Who eats out?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
``sea bass, lobster, collosal shrimps and scallops. Only steak in my house is tendeloin. Fresh caught trout and salmon. Mustard crusted rack of lamb. Tanoori chicken. Ginger marmalade cornish game hens. Trout baked in sea salt (best way ever to do trout). Every kind of rice and curry dish``

All that and more!:smile:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
``My pies are supreme``

OK, that is my one cooking weakness --- my pies are OK but cakes are something I am not too good at making.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey RSK,

Please share your recipe for Tandoori chicken with us.

Thanx!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
We eat out occasionally. Our local pub makes decent fish n chips, Quizzno's makes a good sandwich, and the odd restaurant makes a good meal. We like the odd burger, too, but since our A & W went to a McDonald's style burger and we don't have a Dairy Queen here, we won't eat a fast food burger unless it's in a restaurant that makes homestyle burgers. If I want something that is as flavorful as paper, I will eat paper, not a McD's style pattie.

harleyhunny

Time Out
Feb 25, 2008
International
Hey Gopher my grandfather was born in a place I think it was called Mankato, anyways he was born in Minnesota, have cousins there still.
What is the problem with your cakes, maybe I can help. I make really good cake, but my pies are the sellers. I sell fresh fruit pies in the summer in Canada at a farmers market.
Look in recipes.com for that Tandoori chicken recipe if it is not supplied on here.
I sent a ethnic recipe to the other site (ethnic food), crab Tostados. It goes over big in my casa!
Some dishes are hard to give a recipe to, as there is no measurements or like. I like to make red beans and rice, but really have no measurements to give.
Do you like boston baked beans?

harleyhunny

Time Out
Feb 25, 2008
International
Years ago I took my daughter to the new MacDonalds in Chilliwack, she was around 3, anyways I thought she would like this, well.... she took one look at her kids meal, looked at me, and asked if we could go home and get some real food. Everyone got quite the chuckle out of that. So I had to give her meal to some other little kid.
My kids love veggies, especially the green ones, broccoli, asparagus, they were never a problem to feed, but good food, goes a long way in securing good eating habits.
They love fresh seafood.

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
The Crow & Gate Pub in Nanaimo. Started going there when we moved to Gabriola Island about ten years ago. It is a traditional British pub run by British ex-pats but they do a good job on Curries as well as typical British pub food. They do a beef dip that is to die for. Their desserts are completely decadent and absolutely delicious.
I love the place, it was the first pub in BC to get the "Neighbourhood Pub" license!

harleyhunny

Time Out
Feb 25, 2008
International
Gopher, what is wrong with your pies? Let me know maybe I can help.
Or give you my flakey pie crust recipe. It was handed down to me by my southern granny.
I have a pickled beet recipe that is really good, they got snap. ( I put in pepper corns, fresh). A friend of mine told his wife that mine made hers taste like water. Dolt, spend a few days on the couch. LOL!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
hehehe My pies never turn out very well either. Fortunately my wife's do turn out. lol mmmm Pickled beets. mmmmm Pickled, cukes. mmmmmmm Pickled beans n carrots. mmmm Pickled sausage. Not impressed with pickled pig's feet, though. Guess I am a picky eater. lol
Our daughters both wanted raw veggies and anything seafood. Turned their noses up at anything except the pickles n pop at McD's.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Tandoori Chicken

I cook it like Butter Chicken not Tandoori.

1/3 cup plain no fat yogurt
4 tbsp Tandoori curry paste
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts cubed to bite sized pieces
s&p to taste

In a large skillet cook bite sized cubes of chicken till no longer pink inside. Add yougurt curry paste mixture to pan. Reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve with basmati rice and dried cranberries. (most of my rice dishes have cranberries in them, 1/3 cup per 1 cup rice)

If your good and have more time, marinate chcicken for 6 hrs in yougurt curry mixture and try make your own curry paste. I use prepared Tandoori paste because it is low fat.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
~~ Gopher, what is wrong with your pies? ~~

Perhaps it's the crust - it usually comes out either too soft and mushy or it gets too browned and dried.

Well, the pies do come out OK but not to the same level as my casseroles or soups. On a scale of 10, they rate about a 5 at most. :-(

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
RSK,

Sounds good!

My recipe is just about the same except that it features a bit more ginger and no cranberries. For sweetness, I use small guinea bananas which are pan fried and are a superb side dish.

Guinea or finger bananas:

Last edited:

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Placement of pies in oven is critical. Too high top burns bottom is mushy. Too low bottom overdone and top not browned. Try different racks and positions in oven when baking pies.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Placement of pies in oven is critical. Too high top burns bottom is mushy. Too low bottom overdone and top not browned. Try different racks and positions in oven when baking pies.

Here's something from Betty Crocker's book that has just now been re-released:

For well-baked, browned undercrust, choose pie pans of glass or enamelware. Shiny metal does not bake the undercrust as well because it deflects the heat.

NOW I KNOW!:smile:

Charshine

Mar 4, 2008
Vancouver, BC
*must...not...commment on above post* haha

I eat out at a restaurant about once a week, usually on the weekend. I love cooking at home, but restaurants are fun and i like the adventure of trying something new...without having to screw it up at home, haha. Also, just because you eat somewhere besides home, doesn't make it unhealthy! =) I'm lucky to live in Vancouver, the land of many restaurants (and not all chains!). I used to live in Abbotsford and it's full of chain restaurants. When i was living there, my boyfriend at the time asked me what my favourite places to eat were. I answered with places like White Spot and IHOP. After living here for a year, he asked me that same question again, and now it's full of all sorts of different little restaurants and pubs around Vancouver. If i'm going to go out to eat, it's going to be somewhere good!

Well...i still love IHOP...i mean c'mon...it's IHOP!!! =)