What's your favourite comfort food?

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Everybody seems to have a favourite comfort food ... one they cook after a bad day or when it's nasty out or when they just wanna remember good ole mom.

My previous favourite was meatloaf (with a jar of salsa mixed in). We recently found a new one ...

Ground beef ... very, very well browned
whole onion, chopped coarsely
whole whack of garlic (cloves are best, naturally)
seasoning salt

for the gravy, the easy way is a can of mushroom soup, for the purist, add flour to the ground beef, stir well, add spices (cook's preference), add a cup of water

veggies ... either frozen mixed veggies, or if you're ambitious, cut up an assortment of any kind of veggies

Cook till vegies are tender.

Cook up a package of medium sized egg noodles, add the hamburger stuff to the cooked noodles. Serve with homemade baking powder buscuits. Num!

For leftovers, put in a pan with real butter and fry. Even better the seond day! ;)

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Big fresh jumbo shrimps...pan fried with a large clove of garlic, some onions, and salt.

That bout 1 of 5 things I can make that are actually edible....kids love it too.

LindzyRae

Nominee Member
Jan 1, 2006
Sault Ste. Marie
I'm something of a traditionalist when it comes to comfort food. Nothing beats me mothers homemade turkey noodle soup made every thanksgiving and christmas. That and vanilla carmel swirl icecream with pumpkin pie. :thumbup:

poligeek

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Toronto
Mine are weird:

Olive Salsa, and chips
Or... just the olives....
Or the olives with vodka....

Crackers and mayonaise with hot pickled peppers.

Carrot cake (that one's "normal" right?)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Re: RE: What's your favourite comfort food?

Hank C said:
Big fresh jumbo shrimps...pan fried with a large clove of garlic, some onions, and salt.

That bout 1 of 5 things I can make that are actually edible....kids love it too.

May I suggest that you use another pan to fry bacon, chop them into bits, and add it to your prawn dish. When bacon is combined with onion it adds much flavor to your prawns. And for extra flavor add Italian salad dressing . Hmmm, hmmm! :D

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Eggo waffles- the flavored kinds... strawberry and chocolate chip are my favorites.

Also cookie dough, can be store bought since it seems silly to make cookie dough and not turn any of it into cookies.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Who likes macaroni and cheese?

Not Kraft Dinner but real macaroni with good, sharp, cheddar cheese.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I love the stuff....but I don't like "sharp" cheeses, but I have never used them in mac and cheese before...I think I will give it a try.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Potatoe Chips, Dulse some more potatoe chips followed by more Dulse and a good book. I never eat anything with sugar, I loath anything that is sweet.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Ice cream - any kind - even new kinds - preferably not too laden with stuff.

Rumaki - don't ask - most people don't like it

Carrot Cake -most people don't like this either.

Key Lime Pie

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
RE: What's your favourite

Mashed potatoes, and that's it. No gravy, and no special recipe; a bit of garlic is nice sometimes, but I'm happy with just plain old mashed potatoes. :)