Why canadians are proud of their country?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The king was your ruler, you tossed him out. Hence became traitors to your homeland.

Was is correct, and traitors to the crown is correct, just because you enjoy living under an archaic tribal form of government doesn't mean everyone else has to. In fact most of the world has gotten rid of rulers conceived between the sheets.

Starving people to death is the benchmark is it? Have you had a chance to visit the slums? People starve in the U.S. daily and aside from humanitarians, no one gives a rat's a$$. Sure people SAY they care, but damned if they had to put their money where their collective mouth is.

And? I don't see your queen running to house your homeless either. So what EXACTLY is her purpose? And what EXACTLY does she do anyway, other than look down upon her "subjects"?

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Well today I have found the epitome of strange conversations.....

When Logic7 and Canucklehead discuss history ... I am amazed at the possibility of revisionist thought and how things can take a course I seem to have missed along my plodding way in school...

Do continue with more thought fellas.... you reach new heights

Eh? Please elaborate a bit. I am giving my opinion, not a history lesson by any means but simply an observation.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Logic 7 just thinks its stupid to have a queen, we should have a ruling council of Clerics instead. He has a real bee in his bonnet about women it seems.

He also seems to forget not only have we repulsed America before (including burning their presidential palace to the ground, leaving them so broke they couldn't afford to do anything but whitewash the scorch marks, hence the white house) but we also fought in wars without them, which we won. Generally our victory record is alot better.

so, until we "purge ourself of the Jewish menace" Logic 7 will still despise the country, all the while reaping its benefits.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Check your stats again #juan, because you're incorrect. Canada ranked fifth or sixth I believe in percentage of recruits. And anyway, half your army and nearly 80% of your Air Force never left Canada anyway. You did however have the 3rd largest navy, albeit it was mostly frigates and transport ships.

In WW1 Canada had about 600,000 in uniform. We had 67,000 killed and 173,000 wounded from a population of under 8 million people. We must have gone over there....I know the Germans didn't come here. Our losses are sure as hell more than ten percent of the U.S. losses that our respective populations would indicate we should expect.

In WW2 we had 1,100,000 in uniform. We had 42,000 killed and 55,000 wounded from a population of under 11 million people. This is not counting the Merchant Marine who had terrible losses. Canada trained air crews for dozens of countries in WW2 at training bases all across Canada. We also turned out "Liberty ships" and Corvettes by the hundreds.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
In WW1 Canada had about 600,000 in uniform. We had 67,000 killed and 173,000 wounded from a population of under 8 million people. We must have gone over there....I know the Germans didn't come here. Our losses are sure as hell more than ten percent of the U.S. losses that our respective populations would indicate we should expect.

In WW2 we had 1,100,000 in uniform. We had 42,000 killed and 55,000 wounded from a population of under 11 million people. This is not counting the Merchant Marine who had terrible losses. Canada trained air crews for dozens of countries in WW2 at training bases all across Canada. We also turned out "Liberty ships" and Corvettes by the hundreds.

Yeah, I know all that, your stats are still wrong though.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
He also seems to forget not only have we repulsed America before (including burning their presidential palace to the ground, leaving them so broke they couldn't afford to do anything but whitewash the scorch marks, hence the white house) but we also fought in wars without them, which we won. Generally our victory record is alot better.

And Alexander Graham Bell was a Canadian. :roll:

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
i'd like to toss into the mix that when we fought with america we beat their sorry ass and burned down the white house.
So it's a 1 nothing win win for our side:canada:

We used to buy 8% brador and watch the yankee tourists drop like flies after 3 beers back in the day.
mwwwuuuuuaaaaaahahahahaha

their bacon sucks too it's all fatty.....

"Bonds" with the meat and potatoes of the CC forum:idea:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, I know all that, your stats are still wrong though.

You saying things are wrong don't prove anything. Name one country who had a greater number per capita killed or wounded in WW1. Should be easy since you put us in fourth or fifth place.

Name me one country among the allies that had a greater contribution per capita than Canada in WW2.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
1.) read your own history on 1812.
2.) He was Scottish, then emigrated to Canada, then became a US citizen in 1882.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
You saying things are wrong don't prove anything. Name one country who had a greater number per capita killed or wounded in WW1. Should be easy since you put us in fourth or fifth place.

I put you 4th of 5th place on the per capita contribution of WWII, not WWI, read what I posted, again.

Name me one country among the allies that had a greater contribution per capita than Canada in WW2.

Australia, New Zealand and Great Briton.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
1.) read your own history on 1812.
2.) He was Scottish, then emigrated to Canada, then became a US citizen in 1882.

I know my history, thanks.

The Fourth Regiment of Foot, Light Infantry of the King's Own Army set the White House ablaze in retaliation of leveling your own government buildings (And they were ALL British). Funny how most omit that little tidbit.

Yes, he was Scottish, and yes he DID emigrate to the Domion of Canada under British Rule and then became a citizen of the US in 1882. And on his gravestone, he wanted the simple words "Citizen of the United States" carved on it. Which it is BTW.

