Women's Hockey Team Booz-Up

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
TenPenny - there upset with drinking in public and underage drinking.

that is the problem if they did it private as a couple of said even in the written article it would of been better. no one would of gave a butt care.

and you don't assume your countries going to win by a long start. That is how people were before mricle on ice... happen... yea it was back than but still anything can happen.

countryboy -NO konw said they couldn't have beer or cig.. its in PUBLIC VIEW IS THE DAMN PROBLEM READ BETWEEN THE DAMN FREAKING LINES.

No one is complaing about that. the fact of the matter what there complain about is the ice hockey party... after words... not in locker room where should of been.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yeah, I wonder how life shortening the smoking of one cigar would be, statistically that is- probably 10-12 seconds. :lol:

That is not the point, JLM. These athletes are a role model for girls all over Canada (and perhaps even overseas). Their smoking sets a very bad example for the girls.

Teenage girls don’t take the proper view of it, they don’t think to themselves, well they have won a gold medal, if the smoke a cigar after that, it is no big deal. When I win a gold medal, I will also light up.

Teenage girls don’t think that way. They see gold medalists, women whom they idolize light up. That gives them the message that smoking is cool.

I have no problem with drinking, but I definitely have a problem with smoking. If they want to smoke in private, that is their business. But to smoke in such a way that it will be known publicly, that was definitely irresponsible on their part.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The only problem i see is it was in "public view" ok so next time they just celebrate next time in the room. Its not uncommon for any team to do something similar to this.

It does not matter if you are from usa,russia, mexican, etc... there a rules you are suppose to obey especially since you got other countries in your country.

Quite so, when they won the gold medal, they became celebrities, now they have a responsibility to the public. And smoking in public is definitely not setting a good example to the teenage girls.

Let them do what they want in private. When they smoke in public, they are sending entirely the wrong message to teenage girls.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
As I stated previously, they were 'dumb' to do this celebrating on the ice, don't know why they chose to
do that, they were just setting themselves up for exactly
what they got, so in some ways, I don't feel sympathy for
them.
What's the matter with the coach and manager, who should
have made sure this was done in their dressing room, their
own space.
Now the media is running with it, can't wait to ask poll
questions etc., and of course, in come all of the critics
of the behavior.
I'm now hearing on the media that there were underage players,
not just one, so, this is what happens when media get a hold of
what they think is a 'good' story.
They will probably have to make some sort of apology now,
just like montgomery had to for drinking the beer on his
walk to the stage, as someone handed him a jug of beer,
and he gleefully walked with it sipping, nothing wrong
with that for me, BUT it is for some, and they make
sure they speak up.
I think the women's hockey team made a poor choice.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"I have no problem with drinking, but I definitely have a problem with smoking. If they want to smoke in private, that is their business. But to smoke in such a way that it will be known publicly, that was definitely irresponsible on their part."

As usual, there is a fatal flaw in your pretense/logic.

No smoking has ever driven a person to jeopardize the family's bread and butter. But drinking has done so, over and over again.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
god you people just don't get it. it sending the wrong message to kids. it saying its ok to smoke cigs/drink

in public view... drinking in public is against the law. You are supporting it like it was nothing. yet you all bitch and complain about other people.

ohh noo, the CHILDREN! Heaven forbid they see an adult drinking alcohol. I would guess they see much worse at any given hour with regular TV programming.

Also, how is drinking on the ice surface any different then spectators drinking in the stands, both are drinking in "public view", no?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
god you people just don't get it. it sending the wrong message to kids. it saying its ok to smoke cigs/drink

in public view... drinking in public is against the law. You are supporting it like it was nothing. yet you all bitch and complain about other people.

I should have read your posts before I posted, critter (and I will before I post any further). You are expressing exactly my views.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I guess you could interpret their behaviour as gloating, but I thought it was more like celebrating a victory. I saw more lack of sportsmanship in the U.S. team's collective behaviour...they looked like a bunch of poor losers, in spite of the fact that they won a silver medal.

The opinion of the IOC's president is a different matter - I'm not sure where he's coming from with that rather weird viewpoint on women's hockey...I think he deemed it "unfair" that there is so much strength in just two teams. Well gee, I guess the answer to that would be to develop some strength in some other countries instead of whining about unfairness. I would think that if his version of "fairness" gets applied across the board to all the events, the Olympics would become smaller in a hell of a hurry. Perhaps he should look back on curling to see how that evolved.

There was nothing wrong with their behavior, countryboy if done in private. But smoking in public sends an entirely wrong message to teenage girls all over Canada.

As to the Olympic Committee, they would be perfectly justified in scrapping the event, since there are only two teams which dominate it. They may have introduced it in the hope that it may encourage other counties to develop women’s hockey. But if that is not happening, they would be justified in scraping the event.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They should have turned the supposed debauchery up a notch with a lesbian orgy at centre ice, really give all these repressed, sensitive types something to bitch about.

Reactions: El Barto

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Quite so, when they won the gold medal, they became celebrities, now they have a responsibility to the public. And smoking in public is definitely not setting a good example to the teenage girls.

Let them do what they want in private. When they smoke in public, they are sending entirely the wrong message to teenage girls.

For crying out loud, don't be such a prude. They puffed on a cigar, no harm. How many other sport winners swill champagne after they win.

Reactions: DurkaDurka

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
From what i gather they thought they were alone ,very few saw them. If this was done out in the streets then hmmm nah they still deserve to celebrate the way they did.

As for being an example yeah riiiiiiiiiiight when those kids that heard of this and drink their first beer I will seriously doubt the will have the Canadians woman gold chapmions of 2010 in mind . One would have to be really naive to think that. They would have to have grown up in a place like saudi arabia and even then curiousity will get the best of them.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"I have no problem with drinking, but I definitely have a problem with smoking. If they want to smoke in private, that is their business. But to smoke in such a way that it will be known publicly, that was definitely irresponsible on their part."

As usual, there is a fatal flaw in your pretense/logic.

No smoking has ever driven a person to jeopardize the family's bread and butter. But drinking has done so, over and over again.

There is no flaw in the logic, YJ. The difference between smoking and drinking is that drinking in moderation doesn’t hurt you (some say that a drink a day may be even good for you). Smoking is harmful from the first puff of the first cigarette; the damage to lungs begins right away.

It is particularly harmful to convey the message to teenagers that smoking is cool (and that is the message they conveyed to the teenagers, perhaps unwittingly).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
ohh noo, the CHILDREN! Heaven forbid they see an adult drinking alcohol. I would guess they see much worse at any given hour with regular TV programming.

Also, how is drinking on the ice surface any different then spectators drinking in the stands, both are drinking in "public view", no?

In my opinion, drinking was not the problem, smoking was.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
SirJosephPorter, you obviously never read my post #24.

Smoking is BAD, if you inhale.

BUT NOBODY INHALES CIGAR.

Last edited:

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire

Look at the laws and come back to talk to me. Before bashing my own opioion i never said it was wrong. i said the way they did it was wrong. you can get arrested for being intoxicted in public so why allow it in public?

My friends wanted me to drink when i was underage... i said NO. but i did allow someone to drive me back home who did drink i was not thinking of that till a couple seconds after words. (i made that mistake) but i knew him since i was little

I should have read your posts before I posted, critter (and I will before I post any further). You are expressing exactly my views.

Hey its all good no harm no foul, can't read every single post here anyways. Epscially with my writing ;)

usa vs finland at moment (men of course) 6-0