World Loves Canada: Voted Second Best Nation

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
We're #2! We're #2! in your face U.S.A. who came in at #11.

http://www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca/displayarticle691.html

In Global Ranking Of Country Brands Canada Ranks 2nd

The Anholt-GMI Nation Brand Index (NBI), the only analytical ranking of the world’s nation brands, found that Canada is the second most favorite country in the world. This second quarterly NBI surveyed 10,000 people in 10 countries on 25 nations in six different areas, including investment, tourism, people and culture. Canada, a new country in the poll, overtook second place from the UK, which ranked number two in the first NBI in May 2005.

In most areas - best places to work and live, expand business, people, and governance – Canada came in right after Australia, showing that the country’s positive reputation continues to remain strong.

Unlike Canada’s neighbor and close ally the United States, which ranks 11th; globally, the government is seen as neutral, with the majority of those polled describing the government as trust-worthy. Adding to this perception, is the fact that Canada ranks number two, after Switzerland, on overall governance, as well as on how much people around the world trust the country’s government to make responsible decisions and uphold international peace and security. But, it might appear that a large part of the world’s perception of Canada can be attributed to how they feel about Canadians: the people came in second place in the hospitable category, right after Australians.

"The NBI is designed to measure the real underlying brand power of each country, something that takes generations to build and change," said Simon Anholt, co-author of the NBI and leading nation brand expert. "With a stable, liberal and democratic government and a healthcare system envied by its neighbors –justified or not – Canada is clearly a strong brand that goes beyond the borders of its hemisphere."

Canada’s Global Rankings in Six Areas

1. Investment & Immigration Overall 2
** Live & Work 2
** Expand Business 3

2. Tourism 3

3. People 2
** Hiring 3

4. Cultural & Heritage Overall 18
** Popular Culture 14
** Cultural Heritage 20

5. Governance 2

6. Exports
** Brands/Products 11

Although Canada ranked high in certain areas, it didn’t fair so well in culture, coming in towards the bottom five at 20th place, after Switzerland, Mexico, New Zealand, and Germany. Furthermore, with respondents ranking it 14th when asked if they would be interested in cultural activity (e.g. buying a record, going to a show) coming out of Canada, this is not a strong area for the country. Despite popular icons and activities, such as Sarah McLachlan, Keanu Reeves, Neil Young, ice hockey and a thriving film industry – these factors haven’t impacted how the world sees Canada in either heritage or pop culture areas.

Anholt adds: "Canada’s low ranking in culture is somewhat troubling, considering this is a real indication of how people feel about a country. On the flip side, it seems that Canadians have made quite the positive impression. This could be attributed to Canadians who have traveled the world, worked abroad, or from foreigners visiting the country. These factors obviously have had an enormous impact, but Canada could work harder on improving its product brand image."

An area where Canada ranked relatively low was in product branding, coming in 11th place, after South Korea, Sweden, The Netherlands and the U.S. One of the reasons may be due to the fact that when most respondents think of Canadian products, they chose the non-consumer category - heavy industry – and product brands in this category are generally not well-known (e.g. Alcan, Inc., Zenon Environmental).

"The NBI is just one example of how technology can help poll a broad base of the world’s population to get an accurate reading on something as important as global opinion of nation brands," said Mitch Eggers, Ph.D, vice president of global research operations for GMI. "As this becomes one of the world’s largest regular polls, gauging consumer attitudes in incredible detail and quality, the more valuable it will become as a tool to help governments and organizations develop a plan of action to address these strongly held perceptions."

Complete ranking of all 25 nation brands:
1. Australia
2. Canada
3. Switzerland
4. UK
5. Sweden
6. Italy
7. Germany
8. Netherlands
9. France
10. New Zealand
11. United States
12. Spain
13. Ireland
14. Japan
15. Brazil
16. Mexico
17. Egypt
18. India
19. Poland
20. South Korea
21. China
22. South Africa
23. Czech Republic
24. Russia
25. Turkey

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
This is nice to read /hear.......but let's not get pompous about it. :wink:

Let the nation speak for itself. :wink:

Good for Australia. (no. one)

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
This isn’t a measurement of anything real.

It is about the impression of Canada and things Canadian as a brand — our image.

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
Hello Everyone !

I have just joined the community, primarily to learn and obtain information about Canada, it's cultures, and immigration...

I am an Australian, currently residing in Queensland, preparing to visit, and perhaps even migrate to Canada. I am looking for interesting stories, information and so forth, about people's experiences, the immigration red-tape and some meaningless but useful anecdotes, to help steer me towards a different life.

Upon searching for information, finding this post was rather amusing... the country I wish to leave behind purportedly ranking above the country I would like to make my home. Someone was obviously viewing these statistics through rose-coloured glasses. I hate to break it to everyone, but Australia is a truly remarkable Island Continent, but many of it's inhabitants certainly aren't (yet another reason for wanting to leave, I could rave on for hours, but since it's my first post, I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate).

My location in Australia is Brisbane, a medium sized city, population about 1.25 million, not massive, but geographically widely spread, giving a large 'country town' feel, but certainly behaves like a small city. Certainly not burgeois, nor ghetto, many who reside here remain due to the warm climate.

Anyway, thats enough from me for the moment, feel free to email me if you have any information, stories or experiences relating to Canada or Australia. I am always interested in peoples experiences.

Thanks.
J.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
JoeyB said:
Australia is a truly remarkable Island Continent, but many of it's inhabitants certainly aren't (yet another reason for wanting to leave, I could rave on for hours, but since it's my first post, I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate).

My location in Australia is Brisbane, a medium sized city, population about 1.25 million, not massive, but geographically widely spread, giving a large 'country town' feel, but certainly behaves like a small city. Certainly not burgeois, nor ghetto, many who reside here remain due to the warm climate.

Most Canadians don't want to leave either, but the wanting of more money and warmer weather often lead Canuck south to the States. Australia's nice climate and isolation makes it a place hard to leave.

As for Brisbane, it is not the fastest growing city in Australia?

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
I'm really interested to know whether it's the Brand Identity we have or the general intrigue about this remote island that has everyone thinking we are just so *f* ing good?

"We are no different to you"

we just live upside down

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
This is the company that does Canada’s branding for the Canadian Tourism Commission. There was a Canadian Business magazine profile on them on how they switched the traditional image of the Mounties with one of two men kissing each of them holding a small Canadian flag. Another image they created features discarded clothes by a pool.

Canadians do have a fetish about these indexes and rankings that is not shared by other countries and so may be winning these contests by default. Success may be related to promotion.

http://www.pjddb.com/flash.html

Go to ideas and click on the picture of the ape in the bottom left corner to get an idea of the kinds of ads they do.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Re: RE: World Loves Canada: Voted Second Best Nation

sarahis4lsu said:
OK.. WHY IS CHINA SO FAR DOWN ON THE LIST... EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA

Because China is still emerging. Give it time. And what is made in China, is usually from Western Compagnies that move there. Though slowly alot of Chinese compagnies are emerging and taking large portions of the consumer market. Technology for example, with their state owned LG Compagnie.

I think that this is stupid. How does 10 countries or 25 nations represent the world? There are close to 300 nations in the world, how are they represented? Somebody took all the Developed Western Countries and a handful of others that the West either agrees with or is afraid of and made a completely arbitrary ranking system.

If you didn't guess it I will come out and say it-I am extremely skeptical of this arbitrary ranking system.