Would you fly in a 737 Max 8 right now?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
A family friend of ours is a veteran flight attendant.They really don't like the "Max" for a lot of reasons. It's jam-crammed inside and is a hard plane to work on. The lavatories are so tiny that one has to back into them as there is no room to turn around inside. The galley, serving facilities were not designed for the possibility that real human beings might have to work in them. The passengers are so tightly packed in the cabin that the seat-back TV screens are a foot from your face ... not for the claustrophobic!

So, the "Max" part of the 737 Max is maximizing profits, maximizing the amount of human flesh that can be crammed into an aluminum tube. (See the layout of an 18th century Slaver full of manacled Africans) It is not designed very ergonomically and by the sounds of the defect list coming to light, nor designed very well generally. That flight attendant will be quite happy if they never fly, again.

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Big Bay, Awhitu, New Zealand
Doomed, I say.
“An airline dropped a US$6 billion (NZ$9 billion) order for Boeing's embattled 737 Max planes, turning to European rival Airbus instead to grow its fleet as the crisis with the aircraft continues.

Saudi Arabian airline Flyadeal reversed its plans to buy 50 of the 737 Max jets, announcing that it will order up to 50 planes from Airbus' A320neo family – the Max's rival.

It said its parent company, Saudi Arabian Airlines Corporation, made the deal at the Paris Air Show in June, and that the allocation of the planes to Flyadeal will mean that the airline has an all-Airbus fleet.”
More
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/114087189/saudi-airline-drops-9-billion-boeing-737-max-order

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Looks good on them after they tried to screw Canada with their 250% tariff on Bombardier as part of Trump's unsuccessful attack on NAFTA.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Boeing has turned what should have been a problem into a disaster.

And the tariff comment is apt. It illustrates that that this company has been skating by on government largesse.

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
OH, NO !!!
737MAX problems continue.
"Boeing shares continued their slide Monday after explosive messages last week revealed a top pilot had concerns about a system on the 737 Max that was later implicated in two fatal crashes.
Several Wall Street analysts downgraded Boeing, fretting about the fallout from the crisis that has barred the manufacturer from delivering its best-selling planes that make up around 40% of its profit.
Boeing’s stock fell 3.8% Monday to a two-month low of $331.06, shaving 88 points off the Dow Jones Industrial Average, but had pared losses from earlier in the session.
The messages made public Friday included an exchange from a top Boeing pilot to a colleague in 2016 that expressed his worries about an aggressive flight control system on the Max, whose performance he called “egregious.” The pilot, who now works for Southwest, said in the exchange that he “unknowingly” lied to regulators. That same pilot months later told the FAA to remove the system, known as MCAS, from pilot procedures and training materials.
The FAA said Boeing knew about the messages for months and scolded Boeing in a letter for not releasing the documents earlier. Boeing defended its training materials for the 737 Max, which regulators deemed safe in 2017, and said it told regulators on “multiple occasions” about the broadened capabilities of the now-questioned system.
UBS on Monday downgraded Boeing to a neutral rating from buy.
“Our working thesis has been that the failures on the 737 Max development by the company centered on fault intolerant design compounded by poor assumptions of pilot response,” it wrote in its downgrade. “We now have to append that assessment further based on source material provided to Congress and the FAA on Friday that reinforces the perception of and heightens the potential of incomplete disclosure, which inherently puts more money/trust & time at stake.”
Boeing’s board is holding a regularly scheduled meeting in San Antonio that concludes Monday, a spokesman said. The board stripped CEO Dennis Muilenburg of his chairmanship on Oct. 11 to focus on getting the Max back into service."
more
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/21/boe...deepen-taking-arilines-suppliers-with-it.html
China has an order for 100.
Lets see if they make Trump dance.

AnnaEmber

Council Member
Aug 31, 2019
Kootenays BC
No 737s, thanks. I'll stick with Cessna 182B, Piper J-3, DeHavilland DHC-2, or a Cirrus Vision for private planes and a Boeing 717 or a Bombardier CRJ commercially.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
No 737s, thanks. I'll stick with Cessna 182B, Piper J-3, DeHavilland DHC-2, or a Cirrus Vision for private planes and a Boeing 717 or a Bombardier CRJ commercially.
Ever fly in a Hercules Transport?

It's a tank with wings that can carry a small tank.

