Younger Generation - Dumb or Stupid or Both- Yes or No

MaynardKing
here is another great article. I really like this one, because i love the show arrested development and its the title.
Ten Million Slaves: ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT (external - login to view)

I think there is a common agreement that television is playing a major role in brainwashing the young generation, that and rap music..

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

God Help me - Now it is 2 Stubborn women - Send help and perhaps the Arch Angel St Micheal - Yes John Travolta will work.

and, I didn't 'just' say "Ok" when he called me I said "I'm typing right now, I'll be there in a minute".
and didn't stop for a second, completed my post, sent it off, then went to the living room.

mothers who have babies,young children, a house to care for, cooking on the go, do multi tasking a lot
during the day. breast feeding, while stirring food on the stove, answering the 4 year old at the
same time, when they ask you "is this the way mamma"?, listening for stove alarms, washing machine signals,
and always thinking about which thing is priority to do next, while still doing this one, watching the
clock to figure out when to put certain foods in the oven, or when to pick someone up from school, and
be to an appointment on time, and make sure temperature is set properly, and timer is correct.
I also did lots of sewing, made many articles of clothing, so at times I was hand sewing while doing
others things as well, you know, it's just life, that's the way it is, doesn't mean anyone is smarter
than anyone else, just made differently.

My husband use to be a sawyer in the mill, had to sit and enter many numbers all day long to saw the
logs, took lots of concentration and knowledge, but he didn't have to breast feed a baby while doing
it, or make sure other children are safe and not in trouble, and make dinner, mix up a cake, etc.

I could have learned to be a sawyer too, but once I learned, I would have gone crazy shut up in that
little cubicle all day, as I need to have a variety of things to do, and being at home doing lots of
things made me happy, and yes, multi tasking on many occasions.

I'm not stubborn at all. lol lol

karrie

God Help me - Now it is 2 Stubborn women - Send help and perhaps the Arch Angel St Micheal - Yes John Travolta will work.

stubborn? us? Who's married to the idea that mutlitasking is impossible? lol.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

stubborn? us? Who's married to the idea that mutlitasking is impossible? lol.

I am not married yet- I do believe as per the experts that Multi-Tasking is impossible. That is not stubborn -

JLM

I am not married yet- I do believe as per the experts that Multi-Tasking is impossible. That is not stubborn -

I agree with you Goober (much to Karrie's and Talloola's chagrin ) where multitasking involves thought. (Chewing gum doesn't count)

karrie

I agree that the parameters that they discuss do not work for multi-tasking. They are discussing mental tasks, and business implementation of multi-tasking. For example, it's been shown that something as simple as trying to answer e-mails while focusing on a project at work, can actually make you take longer to do both, than it would take you if you just turned off your e-mail notifications and finished the project before opening your e-mails and addressing them all at once. Mental multi-tasking.

But there are things which multi-task together just fine... mindless labour with a mental task works just fine. If you can find an expert that says otherwise, let me know.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I agree with you Goober (much to Karrie's and Talloola's chagrin ) where multitasking involves thought. (Chewing gum doesn't count)

why would this be to my chagrin? Did you actually read my posts?

JLM
[QUOTE=karrie;

why would this be to my chagrin? Did you actually read my posts?[/QUOTE]

Post 106.

karrie
you mean the one where I said it's easy to multi-task so long as only one task requires thought, which you just actually agreed with?

JLM

you mean the one where I said it's easy to multi-task so long as only one task requires thought, which you just actually agreed with?

OK, Karrie- you win this one. I guess when you said "Bull" to my post it kind of threw me.

Goober

I agree that the parameters that they discuss do not work for multi-tasking. They are discussing mental tasks, and business implementation of multi-tasking. For example, it's been shown that something as simple as trying to answer e-mails while focusing on a project at work, can actually make you take longer to do both, than it would take you if you just turned off your e-mail notifications and finished the project before opening your e-mails and addressing them all at once. Mental multi-tasking.