Truly, Canadians have so much to be proud of and on occassion you invoke folklore and myths. And your Arrogant Worms don't help any.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
It's odd how the British leader of that war Brock who died is buried in Queenston NY and has a huge memorial to him fittingly honoring the man.....also when we won the americans did us honor by firing their guns off in salute....
ahhhhh chivalry and polite society...dem were da days....
i love both our countries warts and all

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It's odd how the British leader of that war Brock who died is buried in Queenston NY and has a huge memorial to him fittingly honoring the man.....also when we won the americans did us honor by firing their guns off in salute....
ahhhhh chivalry and polite society...dem were da days....
i love both our countries warts and all

I respect and admire both countries. Each developed in it's own way, not necessarily one better than the other. It's when myth turns into history that gets my blood boiling.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I put you 4th of 5th place on the per capita contribution of WWII, not WWI, read what I posted, again.

Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain.

At the start of WW2 Australia had a population of 7 million and New Zealand about 2 million.

Australia had 30,000 killed and New Zealand about ten thousand.

Great Britain had a population of around 47 million and 400 thousand of her soldiers were killed.

I don't know where you get your numbers from to make us fifth or sixth.(which is what you wrote.)

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Was is correct, and traitors to the crown is correct, just because you enjoy living under an archaic tribal form of government doesn't mean everyone else has to. In fact most of the world has gotten rid of rulers conceived between the sheets.

And? I don't see your queen running to house your homeless either. So what EXACTLY is her purpose? And what EXACTLY does she do anyway, other than look down upon her "subjects"?

The Queen is a figurehead with but few powers over us but it is still nice to acknowledge our rootsby remaining on good terms with the 'old country' and honouring them.

That may be true but there is less of a starvation issue up here than down there as far as I can tell. Maybe it's that the US network news distorts reality and provides a jaded, one sided view of US society. We are hardly perfect up here, don't get me wrong, I was commenting specifically on the King/Colony situation in comparison to how things are now. Similar in my eyes but with different structure(governance). That is all.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/royals/queenelizabeth.html

Elizabeth is one of the wealthiest women in the world, with a net worth of $818 million in 2004, according to Forbes magazine. This is the result of a nest egg put aside for her by her father during his reign as king. Other estimates put her personal fortune at more than $4 billion, or as much as $16 billion if the Royal Collection -- which includes the crown jewels - is included.
I stand corrected8O

But Canadians give her squat unless we invite her for a Royal visit.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
i'd like to toss into the mix that when we fought with america we beat their sorry ass and burned down the white house.
So it's a 1 nothing win win for our side:canada:

Depends on who you ask. The Americans burned York (Toronto). And Laura Secord fed everybody chocolate or something. If you ask a Canadian, we won. If you ask an American, they won. In reality it was a mixed bag and probably a tie. No shootouts back then.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
At the start of WW2 Australia had a population of 7 million and New Zealand about 2 million.

Australia had 30,000 killed and New Zealand about ten thousand.

Great Britain had a population of around 47 million and 400 thousand of her soldiers were killed.

I don't know where you get your numbers from to make us fifth or sixth.(which is what you wrote.)

I get it from the history books. A book I highly recommend to get yur feet wet in WWI and WWII history; The Home Front Encyclopedia: United States, Britain, and Canada in World Wars I and II.

In the meantime, you like Wiki?

taken as a percentage of the population, Canada's enlistment of 1.1 million military personnel represents a proportionately smaller mobilization than that which occurred in Great Britain, Australia, or New Zealand. Approximately 60% of Canadian males aged 18 to 45 did not serve in the armed forces during the war. In addition, approximately half of Canada's army and three-quarters of its air-force personnel never left the country, compared to the overseas deployment of approximately three-quarters of the forces of Australia, New Zealand, and the United States.

That sums it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_and_the_Second_World_War

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The Queen is a figurehead with but few powers over us but it is still nice to acknowledge our rootsby remaining on good terms with the 'old country' and honouring them.

The Queen is a figurehead that chooses not to excercise her reserved powers. She can disband Parliament and is the Commander of the Canadian Forces. That's alot of power for a "figurehead".
Now personally, I think Elizabeth has reigned pretty well. She's sharp. smart and overall not too shabby. It's the institution she represents that I dislike.

That may be true but there is less of a starvation issue up here than down there as far as I can tell. Maybe it's that the US network news distorts reality and provides a jaded, one sided view of US society. We are hardly perfect up here, don't get me wrong, I was commenting specifically on the King/Colony situation in comparison to how things are now. Similar in my eyes but with different structure(governance). That is all.

You never struck me as someone who likes to play the number games. So if we have 1% starving and you have .8% starving, everything is all fine and dandy? Point being, I see no purpose of the monarchy, as a matter of fact, I consider it a direct insult that someone attains that kind of position by sheer luck of the sheets. If it doesn't bother you, then good on you! But don't make it sound as if the best thing that ever happened to Canada was the monarchy, personally, I think it's the WORST thing that has ever happened, it has kept you from forming your own identity.