI have five Ten dollar billsĒ.

Dad points out that the kids money is equal to 5 times ten and what is the answer to that math question?

The kid puzzles for a bit and then starts counting on his fingers-halts-starts again-STARTS AGAIN-THREE times and then comes up with the answer: I have fifty five dollars?

Father struggles for a bit not to blow a gasket and starts asking the kid some questions about his school progress and thatís how I learn the kid is part way through SIXTH GRADE! Yes-the kid is in sixth grade and does NOT know the answer to the question FIVE MULTIPLIED BY TEN! And I have to ask: ďwhat do they do all day in schoolĒ? They sure donít learn spelling or grammar or geography-and clearly donít learn much math either!

And yet we have teacher Hogs demanding that the literacy tests mandated by Conservative Mike Harris be scrapped as teachers think they are un-necessary! As if any parent with an ounce of concern for the future welfare of their kids would ever trust teachers again regarding literacy standards! Any parent who has read a modern report card KNOWS that the comments made by teachers re the kids progress are totally disconnected to real actual measurable progress!

And lets look at the kids-the great mass of doorknobs out there who donít like the situation they are in-the least intelligent are dead broke-semi employed- struggling with McJobs while the more strong willed ones work through one UNPAID ****ty intern or poorly paid contract position after another while Hogs elect LIE-beral govts that will BURY generations of kids in massive debt......and THEN the kids throw away the ONE TOOL that can change the situation-they DONíT VOTE!

Do the stupid children not understand the concept of democracy and fail to recognize that govt is influenced by votes cast in elections? Are they that poorly educated? Do they truly NOT realize how sensitive political egos are? The average member of parliament spends over ONE hundred thousand dollars on a campaign-how do you think they feel when they run THIRD in an election? SKEWER the SWINE-pop a PROPERLY marked ballot into that oh so soft and sensitive ego!! Take them OUT!

At this time employed Cdns are paying out over FIFTY PERCENT of their yearly earnings in TAXES-and STILL the debts spiral UP. Thirty billion in new debt this year in Ottawa-with MANY billions PROMISED by our brainless Boy to come in years ahead, ten billion more in Alberta, another fourteen billion in New Brunswick, billions more in Quebec, billions owed by Ontario Power Generation, many HUNDRED billions owed in LIE-beral pension promises to Ontari-owe teachers and other such Hogs. Do our kids not understand the concept of interest-compounded and amortized? Do our kids not understand that govt gets its cut FIRST-long before the kids get a chance at whatever crumbs the Hogs and LIE-berals choose to leave therm?

And in between elections, why should a kid not relax and lay about? What can the kid DO with the pennies earned from McJobs? The cost of an apt is out of reach on minimum wage. A car is an extravagance-even for a kid living with the parents-and in fact in recent years the number of kids (aged 16 to 24) holding drivers licences has DROPPED by over TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT! Surely the Boomers remember the joy of getting that licence and becoming free and MOBILE adults? But NOT our kids-they donít get to play! Our LIE-beral govt tells us that owning a car is a privilege and frankly itís a privilege our govt WANTS to deny to most of us! They tell us itís a climate change initiative but its really about getting the riff-raff OFF the roads so important people can motor FREELY!

As for buying a house-what a JOKE-with house prices rising at 10-20 percent per year and kids getting pennies when LIE-berals raise the minimum wage. The money available to kids these days is a joke compared to housing and insurance costs!

And now all the Hogs are bristling at my words-SQUEALING about how they worked and saved and built themselves up and modern kids should do the same! And I think of a day I was sitting in a company lunch room listening to a 25 year old kid trying to celebrate his birthday-and he was comparing his life to that of his parents.

The 25 year old is living with the parents and working part time-because part time is all he can find-and trying to save money to PAY for his last two years of university and once that is done then he has to find a job and pray that he will get paid enough to handle both his Hog mandated school debts, his LIE-beral mandated taxes AND the travel expenses to get out of Durham Region-with its massive employment problems and set himself up where-ever the new job is-and then hope the employer does not relocate to China or some damned place before kid gets his debts paid and he ends up back in his parents basement!