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Ever fly in a Hercules Transport?
It's a tank with wings that can carry a small tank.
I used to shoot for Canadian Aviation mag. and myself and the editor rented a Beechcraft Bonanza from YYZ to Summerside P.E.I.
We stayed as guests of the Canadian Forces and I got to photograph the last flight of the Canadair CP-107 ARGUS out of the back of a Herc loading ramp as she did low passes over that Bud the spud red mud, on Prince Edward Island.
The images now reside with Larry Milberry, editor and publisher of CanAv Books, down in the Beaches. T.O.
(Takes bow)

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I used to shoot for Canadian Aviation mag. and myself and the editor rented a Beechcraft Bonanza from YYZ to Summerside P.E.I.
We stayed as guests of the Canadian Forces and I got to photograph the last flight of the Canadair CP-107 ARGUS out of the back of a Herc loading ramp as she did low passes over that Bud the spud red mud, on Prince Edward Island.
The images now reside with Larry Milberry, editor and publisher of CanAv Books, down in the Beaches. T.O.
(Takes bow)
My father did his advanced navigational training from Summerside, circa 1942, in Ansons.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Remains of 7 Canadians who died in Ethiopian Airlines crash return home
Canadian Press
Published:
October 22, 2019
Updated:
October 22, 2019 6:09 PM EDT
In this file photo taken on March 11, 2019, people stand near collected debris at the crash site of Ethiopia Airlines near Bishoftu, a town some 60 kilometres southeast of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. (MICHAEL TEWELDE/AFP via Getty Images)
TORONTO — A Toronto man saw a months-long wait draw to a bittersweet end on Tuesday as he returned to Canada with the bodies of two relatives who were killed in the crash of an Ethiopian Airlines plane this year.
Mohamad Ali said he waited seven months before he was cleared to go to Ethiopia and retrieve the remains of his sister Amina Odowa and her five-year-old daughter Sophia Abdulkadir.
The two were among 18 Canadians who died in March when the plane went down en route to Kenya, killing all 157 people on board.
Ali said touching their caskets for the first time brought him a sense of lightness, energy, and a measure of peace.
“Coming with them all the way, I feel their presence all over me right now,” Ali said. “This is very important. It feels good now they are with us.”
Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet,
but your article continues below.
Boeing to pay 737 MAX crash victims' families US$144,500 each
Ethiopian Airlines crash victims want 737 MAX documents from Boeing, FAA
'AN INSULT TO HUMANITY': Toronto man who lost family in Ethiopian plane crash testifies at U.S. Congress
The mother and daughter were among a group of seven Canadians who were repatriated at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport on Tuesday morning. But the journey for Odowa and Sophia is set to continue through the week.
Ali said he plans to fly with his sister and niece’s remains to Edmonton on Tuesday night and bury them side-by-side on Friday in a small Muslim ceremony.
He said doing so will allow Odowa’s mother and her other two daughters, ages four and eight, to visit her grave and say prayers.
Ali said the burial will help bring the closure that’s proved elusive for the family since the crash, adding the wait to claim their bodies was particularly trying.
“We’ve been very unsettled,” he said. “We couldn’t do a lot of things like move forward because we were on standby the last seven months, waiting for the remains to come.”
The Ethiopian Airlines flight left the capital city of Addis Ababa on its way to Nairobi, Kenya, on March 10. The Boeing 737 Max 8 plane crashed just six minutes into the flight.
The incident was strikingly similar to last year’s crash of a Lion Air jet in Indonesia, which involved the same type of aircraft coming to harm moments after takeoff.
The crashes prompted a widespread grounding of the 737 Max 8 while concerns about its safety were investigated.
In several lawsuits filed on behalf of Canadian victims of the Ethiopian Airlines crash, plaintiffs allege the pilots were in a tug-of-war with the plane’s automated flight system, manually trying to climb while the computer caused the craft to dive repeatedly and ultimately crash.
Canadian victims included a renowned Carleton University professor, an accountant with the City of Calgary and a 24-year-old Winnipeg woman on her way to the United Nations Environment Assembly.
American authorities including the United States House of Representatives, the Department of Justice and the Transportation Department inspector general are investigating how the Max 8 was certified for flight by the Federal Aviation Administration.
— With files from the Associated Press
http://torontosun.com/news/national...-died-in-ethiopian-airlines-crash-return-home

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lots of planes been called that. Apparently the 104 was called that by West Germans.
"There were 110 class A accidents in the 25 years that Canada operated the CF-104 resulting in 37 pilot fatalities. Most of these were in the early part of the program centering on teething problems. Of the 110 class A accidents 21 were attributed to foreign object damage (14 of which were birds), 14 were in flight engine failures, 6 were faulty maintenance, 9 were mid air collisions. 32 struck the ground flying at low level in poor weather conditions. Of the 37 fatalities 4 were clearly attributable to systems failures, all of the others were attributable to some form of pilot inattention.
The CF-104 was nicknamed the "Widowmaker" by the press but not by the pilots and crews of the aircraft. David Bashow states on page 92 of his book "I never heard a pilot call it the Widowmaker". Sam Firth is quoted on page 93 in Bashow's book "I have never heard a single person who flew, maintained, controlled, or guarded that aircraft of any force (and that includes the Luftwaffe) call it the Widowmaker". The pilots did refer to it, in jest, as the "Aluminium Death Tube", "The Lawn Dart" and "The Flying Phallus" but generally called it the 104 (one oh four) or the Starfighter"

Wiki