But there are things which multi-task together just fine... mindless labour with a mental task works just fine. If you can find an expert that says otherwise, let me know.

why would this be to my chagrin? Did you actually read my posts?

The mindless task such as cleaning a tub, or things of that nature while done time and time again still require part of your brain to perform that function. Does it cause a major interference with other more complicated tasks I would say no -

While i am working around the house, repairs, inside or out- not using cutting tools i find that it also gives me time to think about issues that i need to address. So in reality i would say our brain is switching between tasks and we do not realize it for the most part. We do realize it when we are doing 2 things, 1 as you say a mindless task and something more complicated, we notice when we realize we made an error or missed something we normally would not. When that does ocurr we know that one task had interfered with the other. We were not giving it our complete attention. We all try to do these things and we all know what the results can be and where it originated. To much attention on one over the other, a distraction for example.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

OK, Karrie- you win this one. I guess when you said "Bull" to my post it kind of threw me.

Aw, I'll be nicer.

The mindless task such as cleaning a tub, or things of that nature while done time and time again still require part of your brain to perform that function. Does it cause a major interference with other more complicated tasks I would say no -

While i am working around the house, repairs, inside or out- not using cutting tools i find that it also gives me time to think about issues that i need to address. So in reality i would say our brain is switching between tasks and we do not realize it for the most part. We do realize it when we are doing 2 things, 1 as you say a mindless task and something more complicated, we notice when we realize we made an error or missed something we normally would not. When that does ocurr we know that one task had interfered with the other. We were not giving it our complete attention. We all try to do these things and we all know what the results can be and where it originated. To much attention on one over the other, a distraction for example.

When it comes to those mindless tasks though, we come out ahead by multi-tasking, thus making it beneficial and completely possible. For example, a phone call can take me up to half an hour. Cleaning the bathroom can take me up to half an hour. But doing both at the same time, even if I were to mess something up because I was paying too much attention to my call, will still only take me about half an hour. If I were to come out with a time deficit... if it were to take me over an hour, or cause the bathroom to be filthy, or the phone call to be only half absorbed, then I'd agree that multi-tasking is impossible, but, it doesn't. It is completely possible, with CERTAIN tasks.

TenPenny
I guess it boils down to the idea that if you define 'multitasking' as the way you want to, it's either possible or not.

Cliffy
My ex used to say only women could multi-task. Men were incapable. From the discussion so far, it looks like she is right. Men don't believe it is possible because they can't, and the women believe it is possible because they can.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

My ex used to say only women could multi-task. Men were incapable. From the discussion so far, it looks like she is right. Men don't believe it is possible because they can't, and the women believe it is possible because they can.

when it comes to all of those everyday 'multi tasking' that women do all the time, because they have
to, because one can achieve success, finish everything, by multi tasking, it would be so time consuming
and inefficient, not to, and I have noticed men do not do this around the home. My husband has no
connection to that type of multi tasking around the house at any time, doesn't even think about it,
doesn't want to, and doesn't know how.

He can build houses, and do many other things connected to our lives, that I cannot do, or have chosen
not to learn, because I don't want to, so the combination of different types, makes our life 'in and
outside' of our house efficient. He just finished building a very lovely cedar addition on the back
of our house, over our patio, to completely close it in, with wire mesh windows, for 'my' cats, he
enjoyed doing it, made me very happy because he did it, and it looks professional, but when he does that type of work, he does
'just' that, and nothing else, and that is fine, no problem. (I did help him push up the walls) lol
now, years ago, when our children were young and all around the yard, with friends,
etc., if he was building that cat room, he would not have a clue what 'else' was
going on around him, he is engrossed in what he is doing, and that's that, and that
is OK, but I could never do that, too many things to think about at the same time,
whether they are mental physical, doesn't matter, sewing on the machine, beating up
something with mixer, my mind and ears were always in many different places at once.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

when it comes to all of those everyday 'multi tasking' that women do all the time, because they have
to, because one can achieve success, finish everything, by multi tasking, it would be so time consuming
and inefficient, not to, and I have noticed men do not do this around the home. My husband has no
connection to that type of multi tasking around the house at any time, doesn't even think about it,
doesn't want to, and doesn't know how.