And the kid points out that at age 25, HIS father was married, owned a house and a car and had a steady job at General Motors! Hogs who sneer at apathetic kids do not care to recognize the truth of what they have done to the younger generation with endless economy killing debt and their GROSS ENTITLEMENTS!

I donít know how things turned out for that 25 year old-I moved on to other business and never went back to that lunch room-and a while later the company that owned the lunch room died along with a lot of other local GM subsidiaries-I do hope that kid got his money before the collapse cause he is going to have a HELL of a time replacing that McJob anywhere in Durham Region at this time!

And our LIE-beral govt tells us that having a drivers licence and owning a car are a PRIVILEGE-yet Durham Region employers have a slot on their job applications regarding if you own a car and what kind and year, make and model and mileage on it as well as they cherry pick through the poor kids to determine which ones will be able to show up regularly for work in a RELIABLE CAR! For Durham Region kids the equation is simple-if you have a car you can get a McJob-but if you donít have a car then you can **** OFF-you are worthless! And of course the McJob does NOT pay enough to maintain the car-so is it any wonder kids end up digging into parents wallets and sleeping till noon?

Govt numbers suggest that one car in four on Ontari-owe roads has problems with the paperwork-no drivers licence, no up to date drive clean test-nor proper registration, no insurance, failed a safety check etc. In dead broke-badly financed Durham Region the number of cars not properly set up for the road is one in THREE-and CLIMBING! Govt and its Hog allies are turning some of us into cheats and liars and making the rest of us take to our beds in disgust!

On a per capita basis-for every dollar that the province gives to LIE-beral friendly Toronto citizens, they give TEN CENTS to Durham Region citizens....an d then Lie-berals wonder why we wont vote LIE-beral!

And even when LIE-berals set out to help us, they SCREW UP-just look at your auto insurance bill! A FIFTEEN PERCENT reduction is what those LIE-berals promised-but what they DID NOT tell us is that the 15 percent reduction in cost would come with a FIFTY PERCENT REDUCTION in benefits! Nor did they mention that they would be CUTTING WAY BACK on snow clearing from our roads-so we would have more knuckleheads crashing their cars!


Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Younger Generation - Dumb or Stupid or Both- Yes or No

I see in my work a large number of 18 to 25 or year old persons

I see some in supervisory position with no interpersonal skills what so ever. And yes they send emails and cannot even be bothered to use the auto spell check.

I see employees that have the same talents as mentioned above

I see many who need help to even change their mind - the inability to think a simple problem through to a conclusion is unbelievable

I see this day after day.

I see a lack of ethics - both moral and work - They will blame someone else when something goes wrong instead of facing the music.

I see losers that will go through life complaining about everything that is wrong yet do nothing to change the situation

And yes men are the majority.

And no this is not all but a substantial number.

Then I see the others that will be highly successful in life.



 
Cannuck
#140
Relative to some of the idiots here that are long in the tooth, I find the younger generation quite smart.

I read some of Goober's post on the first page of this thread and it gave me quite a laugh.
 
spilledthebeer
#141
How is it that we are discussing the IQ of the younger generation when there is so much stupidity to go around for multiple generations? Lets look at the dorks who voted for Our brainless Boy Justin......WITHOUT noticing that his so called plan to save the middle class happens to be a larger, more costly,more damaging version of the NDP/Bob (BOOB!) Rae plan to spend Ontari-owe rich-from the late 1980`s?

How is it that some people believed that Our idiot Boy Justin was some sort of "environmentalist"? Instead of seeing him as the cynical vote stealing clod that he is? Our Boy has a nice environmental stance that let him steal votes from the Green Party flakes......WITHOUT requiring Our idiot Boy to actually PROVE his position?

If Our idiot Boy really was an environmentalist then why kill off the transit riders tax deduction for Cdn tax payers? Our idiot Boy has not come up with any real money to EXPAND GTA transit so maybe he ought to at least leave the transit tax refund in place as its better than nothing?

And why not refer to Green Party members as "flakes" since no Greenie apparently has noticed that their party policy is a rehash of most of the failed and rejected Pierre Trudeau era LIE-beral policy? Do Cdns REALLY WANT a re-hash of the Trudope "National Energy Policy" that produced those "Let the Eastern Bastards Freeze in the Dark" bumper stickers that were so popular out west for so many years?

