U.S.: Did President Bush Order Torture?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Re: RE: U.S.: Did President B

Reverend Blair said:
The FBI reported a man's thumbs being forced back to his wrists, Paco. People were anally raped with broom handles. It's systemic, it was reported in Afghanistan from the very start, it was reported in Guantanamo Bay, it was reported in Iraq.

You can continue living in denial and being an apologist for monsters if you so choose, but don't sit there and say nobody has a right to criticise you for it.

As for international laws....They apply the second that arrogant little prick in the White House allows US citizens to act outside of your own borders. Might doesn't make right, what it does is create another generation of terrorists.

and that other generation of terrorists is being raised just south of the 49th.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Re: RE: U.S.: Did President B

Reverend Blair said:
The FBI reported a man's thumbs being forced back to his wrists, Paco. People were anally raped with broom handles. It's systemic, it was reported in Afghanistan from the very start, it was reported in Guantanamo Bay, it was reported in Iraq.

You can continue living in denial and being an apologist for monsters if you so choose, but don't sit there and say nobody has a right to criticise you for it.

As for international laws....They apply the second that arrogant little prick in the White House allows US citizens to act outside of your own borders. Might doesn't make right, what it does is create another generation of terrorists.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
According to the FBI email linked in this thread there is no smoking gun and it would appear the FBI is confused.

There not confused they were more than likely had a call from Cheney telling them to wise up, recant and twist it so it makes "W" look better. A conspiracy if you ask me.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
According to the FBI email linked in this thread there is no smoking gun and it would appear the FBI is confused.

There not confused they were more than likely had a call from Cheney telling them to wise up, recant and twist it so it makes "W" look better. A conspiracy if you ask me.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That attitude does seem to be prevailing among the most vocal. What's interesting is that the White House seems to be backing away from their former pro-torture position, at least publicly, but their supporters are still giving us the same old line.

Just covering their own asses again, No 1...these guys are more corrupt thn Nixon.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That attitude does seem to be prevailing among the most vocal. What's interesting is that the White House seems to be backing away from their former pro-torture position, at least publicly, but their supporters are still giving us the same old line.

Just covering their own asses again, No 1...these guys are more corrupt thn Nixon.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: U.S.: Did President B

I don't think it's a matter of catching on, I think a lot of people just don't care. We've are constantly tols that all politicians are the same, that they're all crooked, that we can't get anyone less crooked. We've been trained to expect politicians to be crooked.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I don't think it's a matter of catching on, I think a lot of people just don't care. We've are constantly tols that all politicians are the same, that they're all crooked, that we can't get anyone less crooked. We've been trained to expect politicians to be crooked.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
White House Fought New Curbs on Interrogations, Officials Say
By Douglas Jehl and David Johnston
January 13, 2005

At the urging of the White House, Congressional leaders scrapped a legislative measure last month that would have imposed new restrictions on the use of extreme interrogation measures by American intelligence officers, Congressional officials say.

The defeat of the proposal affects one of the most obscure arenas of the war on terrorism, involving the Central Intelligence Agency's secret detention and interrogation of top terror leaders like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks, and about three dozen other senior members of Al Qaeda and its offshoots.

The Senate had approved the new restrictions, by a 96-to-2 vote, as part of the intelligence reform legislation. They would have explicitly extended to intelligence officers a prohibition against torture or inhumane treatment, and would have required the C.I.A. as well as the Pentagon to report to Congress about the methods they were using.

But in intense closed-door negotiations, Congressional officials said, four senior members from the House and Senate deleted the restrictions from the final bill after the White House expressed opposition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/13/politics/13intel.html?oref=login

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
January 13, 2005

At the urging of the White House, Congressional leaders scrapped a legislative measure last month that would have imposed new restrictions on the use of extreme interrogation measures by American intelligence officers, Congressional officials say.

The defeat of the proposal affects one of the most obscure arenas of the war on terrorism, involving the Central Intelligence Agency's secret detention and interrogation of top terror leaders like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks, and about three dozen other senior members of Al Qaeda and its offshoots.

The Senate had approved the new restrictions, by a 96-to-2 vote, as part of the intelligence reform legislation. They would have explicitly extended to intelligence officers a prohibition against torture or inhumane treatment, and would have required the C.I.A. as well as the Pentagon to report to Congress about the methods they were using.

But in intense closed-door negotiations, Congressional officials said, four senior members from the House and Senate deleted the restrictions from the final bill after the White House expressed opposition.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
January 13, 2005

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
This is what George Bush said about Torture:

And all Iraqi military and civilian personnel should listen carefully to this warning: In any conflict, your fate will depend on your actions. Do not destroy oil wells, a source of wealth that belongs to the Iraqi people. Do not obey any command to use weapons of mass destruction against anyone, including the Iraqi people. War crimes will be prosecuted, war criminals will be punished and it will be no defense to say, "I was just following orders."
--George W. Bush, 3/19/2003--
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81332,00.html

I expect them to be treated, the POWs, I expect to be treated humanely, just like we're treating the prisoners that we have captured humanely. If not, the people who mistreat the prisoners will be treated as war criminals.
--George W. Bush, 3/23/2003--
http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2003/s814471.htm

As the vise tightens on the Iraqi regime, some of our enemies have chosen to fill their final days with acts of cowardice and murder. In combat, Saddam's thugs shield themselves with women and children. They have killed Iraqi citizens who welcome coalition troops, and they have forced other Iraqis into battle by threatening to torture or kill their families. They have executed prisoners of war, waged attacks under the white flag of truce, and concealed combat forces in civilian neighborhoods, schools, hospitals and mosques. In this war, the Iraqi regime is terrorizing its own citizens, doing everything possible to maximize Iraqi civilian casualties, and then to exploit the deaths they have caused for propaganda. These are war criminals, and they'll be treated as war criminals.
In stark contrast, the citizens of Iraq are coming to know what kind of people we have sent to liberate them.
--George W. Bush, 4/6/2003--
http://usembassy.state.gov/nigeria/wwwhp040503a.html

Given the nature of this regime, we expect such war crimes. But we will not excuse them.
War criminals will be hunted relentlessly and judged severely.
--George W. Bush, 3/28/2003--
http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0303/28/se.23.html

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto

And all Iraqi military and civilian personnel should listen carefully to this warning: In any conflict, your fate will depend on your actions. Do not destroy oil wells, a source of wealth that belongs to the Iraqi people. Do not obey any command to use weapons of mass destruction against anyone, including the Iraqi people. War crimes will be prosecuted, war criminals will be punished and it will be no defense to say, "I was just following orders."

I expect them to be treated, the POWs, I expect to be treated humanely, just like we're treating the prisoners that we have captured humanely. If not, the people who mistreat the prisoners will be treated as war criminals.

As the vise tightens on the Iraqi regime, some of our enemies have chosen to fill their final days with acts of cowardice and murder. In combat, Saddam's thugs shield themselves with women and children. They have killed Iraqi citizens who welcome coalition troops, and they have forced other Iraqis into battle by threatening to torture or kill their families. They have executed prisoners of war, waged attacks under the white flag of truce, and concealed combat forces in civilian neighborhoods, schools, hospitals and mosques. In this war, the Iraqi regime is terrorizing its own citizens, doing everything possible to maximize Iraqi civilian casualties, and then to exploit the deaths they have caused for propaganda. These are war criminals, and they'll be treated as war criminals.
In stark contrast, the citizens of Iraq are coming to know what kind of people we have sent to liberate them.

Given the nature of this regime, we expect such war crimes. But we will not excuse them.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto