When People Laugh At You For Mentioning That Communism is A Real Threat To Canada. Ask Them What is The Difference Between Total Equity and Communism?

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
And the billionaires will continue to fly their penis-shaped rockets into outer space while the majority are just trying to make ends meet.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
So the current cost of living is $45k to $50k in the Okanagan. A typical McDonald's franchise makes a NET profit of $150,000/yr. Guess the McDonalds in the Okanagan should be forced to decide which 7 of their employees will get that $45-$50K a year while the rest continue getting minimum wage, right?
Not necessarily, but they will not have access to as large a labour pool as businesses that aren't tied to pricing set by the franchiser. Prices have been going up noticeably at fast food joints aound here, you're not likely to get through the drive-through for less than ten or fifteen bucks. And the local McDonald's has a sign out front advertising a starting rate at two bucks an hour above minimum wage. Even at that rate I expect they are drawing on youngsters living at home with their parents and seniors finding their retirement income leaving them a little short to fill their labour needs.

You keep pushing your idea of the way things should be, while these businesses are forced to deal with the way things are. You can't force people into these jobs if they don't want them. The current shortages in all sectors is giving people better choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serryah

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Not necessarily, but they will not have access to as large a labour pool as businesses that aren't tied to pricing set by the franchiser. Prices have been going up noticeably, and the local McDonald's has a sign out front advertising a starting rate at two buck on hour above minimum wage. Even at that rate I expect they are drawing on youngsters living at home and seniors finding their retirement income leaving them a little short to fill their labour needs.

You keep pushing your idea of the way things should be, while these businesses are forced to deal with the way things are. You can't force people into these jobs if they don't want them. The current shortages in all sectors is giving people better choices.
What is wrong with children working and seniors making a little extra cash ? If the CPP paid those seniors a decent return on their 40 plus year investment maybe they wouldn’t need the extra doe . Another fact is many seniors take a job just to keep busy .

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
What is wrong with children working and seniors making a little extra cash ? If the CPP paid those seniors a decent return on their 40 plus year investment maybe they wouldn’t need the extra doe . Another fact is many seniors take a job just to keep busy .
Nothing. I'm just tired of people whining that CERB payments are keeping everyone at home in front of the Playstation. I'm sure it's happening to some degree, it always has, but certainly not to the extent that it's the only, or even biggest reason for the shortages in the service sector. Employers who can't pay a living wage are simply going to have to settle for leftovers in the labour market.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nothing. I'm just tired of people whining that CERB payments are keeping everyone at home in front of the Playstation. I'm sure it's happening to some degree, it always has, but certainly not to the extent that it's the only, or even biggest reason for the shortages in the service sector. Employers who can't pay a living wage are simply going to have to settle for leftovers in the labour market.
Our governments are largely responsible for the so called race to the bottom by encouraging low profit tourism businesses while deliberately making it uneconomical or often impossible for the high paying resource and manufacturing industries to survive in Canada.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Not the point. Between the provincial government and the feds this is just another subsidy to provide relief to an industry that continues to reap profits while you and I foot the bill to clean up after them. How is that ? Especially when the law says they are to clean up after themselves. This screams the question as to just who is running the show.

I can't help but notice that the same people who say minimum wage workers should "go back to school and get a better job" are the ones getting behind government support to an industry that is fully able to stand on its own two feet.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's not true. I do not advocate for communism, but it is clear that a greater measure of equality is a must for our society to endure as anything other than a new aristocracy. We have a good system in Canada with our blend of free-market capitalism and social programs, we have just let greed at the top of the food chain grow unrestrained to the point where quality of life for rank-and-file Canadians is suffering. The constant clanging of "communist" alarm bells is a distraction from working on a better life for all Canadians, not just a fortunate few. We don't need communism, we just need a to tweak our capitalism a bit to get some control back in the hands of individuals. That would mean getting elected representatives into Ottawa that don't answer to the corporate sector before they answer to society as a whole.
Social Programs ( Human Capital Investments) aren't for your benefit.

What Is Human Capital?​

The term human capital refers to the economic value of a worker's experience and skills. Human capital includes assets like education, training, intelligence, skills, health, and other things employers value such as loyalty and punctuality. As such, it is an intangible asset or quality that isn't (and can't be) listed on a company's balance sheet. Human capital is perceived to increase productivity and thus profitability. The more investment a company makes in its employees, the chances of its productivity and success becomes higher.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Not the point. Between the provincial government and the feds this is just another subsidy to provide relief to an industry that continues to reap profits while you and I foot the bill to clean up after them. How is that ? Especially when the law says they are to clean up after themselves. This screams the question as to just who is running the show.

I can't help but notice that the same people who say minimum wage workers should "go back to school and get a better job" are the ones getting behind government support to an industry that is fully able to stand on its own two feet.
Who do you expect to pay for abandoned well cleanup if the company no longer exists? That is why new well license regulations changed to cover for this

Reactions: petros