Do Cdns really WANT ANOTHER govt owned Petro Canada money pit? Govt owned Petro Canada competed head to head with companies like Exon.....with Petro Canada given FREE access to Cdn oil fields that Exon had to PAY FOR.......and Exon made a profit while Petro Canada drowned us in DEBT! Do Cdns want to see a Green govt do to their nayural gas and electricity service the same sort of clever madness that prompted LIE-berals to create Petro Canada?

Cdns were horrified last spring when Ontari-owe LIE-berals mused about the value of forcing us to stop heating our homes with natural gas and forcing us to use electricity instead......and yet this is EXACTLY the type of loonie leftist govt interference we will get on a HUGE SCALE if Greens ever gain substantial political power! And WHICH GENERATION has not noticed any of this?

The kids are saddled with massive school debt incurred in a near hopeless attempt to BUY a decent job. Kids are being milked dry by insane LIE-beral taxes. The kids are being drafted into McJobs- the only work available-with no hope of ever owning a car much less a house-while our LIE-beral govt brings in people from all over the world and gives them a hand up and hand out.......and to make matters worse-too many of the newcomers are people who may decide to run us over or blow us up if we don't kiss their backsides.

Kids are being called rude names while being made to put up with crap that the previous generation would have run riot over!
 
Kreskin
+5
#142  Top Rated Post
The younger generation is light years ahead of lunkheads who hang around here.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#143
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

The younger generation is light years ahead of lunkheads who hang around here.

You and I have hung arround here for a bit Kreskin.
 
Ludlow
+1
#144
Younger generation are much more intelligent than us greasy old know it all bastards.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#145
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Younger generation are much more intelligent than us greasy old know it all bastards.

I 'd like to think that you were right Ludlow but I hesitate to agree because I have so many nieces nephews and offspring who are while resonably smart book wise have not grasped the value and utility of sweat equity yet, though I preach till exhausted. They live in the middle of the forest and cannot see thier future houses. Most are in thier early thirtys and have not laid foundations yet. At that age I already had gotten a shovel and a cement mixer and a big hole in the ground and was well on the way to debt freedom.
Last edited by darkbeaver; 5 days ago at 04:57 PM..
 
JLM
#146
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Younger generation are much more intelligent than us greasy old know it all bastards.


In some ways.

Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

I 'd like to think that you were right Ludlow but I hesitate to agree because I have so many nieces nephews and offspring who are while resonably smart book wise have not grasped the value and utility of sweat equity yet, though I preach till exhausted. They live in the middle of the forest and cannot see thier future houses. Most are in thier early thirtys and have not laid foundations yet. At that age I already had gotten a shovel and a cement mixer and a big hole in the ground and was well on the way to debt freedom.


Yeah, you've summed it up well. How would today's generation fare, if one morning when they woke up they found it was Oct. 29, 1929?
 
gerryh
#147
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

In some ways.




Yeah, you've summed it up well. How would today's generation fare, if one morning when they woke up they found it was Oct. 29, 1929?


They would do just fine.
 
pgs
+2
#148
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

They would do just fine.

Where would they get their I-pods from ?
 
Murphy
+2
#149
I'm okay with the younger crowd. They're just new. Everyone is new once. Except Cliffy.
 
selfsame
#150
I thought it may only be here in Iraq or other Arab countries .. but it seems universal and everywhere.

E.g. the news broadcaster: he makes many grammar mistakes .. in the past, the news broadcaster was very efficient in the language grammar and usage .. he had to pass a hard exam and should have a good certificate of graduation; now they don't pay attention to such things ... (although it may not be such an important or serious thing in fact.)

Some blame the new generation for some moral or ethical points .. while it is the heart and mind is the important thing .. and the new generations may prove better than the older generation.

Of course, this does not mean that I approve the non-moral or non-ethical acts .. but in fact it is with all generations : the new and the old; the old generation also had many things to be blamed about.
 

Similar Threads

14
stupid stupid stupid world we live in
by Haggis McBagpipe | Aug 30th, 2005
no new posts