Visit to Talloola's country......almost..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yesterday Jan and I drove out to Port Alberni and hopped on a little frieghter that goes from one end of Barclay Sound to the other.
The ship goes from Port Alberni to Bamfield. The trip takes almost eight hours return. This is a daily trip that brings mail, groceries,
and other needed goods to the dozen or so communities along the way. The little ship makes numerous stops and you get a close look at a number of the little towns along Barclay Sound . I would recommend the trip to anyone.

This is the ship:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It's too bad you only went that far Juan. The Lady Rose used to leave Bamfield and come to Ucluelet. It docked at our restaurant. She got too old and they quit using her and they turned to a different ship. I forget the name. Everyone loves that trip. I have only ridden on the RCMP boat from Port to Tofino. What a great trip though.
If memory serves - I think the next ship was called The Barclay. Is that the name of the boat you are showing?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yesterday Jan and I drove out to Port Alberni and hopped on a little frieghter that goes from one end of Barclay Sound to the other.
The ship goes from Port Alberni to Bamfield. The trip takes almost eight hours return. This is a daily trip that brings mail, groceries,
and other needed goods to the dozen or so communities along the way. The little ship makes numerous stops and you get a close look at a number of the little towns along Barclay Sound . I would recommend the trip to anyone.

This is the ship:

we use to see 'the lady rose' when we fished out of china creek, in the alberni inlet, it did the same trip, but
they sold that boat, have that one now which you took, is it also called the lady rose?

sounds like a fun day, beautiful country over there.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The ship they are using now is called the Francis Barclay. It is not a big ship; about ninety feet long with a 22 foot beam. It is comfortable enough for eight hours. Longer than that might get a bit tedious.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The ship they are using now is called the Francis Barclay. It is not a big ship; about ninety feet long with a 22 foot beam. It is comfortable enough for eight hours. Longer than that might get a bit tedious.

yes it would, good thing it doesn't 'still' go to ucluelet as well, would have been a longer trip, but that
would be a beautiful little ride from the top of alberni inlet over to ucluelet, through the broken islands.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Thank you. I could not remember the name. Barclay came through but I forgot the "Francis". I don't know if it still runs to Ucluelet or not. I think it used to come in twice a week. It's been a long time since we lived there.

we use to see 'the lady rose' when we fished out of china creek, in the alberni inlet, it did the same trip, but
they sold that boat, have that one now which you took, is it also called the lady rose?

sounds like a fun day, beautiful country over there.
To the best of my knowledge Talloola, they just retired The Lady Rose. It was a really old boat and had taken about as much travel as was possible. They stopped using it on the run to Ucluelet at least 16 years ago, or maybe a tad longer. Word was it was just no longer safe to run it. Quite often on days we were expecting the boat in, we would get word that it was broken down somewhere. So - sometimes it wouldn't even make it there. The Francis Barclay wasn't a new ship when it took over so it must be getting really old now too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
yes it would, good thing it doesn't 'still' go to ucluelet as well, would have been a longer trip, but that
would be a beautiful little ride from the top of alberni inlet over to ucluelet, through the broken islands.

I think it does the full trip twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays. The amenities on the ship are pretty spartan and the little galley has a limited menu. A pop machine would help a little but don't get me wrong. We enjoyed the ride.

Thank you. I could not remember the name. Barclay came through but I forgot the "Francis". I don't know if it still runs to Ucluelet or not. I think it used to come in twice a week. It's been a long time since we lived there.

To the best of my knowledge Talloola, they just retired The Lady Rose. It was a really old boat and had taken about as much travel as was possible. They stopped using it on the run to Ucluelet at least 16 years ago, or maybe a tad longer. Word was it was just no longer safe to run it. Quite often on days we were expecting the boat in, we would get word that it was broken down somewhere. So - sometimes it wouldn't even make it there. The Francis Barclay wasn't a new ship when it took over so it must be getting really old now too.

It is obvious that the Francis Barclay is not a new ship but the engines sound good and it does have GPS and full automatic pilot. The ship would drive into, and back out of, some of the narrow little inlets without the captain laying a hand on the wheel.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
VanIsle

It's too bad you only went that far Juan. The Lady Rose used to leave Bamfield and come to Ucluelet. It docked at our restaurant. She got too old and they quit using her and they turned to a different ship. I forget the name. Everyone loves that trip. I have only ridden on the RCMP boat from Port to Tofino. What a great trip though.
If memory serves - I think the next ship was called The Barclay. Is that the name of the boat you are showing
Hi VanIsle , Just wonder if you are from Uclulete, if you would be familiar with a family by the name of Eyford ( ma, pa and a three girls and one boy )...pretty good musical family ..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If memory serves - I think the next ship was called The Barclay. Is that the name of the boat you are showing?

Did the Uchuck make that run before serving Gold River- Tahsis?