He can build houses, and do many other things connected to our lives, that I cannot do, or have chosen
not to learn, because I don't want to, so the combination of different types, makes our life 'in and
outside' of our house efficient. He just finished building a very lovely cedar addition on the back
of our house, over our patio, to completely close it in, with wire mesh windows, for 'my' cats, he
enjoyed doing it, made me very happy because he did it, and it looks professional, but when he does that type of work, he does
'just' that, and nothing else, and that is fine, no problem. (I did help him push up the walls) lol
now, years ago, when our children were young and all around the yard, with friends,
etc., if he was building that cat room, he would not have a clue what 'else' was
going on around him, he is engrossed in what he is doing, and that's that, and that
is OK, but I could never do that, too many things to think about at the same time,
whether they are mental physical, doesn't matter, sewing on the machine, beating up
somelthing with mixer, my mind and ears were always in many different places at once.

I'm the same way. Building a house or addition requires so many different things to keep in mind that thinking of other stuff just makes to easier to screw things up. Same thing with mechanics and electrical jobs. I repair computers and that requires total concentration.

The other day I was cooking rice. Just put it on, so the stove was on high (until it boiled). Just put it on when there was a knock on the door. A friend dropped in. We got to chatting and the next thing I knew the kitchen was full of smoke. Another pot destroyed!

TenPenny
Quote:

Last time I looked, I was a man, and I can multitask just fine, thanks.

Perhaps because I have a job where I have to do several things at once.

People shouldn't take their own shortcomings as indicative of humans in general.

gegilso
You have a point, I've seen this day after day too. And I think I know the reason behind it. I am a 21 year old male, but i'm different from my peers. I was raised by women, I have never had a male figure in my life to look up to. My mother made sure I spoke proper english and used proper grammer. She made sure I was polite, we were poor because she had 13 children, so I had to work since I was 10 to support myself. I have been living on my own since I was 16, I joined the military and I married and now I have a son. I think you have to look at someone's experience. Most of these guys are babied, they don't have to do chores, they can get by doing bare minimum work, half-assing everything, they are not properly prepared for life by the time they are 18, and then they are unleashed into the world. It's a HUGE failure in parenting and education. Remember when teachers would smack your hands with a ruler and your parents would thank the teacher? Yeah those days are gone, our whole culture has deteriorated. It's sad but true. I am not afraid of our future though. I think it will have to reverse it self eventually. People will start seeing this and get really strict with our children. I can promise you all that my beautiful son will be well mannered, hard working, and independant by the time he's 8.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by gegilsoView Post

You have a point, I've seen this day after day too. And I think I know the reason behind it. I am a 21 year old male, but i'm different from my peers. I was raised by women, I have never had a male figure in my life to look up to. My mother made sure I spoke proper english and used proper grammer. She made sure I was polite, we were poor because she had 13 children, so I had to work since I was 10 to support myself. I have been living on my own since I was 16, I joined the military and I married and now I have a son. I think you have to look at someone's experience. Most of these guys are babied, they don't have to do chores, they can get by doing bare minimum work, half-assing everything, they are not properly prepared for life by the time they are 18, and then they are unleashed into the world. It's a HUGE failure in parenting and education. Remember when teachers would smack your hands with a ruler and your parents would thank the teacher? Yeah those days are gone, our whole culture has deteriorated. It's sad but true. I am not afraid of our future though. I think it will have to reverse it self eventually. People will start seeing this and get really strict with our children. I can promise you all that my beautiful son will be well mannered, hard working, and independant by the time he's 8.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Will he have fun and enjoy himself while he makes this journmey of accomplishment - all by eight years old?