B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

VANCOUVER MAYOR MOVES TO DECRIMINALIZE SIMPLE POSSESSION OF ILLICIT DRUGS​

safe_image.jpg

The Canadian Press

Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart says he's preparing to table a motion that would see city council vote on decriminalization of possession of illicit drugs for personal use.

He says the city has been at the forefront of drug policy change and it could become the first jurisdiction in Canada to make such a move.

After tabling the motion next week, Stewart says he'll write to federal officials requesting an exemption under the federal Controlled Drugs and Substances Act that would end at the city's boundaries.

The mayor says there have been more than 1,500 overdose deaths in Vancouver since the public health crisis was declared in April 2016, and 2020 has been the worst year so far.

Dr. Patricia Daly, chief medical health officer for Vancouver Coastal Health, says the COVID-19 pandemic has worsened the crisis, disrupting and intensifying the toxicity in the supply of illicit drugs and interrupting harm reduction and treatment services.

Stewart says Premier John Horgan wrote to the prime minister urging Ottawa to take steps toward the decriminalization of simple possession, while the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police also voiced its support for the idea earlier this year.

Reactions: taxslave

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sorry Ken but you and I both know it's not that people are dyeing. Vancouver is broke and cant afford the policing, housing, feeding, and health implication of feral people.

I know you're losing $Billions by having 20% of the city a "no go zone" in the eyes of developers and tourism.

40 years of letting that scum float to the surface is on the shoulders of the people of the city, not the Province and not the Feds.

Its nobody's problem but Vancouver's.

Own it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Vancouver could just stop busting addicts. It would amount to the same thing.
Without mandatory treatment I don't see decriminalizing as doing anything more than a feel good statement to curing the problem.